PDA

View Full Version : Capn Rod Gone For Good?

Duncan Gibbs
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
He had a particularly obnoxious and offensive post on Jim's Painting Sea Rover thread, which is gone and I can't find his user name on the search function.

Can we all breath a collective sigh of relief?

Or is it just McMullen playing funny buggers? :D

johnw
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
That's silly buggers to you, and if we are quite done with the Rodney I'm fine with that. At least the boat threads should be civil, if nothing else is.

paladin
07-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Good grief...missed the phun again!

RonW
07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Good to see your ugly mug again Paladin...

Yeadon
07-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Free CapnRod. We need him.

TerryLL
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Free CapnRod. We need him.

If you really feel that way, then invite him over to help with your next build. But I do believe Eric would be a better choice.

Duncan Gibbs
07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
But he's got a worm drive Terry!

James McMullen
07-28-2010, 11:38 PM
It wasn't me. He isn't me. I didn't even get to see that fatal post. But as his special penpal buddy, he did send me a couple of very detailed private messages in the last two days enumerating all of my many faults and failings in exhaustive, yet comprehensively misrepresented and misunderstood detail. I would really be sorry to see him gone, actually. I found him entertaining in exactly the same way it is hilarious to watch a little yappy dog savage an innocent chair leg.

Yeadon
07-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Earlier today I was staring at the plans for Atkin's Handy Andy. Eight feet long, with a four foot beam. A leg-o-mutton. I'd probably build her glued lap, paint her light light blue with bright rails, sail her for a season just for fun, then sell her as a dink. Where I live, I have room to do a project like this.

What says CapnRod?

Dave Gray
07-29-2010, 12:00 AM
. .. I found him entertaining in exactly the same way it is hilarious to watch a little yappy dog savage an innocent chair leg.

Funny, that is how I feel about most posts and ripostes in the bilge!

Glen Longino
07-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Funny, that is how I feel about most posts and ripostes in the bilge!

You upper deck hombres are supposed to set an example for us Bilge Rats!
I am so disappointed in you!

TerryLL
07-29-2010, 12:27 AM
You upper deck hombres are supposed to set an example for us Bilge Rats!

I must have missed that part in the Forum rules. Link please.

Glen Longino
07-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Forum rules?;)

James McMullen
07-29-2010, 12:41 AM
His name still comes up in the private messages recipients lists. I just sent him a congratulatory PM with a link to this thread. We'll see if a little chum in the waters can bring any action. . . .

skipper68
07-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Good grief...missed the phun again!WHOO HOO!!:D GLAD TO SEE YA BACK AGAIN!! You have noo idea how hard it was,when you wern't the voice of reason here,like trying to wrangle a heard of pumas!!Welcome back!:D:D

PeterSibley
07-29-2010, 02:26 AM
It wasn't me. He isn't me. I didn't even get to see that fatal post. But as his special penpal buddy, he did send me a couple of very detailed private messages in the last two days enumerating all of my many faults and failings in exhaustive, yet comprehensively misrepresented and misunderstood detail. I would really be sorry to see him gone, actually. I found him entertaining in exactly the same way it is hilarious to watch a little yappy dog savage an innocent chair leg.

You're a cruel buggar !:pBY:D

Duncan Gibbs
07-29-2010, 05:36 AM
The thlot pickens! :eek:

SMARTINSEN
07-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Too bad that we had to loose one of a building/repair thread to a combative moron. Though Ledger may have pulled it; he has been known to do that in the past.

There is no room for insult and rudeness above decks. While you may get Scotted for an your peccadilloes (or worse) in the bilge, and live to see another day, such offense above decks should result in immediate irrevocable lifetime banning.

I hope that Jim can see fit to re-post the photos of the repair to his tiller.

Jim Ledger
07-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I hope that Jim can see fit to re-post the photos of the repair to his tiller.

No need to re-post, Steve, the thread's here...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?117402-Painting-the-catboat-Sea-Rover...again&highlight=

...only the Good Captains silly post was removed.

Duncan Gibbs
07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Still there (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?117402-Painting-the-catboat-Sea-Rover...again) Steve! Panic nay!!

Duncan Gibbs
07-29-2010, 07:51 AM
We must be psychically connected Jim!!! :p:arg

The quick cross posting is just too spooky eh!?

SMARTINSEN
07-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks, gentlemen.

TerryLL
07-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Reading Capn Rod's posts leaves me with the twitchy feeling that this Capn persona is nothing more than the sick alter ego of one of our own. His remarks are simply too extreme for me to believe he is a living human being. I do believe we are being trifled with.

Jim Ledger
07-29-2010, 07:58 AM
We must be psychically connected Jim!!! :p:arg

The quick cross posting is just too spooky eh!?

Nah, mate. Happens all the time.

