PDA

View Full Version : for you anti-illegal-immigration folks

TomF
07-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Watched CNN this morning for a few minutes, and one of the talking heads commented that last year Obama's administration deported more illegal immigrants than occurred in any other year in US history. Said that the focus is on good enforcement of the laws, focusing as a first priority on those who pose some risk to US society - whether as felons, or risks to national security, or as people who'd been deported and re-entered illegally.

Critics from the one side claim that this amounts to selective amnesty ... bothering the baddies but paying less attention to the goodies. Critics from the other side claim Obama's still splitting up families more than he allows is occurring, sending some parents home while letting their kids stay Stateside.

If Obama's ticking off both ends of the spectrum, and has in fact stepped things up to annually remove more illegal immigrants than any predecessor, is he maybe a centrist, with commitments to secure(er) borders after all?

BrianW
07-27-2010, 08:24 AM
All sounds like good news to me.

Perhaps the numbers are up, because there's more illegal aliens to deport?

Pugwash
07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
All sounds like good news to me.

Perhaps the numbers are up, because there's more illegal aliens to deport?

I think there is actually less. I know a lot of people in construction left the country when the industry tanked.

There has been a push to identify undocumented workers. The payroll company for the guys I work for (intermittently) just required that everyone on the books prove their eligibility to work here.

George Jung
07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
We had a thread about this a few weeks (or less) ago; interesting - no new laws, just enforcing the ones on the books, something his predecessors didn't do.

I dislike pigeonholing by select criteria, and I don't know how, with politics so polarized, the presidency could be centrist, but with that in mind - probably so.

paul oman
07-27-2010, 09:56 AM
doesn't count if it only comes from one news source. CNN is very obama left. Get it from several other sources and it might have some merit. You guys would do the same if I pointed out something I saw on Fox.....

sdowney717
07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
for some reason, we must pass laws that are already covered under previous laws, so we get layers of law to push people to obey the law already there.
I suppose that is just human nature at work. Fresh laws get more specific attention focused on the issues.

TomF
07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
doesn't count if it only comes from one news source. CNN is very obama left. Get it from several other sources and it might have some merit. You guys would do the same if I pointed out something I saw on Fox.....Apparently the story was broken yesterday in The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/25/AR2010072501790.html). Here's it is repeated on CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/26/politics/washingtonpost/main6715205.shtml), in a NPR Blog (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/07/26/128772646/deportations-higher-under-obama-than-bush), The Washington Independent (http://washingtonindependent.com/92481/immigration-is-down-enforcement-is-up-but-harsh-rhetoric-remains). Even FOX (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the-record/transcript/gingrich-hollywood-should-ostracize-039hitler-apologist039-oliver-stone)included the item in an interview segment with Gingerich ... who did not deny the numbers, but made points off the report in a different direction.
VAN SUSTEREN: .... Here's another interesting piece of information. A Washington Post article is reporting that the President Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants, more than the Bush administration did in its last year or the year before. But they're way up over the Bush administration.
GINGRICH: I thought it was a fascinating article, and it makes you wonder, if the president is willing to be that aggressive about sending people out of the United States, why isn't he willing to be equally aggressive at the border, stopping them from coming into the United States? I mean, it's a very mixed kind of message he sends.

The story indicated -- implied that the federal government's becoming more aggressive identifying whether or not you're illegal, while they're telling Arizona not to find out if you're illegal and they're ignoring sanctuary cities like San Francisco. ...Google is your friend.

Pugwash
07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
doesn't count if it only comes from one news source. CNN is very obama left. Get it from several other sources and it might have some merit. You guys would do the same if I pointed out something I saw on Fox.....

Do you not have The Google?

http://www.google.com/search?q=obama+deports+more+illegals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

John of Phoenix
07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Ever heard of Google?

