PDA

View Full Version : Wheat free diet?

bluedog225
07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
So the doc thinks I may be allergic to wheat. No big deal I think.

So on my way out West this morning, I stop at Frederickburg, Texas (an old German town-home of the Admiral Nimitz museum) and sit down with a big mug of hot German coffee and a large apple strudel.....diced pecans on top held in place with a light drizzle of sugar....apple, raisins, cinnamon, a little coconut....my first bite was just as good as I thought it would be.....must have been 15 layers of dough.....doh!....****....they are a bakery in a small west texas town....no wheat-free offerings (asking got me the "damn yuppie" look-"no sir, we use flour, it comes from wheat").....I awkwardly scrape all the goodie out of the middle and leave hungry.

On the bright side, the only place I could find to eat lunch was BBQ...the ribs were fair but the sausage was the best I have ever had...lean, well seasoned, with lots of whole peppercorns in the meat.

I get home this evening and go to buy some non-wheat stuff. Get a big loaf of spelt bread, it says "contains wheat." Huh? Not listed as an ingredient and the name kinda makes me think it might be made with spelt....

Anyone else dealing with a wheat/gluten free diet? It's been 8 hours and I'm still thinking about that strudel. Is this gonna be a royal pita? (not the bread)

Tom

Captain Intrepid
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
In big cities you should have no problem with a gluten free diet, though it'll cost more than a regular one.

You can make pretty tasty wheat free brownies with beans, bananas and cocoa.

Remember too that you should be able to eat oats, they're gluten free except from contamination by dual use processing machinery.

htom
07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Spelt is an ancestor of wheat. Some people on wheat-free diets can tolerate it, but most can't.

Wheat free is hard. It can be easier to search for gluten free, which will also be wheat free.

Hwyl
07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
I did a transat with a crewmember who was gluten intolerant, she managed to find food in the Cape Verdes and Sint Maarten, so it's got to be available in Texas. I should imagine the sausage had wheat in it too.

It's a balance thing, you want to be healthier, your food will be less convenient.

Robert W. Long
07-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Bluedog225: Not me, but my wife has been dealing with a wheat allergy for years and I can tell you that there is some good wheat free stuff out there. If you like pasta there is a brand of brown rice pasta called "Tinkyada" that I think is even better than traditional wheat pasta. Especially the penne. You can probably find it on Amazon and elswhere. When I think of finding food in Texas, I think of a choice between fried chicken and chicken fried steak! The internet is amazing for finding stuff. If your'e into cooking, there is a pretty good bread baking book called "The best ever wheat and gluten free baking book" by Mary Ann Wenniger with Mace Winniger. Good luck, I imagine some others here will chime in with good help too.

bluedog225
07-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I should imagine the sausage had wheat in it too.

Thanks all. I'll look into the wheat/gluten thing. Not sure which it is. I expect gluten.

I'm not sure about many things....but there was no wheat in that sausage...no way...except what they fed the stock....y'all put wheat in your sausage? :d

Paul Pless
07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
no wheat listed . . .

http://worldcupcsr.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/budweiser-label3.jpg

htom
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
No wheat in that beer, but barley, even malted, gives some people problems. Budweiser does make a beer that ferments sorghum, rather than barley, which is supposedly better tolerated by some with gluten sensitivities.

It is important to note that there are at least a half-dozen different proteins that can give rise to gluten sensitivities, and your body may accept some of those without problems, or others in small amounts without problems, meaning that you can worry mostly about avoiding the particular proteins, rather than all of them. Finding out which particular proteins are in a product is even harder, though. Once you get "stabilized", you can conduct experiments on yourself. Have a Bud, watch for reactions over the next couple of days without further experiments. My brother categorized foods as "bad" (reaction in hours), "avoid" (within a day, or the next morning), "maybe" (not sure that the food was the cause), and "OK". You're going to be surprised at the ingredients that can set you off.

bluedog225
07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Funny thing is, after reading various posts here about making fresh bread, I made some bread from scratch about 3 weeks ago (I haven't done that in decades). 3 loaves. I froze 2 and have had cinnamon bread with my coffee every morning. Didn't occur to me until a couple of days ago that I hadn't had bread for breakfast on a regular basis for....well....ever. The worse I felt in the mornings; the more I would think the bread would calm my stomach down.

I only put 2 and 2 together when they wanted me to sedate me and stick a camera down my throat. Time will tell.

StevenBauer
07-26-2010, 09:31 PM
My wife was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. Going gluten free is harder than you'd think. We're adjusting but it is an adjustment. Eating out is the hardest. I think it is easier than it was in the past, but it's still tough. There is wheat in lots of things you wouldn't think had wheat in them. Like Good And Plenty and Mentos. Have you read the Wikipedia article? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_free

Steven

Captain Intrepid
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
no wheat listed . . .

http://worldcupcsr.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/budweiser-label3.jpg

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/greens_beers.htm#disc_amber

Some actual beers that are gluten free.

Also, beers that adhere to Reinheitsgebot only contain barley, water, hops, and yeast. That'll work if it's a wheat allergy instead of a gluten issue.

Gerarddm
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
My girlfriend must eat gluten free. By now it's pretty easy. I can tell you that the difference in her physical well being was remarkable once she switched over.

A side benefit was that it got me off high-glycemic carbohydrates, which helped kill my migraines. I use rice pasta all the time, and eat Eziekiel bread.

Gluten-free eating has gotten much easier. Lots of food is annotated gluten free if it is, and restaurants have gotten pretty hip too.

George Ray
07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
WASA Flatbreads:
http://us.wasa.com/

Mostly 'rye' although some of their products contain some wheat. They are not 'Wheat-centric' like most US grain products.
I am trying to move wheat/corn from the front of my diet to the middle or the back.