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
this Capn persona is nothing more than the sick alter ego of one of our ownperhaps a poll is in order. . .

TerryLL
07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
perhaps a poll is in order. . .

Well, I have a 16' pike pole I would like to put you know where. How on that?

Tracey
07-29-2010, 09:00 AM
He had a particularly obnoxious and offensive post on Jim's Painting Sea Rover thread, which is gone ......

Well, thanks for protecting my honor there, Duncan Y>
(if the Cap'n had a comment about that picture, I wonder what he would've thought about the one that got away.... ;) :d )

James McMullen
07-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I wish someone saved a copy of that post and would email it to me. Inquiring minds want to know.

PhaseLockedLoop
07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Good grief...missed the phun again!

Hey, Chuck! Welcome Back.

Russ Manheimer
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Nice to hear from you again Chuck. Hope you're feeling better.

Russ

James McMullen
07-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Wait a minute now. . . . Paladin Chuck was gone and Cap'nRod was here. . .but now Chuck shows up and the Cap is missing. That seems awfully suspicious! Come clean, Chuck. Just what exactly were those meds you were taking? The same ones Dr. Jekyll prescribed? Is the mystery solved at last?

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Is the mystery solved at last?no, the same absence/presence cycle occurs with capn rod and eric hvalsoe :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jim Ledger
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
no, the same absence/presence cycle occurs with capn rod and eric hvalsoe :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, there goes the "Chuck is Eric" theory.

Paul Pless
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Well, there goes the "Chuck is Eric" theory.chuck doesn't wear berets

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I for one will miss the good capn's high end woodworking skills. He could really keep Ledger on his toes.:D

Peerie Maa
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Free CapnRod with every Skil saw.

;) :eek:

Eric Hvalsoe
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Ah, you guys make me laugh. Maybe it was all in good fun.

paladin
07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Chuck ain't got enough hair for barets........

johnw
08-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Jesus H Christ, don't any of you have anything better to do? (Like a life?) Wait, I forgot ....you're all losers, er....I mean 'expert boatbuilders' (!cough! !cough!) so, no.....I guess that you don't. LOL!

Gee, "captain," this thread started a week ago. Were you in stir this whole time?

bobbys
08-08-2010, 04:34 PM
How come everybody is always a Captain?.

No body's ever a deckhand.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Nobody wants to play rhythm guitar behind Jesus... everybody wants to be the lead singer in the band. ;)

Garth Jones
08-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I am no mere captain. I am Lord Admiral of the Ocean Sea!

:-)

Garth

PS A real and quite well known sailor held that title at one time....

paladin
08-08-2010, 04:45 PM
well...since I have the commercial title "Captain", I guess it's alright to use it, ain't it....

Michael Beckman
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm a deckhand.

For now.

seanz
08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Nobody wants to play rhythm guitar behind Jesus... everybody wants to be the lead singer in the band. ;)

I never realized Mariachi bands had a lead singer

bobbys
08-08-2010, 07:12 PM
well...since I have the commercial title "Captain", I guess it's alright to use it, ain't it.....

Yes

bobbys
08-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I never realized Mariachi bands had a lead singer.

I did not Realize Jesus had a band.

I will ask SamF or Tom.

Or maybe not

bobbys
08-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I am no mere captain. I am Lord Admiral of the Ocean Sea!

:-)

Garth

PS A real and quite well known sailor held that title at one time.....

Funny .

I would like to see the Hat

The Bigfella
08-08-2010, 07:19 PM
well...since I have the commercial title "Captain", I guess it's alright to use it, ain't it....

I thought you had to be a Colonel to be allowed to use it once you left the service....

BrianW
08-08-2010, 07:24 PM

I've found those who are, don't. Those who do, aren't. ;)

purri
08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I thought you had to be a Colonel to be allowed to use it once you left the service....
Depends on which service.

BrianW
08-08-2010, 08:02 PM

I don't download video over here... eats up too much bandwidth. But for you who can, and think being addressed as colonel would be cool, check this one out...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4109/saturday-night-live-colonel-angus-comes-home

"Colonel Angus you make me feel so good." :D

BrianW
08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Found the transcript...

Colonel Angus
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/02/space2.gif
Written by: Tina Fey

Melinda.....Amy Poehler
Daddy.....Chris Parnell
Miss Anabelle.....Rachel Dratch
Farm Boy.....Jeff Richards
Bedelia.....Maya Rudolph
Colonel Angus.....Christopher Walken http://snltranscripts.jt.org/line.jpg [ open on exterior, Civil War-era plantation home, as members of a Southern family sit on the porch and reflect. A banner above the eaves reads: "Welcome Home, Colonel Angus!" ]

Melinda: [ sitting on the steps ] When's he gonna get here, Mama?

Miss Anabelle: [ setting on her rocker ] Anytime now, child.. be patient.