Chattanooga Times Free Press
Deportations double in Whitfield County

Obama Has Deported More Immigrants Than Bush
The Atlantic (blog) - ‎18 hours ago‎
Even as the Obama administration fights Arizona's extreme immigration law, it deports more illegal immigrants than previous administrations with tougher ...
Police use of federal databases to ID illegal immigrants after arrests raises ...
Dallas Morning News - Dianne Solís - ‎Jul 25, 2010‎
Arizona's law aimed at removing illegal immigrants has grabbed headlines, but quietly this year the number of ...
A Record Number Deported Under Obama
The Bay Citizen (blog) - ‎13 hours ago‎
A record number of illegal immigrants were deported during the 2009 fiscal year, The Washington Post reported today. The deportations were up 10 percent ...

Get this!! More deportations in a year and a half than in eight years!
US President Barack Obama has deported more illegal immigrants than his Republican predecessor George W. Bush.

(I wonder how soon he does that again? :D)

Pugwash
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
(I wonder how soon he does that again? :D)

It's the Ishmael school of information acquisition.

TimH
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Boy, I don't know....I sure see a lot of Canadian plates around here.

B_B
07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
It's the Ishmael school of information acquisition.
excellent! hafta remember that one...is he still banned?

(practicing my Ishmael technique ;) )

Canoeyawl
07-27-2010, 09:14 PM
You know, I tire of this crap - Those immigrants from Mexico (illegal or not) are some of the most beautiful, sincere, hard working people I have ever known.
They can only make this country stronger.

Black-Jack
07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Apparently something is working. The lawbreakers are leaving in droves. :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2514063220100725

Glen Longino
07-27-2010, 10:41 PM
You know, I tire of this crap - Those immigrants from Mexico (illegal or not) are some of the most beautiful, sincere, hard working people I have ever known.

I'm so glad to see you say that!
Absolutely true.
An open border with Mexico is 150 years past due.

Robmill0605
07-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Absolutely true.

That's right.
Let's just let anyone in/ Forget the legal immigrants who try to become US citizens. Let's just let these Mexican invaders bog down our schools, our hospitals, our welfare system, and have them demand that WE speak Spanish. They drop an anchor baby and steal US citizenship for their children. Then they cry they cannot be seperated from the child. I guess we can just release all the women in jail who the state has no problem seperating their Mothers from their children if that is your logic.
We are being overrun by these illegal s.
Don't tell me they are " undocumented immigrants.

I guess next liberals like you will call drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists.

Glen Longino
07-28-2010, 12:37 AM
You're an irrational hot-head, Rob.
You cultivate angst and self-righteous indignation as other men might cultivate garden crops.
We have 300 million Americans, but you believe that we're being "overrun" by 12 million Mexicans? Ha!
Why don't you learn to speak Spanish? It's called education.
Rather than building a Berlin Wall across the bottom of America, why don't you just learn how to be a good neighbor?

Robmill0605
07-28-2010, 12:44 AM
You're an irrational hot-head, Rob.
You cultivate angst and self-righteous indignation as other men might cultivate garden crops.
We have 300 million Americans, but you believe that we're being "overrun" by 12 million Mexicans? Ha!
Why don't you learn to speak Spanish? It's called education.
Rather than building a Berlin Wall across the bottom of America, why don't you just learn how to be a good neighbor?

B.S.

If the numbers are correct that we have between 12 and 20 MILLION illlegals, that is an invasion. They have NO right to be here. Stop giving their children US citizenship, free education,welfare. etc. and start enforcing the LAW. Thank God for Arizona. The illegals are self deporting. If this law stands, you will see every state except of course for Mass. enact similar laws.

Glen Longino
07-28-2010, 01:00 AM
B.S.

"The illegals are self deporting"
Then what are you bitching about?
The Arizona law will not stand and no other states will enact similar laws. Trust me!
Get over it!
Try to cultivate a compassionate nature, will you please?
It's never too late to admit your ignorance and to embrace your fellow man, the Mexican!:D

Robmill0605
07-28-2010, 01:02 AM
B.S.

"The illegals are self deporting"
Then what are you bitching about?
The Arizona law will not stand and no other states will enact similar laws. Trust me!
Get over it!

Really?

Perhaps YOU need to get over it. The MAJORITY od Arizona citizens support this law, and so does a majority of the American people.
That makes YOU the minority.
It will stand.