Melinda: Is he very handsome?

Miss Anabelle: [ chuckles ] He's been away at war so long, I don't rightly remember.

Melinda: Mama! Look! There's a carriage on the horizon!

Miss Anabelle: Oh? [ looking about ] Well, where, dear child?

Melinda: There! [ points ] Traveling down the road! Darting in and out of the cotton!

Miss Anabelle: Oh.. oh! Well, that must be the Colonel! Colonel Angus!

Melinda: [ excited ] Could it really be, Mama? Could it really be Colonel Angus?

Miss Anabelle: ..I don't know, uh.. We haven't seen Colonel Angus around these parts for years..

[ Daddy steps onto the porch, from inside the plantation ]

Daddy: Are you ladies out here talking about Colonel Angus?

Melinda: Yes, Daddy! I can't wait to meet him!

Daddy: Oh, watch out, Melinda! Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.

Melinda: Daddy, they say all the womenfolk just love Colonel Angus!

Daddy: Hmm.. I don't know why people make such a big fuss over Colonel Angus!

Miss Anabelle: I myself never much cared for Colonel Angus! He rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure why.. can't put my finger on it..

Daddy: Colonel Angus is an acquired taste! Bedelia!

[ Bedelia, the maid, comes running onto the porch ]

Bedelia: Yes, Sir?

Miss Anabelle: Break out some fresh linens, Bedilia! We're gonna have Colonel Angus here tonight!

Bedelia: Colonel Angus? I don't know nothin' about no Colonel Angus!

Daddy: Well, get ready, Bedelia. If I remember correctly, Colonel Angus can be very messy!

[ at last, Colonel Angus steps onto the porch ]

Daddy: As I live and breath! Colonel Angus!

Miss Anabelle: Oh, Colonel Angus! You old Carpetbagger!

Colonel Angus: Anabelle! I fear my visit.. is an inconvenience.

Miss Anabelle: [ laughing ] Nonsense, Colonel Angus! We're always happy to see your shiny face!

Daddy: Colonel Angus! What brings you to these parts?

Colonel Angus: I'm headed.. down South!

Daddy: Hmm. Of course!

Miss Anabelle: Uh.. how far south are you headed, Colonel Angus?

Colonel Angus: T'ain't really sure. I prefer the Deep South.. I like the heat.. the humidity..

Daddy: Hmmm.. sir, I do not!

Colonel Angus: [ ] And who is this.. little rosebud?

Daddy: This is our daughter, Melinda.

Melinda: Colonel Angus. The pleasure is all mine. I've heard so much about you.

Colonel Angus: Well, my dear.. don't believe everything you hear.. about ol' Colonel Angus. Colonel Angus might be rough.. Colonel Angus might not smell like a bed of roses.. but, deep down.. Colonel Angus is very sweet.

Miss Anabelle: Well, we hope you'll spend the night with us.

Colonel Angus: Well, thank you, Miss Anabelle. And if I overstay my welcome.. just tap me on the head.

Melinda: I always dreamnt of the day.. Colonel Angus would rest his head at Shady Thicket. I always begged my Daddy: "Tell me stories about you and Colonel Angus!" But he never will.

Daddy: [ chuckling ] Well, that's because all of my experiences with Colonel Angus end in embarrassment!

[ they all share a hearty laugh ]

Daddy: Colonel Angus.. I hear rumors.

Colonel Angus: [ sighs ] The incident.. at Big Beaver..

Daddy: Yes?

Colonel Angus: It's true, I'm afraid.. ten men were lost.. and I suffered a great injury.. to my jaw.

Daddy: Is it true you've been stripped of your rank?

Colonel Angus: Yes! It is. There'll be no more "Colonel Angus", ladies. Call me by my given name.

Miss Anabelle: Oh, Anal..

Melinda: I so love the sound of "Colonel Angus".. but I guess I could give Anal Angus a try.

Colonel Angus: [ to a passing farm boy ] You there, Boy! ride into town and tell the Postmaster.. that if anyone is looking for Anal Angus.. to come knockin' at the rear entrance.. of Shady Thicket.

Farm Boy: Euuuggghhh..

Colonel Angus: If you'll excuse me.. I'd like to freshen up.

[ Colonel Angus turns, and enters the plantation home ]

Miss Anabelle: Of course! We'll call you when it's time to eat, Anal! Bedelia lays out quite a spread.

Melinda: Well, I think Colonel Angus is delightful!

Daddy & Miss Anabelle: Hmmm....

Miss Anabelle: You won't.. after forty-five minutes.

Daddy: No-o-o.. you can only take so much of Colonel Angus.

[ fade ]

Larks
08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
If you haven't been ticketed as a Ships Captain then you have no right to call yourself a captain. I have commercial tickets as both a Master and an MED (Marine Engine Driver) however my Master certification does not make me a "Captain", it makes me a "Master". It takes a heck of a lot more to become a Captain.