Glen Longino
07-28-2010, 01:11 AM
The majority of Arizona citizens are half-witted racist bigots, just like the majority of Texas citizens and Louisiana citizens and Oklahoma citizens and Kentucky citizens and Florida citizens.
Fortunately, we have Federal laws which over-ride racist bigots. It's 2010, not 1810, Rob.

BrianW
07-28-2010, 07:11 AM
I was under the impression the new State law mirrors Federal law.

The correct thing to would be to use some GoogleFu, but screw it, it's Arizona and I'm not going to tell them how to live their lives.

George Jung
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Interesting 'contributions'....

I don't believe it's Fed law to have open borders - quite the contrary. Obama is actually enforcing already existing laws, in contradistinction to the last 4 or five presidents. why anyone thinks having an open border - especially when it's not a two way street - baffles me.

McMike
07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

Amen brother!!!!

McMike
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
B.S.

If the numbers are correct that we have between 12 and 20 MILLION illlegals, that is an invasion. They have NO right to be here. Stop giving their children US citizenship, free education,welfare. etc. and start enforcing the LAW. Thank God for Arizona. The illegals are self deporting. If this law stands, you will see every state except of course for Mass. enact similar laws.

Your fear makes me laugh. Did you know, I'm afraid of spiders?
http://q7koqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1po16a3_SZa1OvMeafEtw8lbw87OOerQ_2UlwlGSZ8_QcgSS7 zpS6iiEXkeauHhyN1F0M8R43rHzID0z1iFLNCLE7qUukN7xLf/Spider.jpg?psid=1 (http://q7koqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pzy4TDvGGkK0MZ3-fP-1Tj2mUXLaO1_sbgsOewu87iHNddrn9k7kIZdugXXBkm7RSsMIu KxmJeieJTk56BOZ-gA_U9yz2b2c7/Spider.jpg?psid=1)

They're everywhere . . . :eek:

Canoeyawl
07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Really?

Perhaps YOU need to get over it. The MAJORITY od Arizona citizens support this law, and so does a majority of the American people.
It will stand.

It's not standing yet, can't quite get on it's feet and it looks like it's fallen down rather smartly today

A federal judge has blocked one of the most controversial sections of a tough Arizona immigration law, granting a preliminary injunction Wednesday that prevents police from questioning people about their immigration status.

She also blocked provisions of the law making it a crime to fail to apply for or carry alien registration papers or "for an unauthorized alien to solicit, apply for, or perform work," and a provision "authorizing the warrantless arrest of a person" if there is reason to believe that person might be subject to deportation.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/ari...on.law/?hpt=T1 (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/28/arizona.immigration.law/?hpt=T1)

John of Phoenix
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Really?

It will stand.Blindly support it even though they haven't read it and don't have the faintest idea what's wrong with it.

So a judge has stepped in and blocked the parts that would have cost this state several millions of dollars (that we don't have) in legal costs and law suit settlements.

Black-Jack
07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Absolutely true.

Illegal drugs for everyone and let the terrorists bring it as well!:)

Kaa
07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Illegal drugs for everyone...

It's not like there's a shortage :D

Anyway, the anti-Mexican people lost already. Here's New York Times, emphasis mine:

Last month in Indianapolis, John Ban, 31, raised in Indiana by Korean parents, and Arnold Park, 28, a native of Seoul, began selling $2 tacos — corn tortillas piled with nubs of beef, chopped onions, cilantro leaves and red jalapeño salsa — late at night to club kids who visited their West Coast Tacos truck

“First we were going to move to Korea and open a regular taco truck,” said Mr. Ban, who has worked as a D.J. and hip-hop artist. “Then we thought we’d do a Korean taco truck in Korea. We settled on doing a Korean taco truck in Indianapolis.

“The meat makes it Korean,” said Mr. Ban, who marinates chuck roll in a soy and garlic sauce that is traditionally used with Korean barbecue dishes. “The tortilla and the toppings are a way to tell our customers that this food is O.K., that this food is American.”http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/dining/28united.html?scp=1&sq=tortilla%20korea&st=cse

:D

Kaa

paladin
07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey, that sounds good, bul goki on a tortilla.....

George Jung
07-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Any stories from your recent 'unfortunate incarceration'?