James McMullen
08-09-2010, 01:00 AM
The good Cap'n has now sent me five PM's in a row I have not and will not respond to . . . .how long do you think it will take before he gets the hint?

Peerie Maa
08-09-2010, 03:48 AM
The good Cap'n has now sent me five PM's in a row I have not and will not respond to . . . .how long do you think it will take before he gets the hint?

Errrm, as long as it takes to read this?

Duncan Gibbs
08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Brian, that was worse than 'Are You Being Served!' I'm now wearing a rather wry smile. :D

Meebee I could send Rod a PM! Anyone got any good ideas of what to put in it? James?...

Art Read
08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I've found those who are, don't. Those who do, aren't. ;)

:D You've noticed that too, eh?

JimD
08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Earlier today I was staring at the plans for Atkin's Handy Andy. Eight feet long, with a four foot beam. A leg-o-mutton. I'd probably build her glued lap, paint her light light blue with bright rails, sail her for a season just for fun, then sell her as a dink. Where I live, I have room to do a project like this.

What says CapnRod?

Light blue? Ugh. But that's just me.

Uncle Duke
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Interesting - if he can send PM's then he can log in. I though being 'banned' meant "can't log in"....

Peerie Maa
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Interesting - if he can send PM's then he can log in. I though being 'banned' meant "can't log in"....

Go back to post #39 ;)

johnw
08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't mind being called 'skipper' if I'm running the boat, but I've had to correct a number of people who referred to me as 'captain.'

And Duke, the Rod has posted on this thread.

Uncle Duke
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Ah - so not 'banned', just 'quiet'. Got it.
Gracias

Art Read
08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
"....I don't mind being called 'skipper' if I'm running the boat, but I've had to correct a number of people who referred to me as 'captain.'...."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

I disagree. Any vessel that goes to sea, whether for a day's outing, or a voyage over the horizon, needs a "Captain". Licensed, or not, the individual who has assumed that position requires an assumption that they have responsibility.

I have sailed as a guest aboard many vessels that were run by folks that had perhaps less experience than myself. I have always watched and listened to the "Captain", and attempted to perform the evolutions he or she called for to the best of my ability. When ill-advised commands were given, with time to discuss it, I might politely suggest an alternative. But I would never impose my "superior experience" without an invitation. There can only be ONE Captain.

Call them what you will, define it with whatever paperwork you respect, every vessel that casts off lines and leaves the shore has a "Captain". Even if they don't realize it and are wholly unsuitable to the task, the responsibility remains. That's what a Captain is.

johnw
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
"....I don't mind being called 'skipper' if I'm running the boat, but I've had to correct a number of people who referred to me as 'captain.'...."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

I disagree. Any vessel that goes to sea, whether for a day's outing, or a voyage over the horizon, needs a "Captain". Licensed, or not, the individual who has assumed that position requires an assumption that they have responsibility.

I have sailed as a guest aboard many vessels that were run by folks that had perhaps less experience than myself. I have always watched and listened to the "Captain", and attempted to perform the evolutions he or she called for to the best of my ability. When ill-advised commands were given, with time to discuss it, I might politely suggest an alternative. But I would never impose my "superior experience" without an invitation. There can only be ONE Captain.

Call them what you will, define it with whatever paperwork you respect, every vessel that casts off lines and leaves the shore has a "Captain". Even if they don't realize it and are wholly unsuitable to the task, the responsibility remains. That's what a Captain is.
I don't have any trouble with the responsibility or with getting people to recognize my authority, regardless of what they call me. Nor do I think someone calling themselves 'captain' gets them any more respect. Look, for example, at how people regard 'captain' Rod. The first boats I skippered, my father and his friends were the crew. I was allowed to run things because when I skippered, we were more likely to win the races. My authority in that case depended on showing consistent good judgment and telling the crew what to do in a way that they would follow. The arrangement wouldn't have worked if I or my father had simply called me 'captain' and told people to do whatever damn fool thing I told them to. It was entirely dependent on how I conducted myself. I've sometimes made mistakes, and deal with the fallout from them, but I certainly have not relied on an unearned title to bolster my authority.

Thorne
08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
.I would like to see the Hat

Hat? Somebody say Admiral's Hat?

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/images/560/D/76/D7649_1.jpg

bobbys
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Hat? Somebody say Admiral's Hat?

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/images/560/D/76/D7649_1.jpg.

Sweet!

Yeadon
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Looks like you already ate a bit of it.

James McMullen
09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Looks like it may be for real this time. I guess I'm no longer at the point where I even find him that funny any more, so good riddance.

davebrown
09-23-2010, 12:34 AM
I still think he was someone's alter ego and was just trying to get a rise out of people. I wouldn't have been amused by getting a weird PM from him.