PDA

View Full Version : "God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made School Boards" - S. Clemens

Flying Orca
07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Livingston, LA - "School Board might OK teaching creationism (http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/99153999.html)"

Garret
07-26-2010, 12:32 PM
I particularly like this:

Martin, noting that discipline of young people is constantly becoming more of a challenge for parents and teachers, agreed: “Maybe it’s time that we look at this.”

So - teaching Creationism will fix that? Didn't know there was a correlation.....

Captain Blight
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I literally have no idea what to say about this; I wonder, however, if they're going to do a survey of Creation Myths? Include the Kaalevala and the Geilgamesh Epic alongside the Horus myth and that whole business about a mythical rib-woman and a weird fruit?

Flying Orca
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
It's like these people never heard of Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School District. Is Louisiana that big?

Captain Blight
07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey, now, be fair. I never heard of it either!

Mrleft8
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
I like creationism...... It explains a lot of the freakin' morons in govt. No way they could have survived natural selection is there?

Flying Orca
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Blighty: Well, yeah, but you're not on a School Board in Louisiana, either.

Glen Longino
07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
All the members of that school board should be forced to listen to a reading of Richard Dawkins', "The Greatest Show On Earth"!
I say listen to a reading, because I doubt the backward bastids could read it themselves.

OconeePirate
07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I feel the correct response if it bothers you that much, no matter what side of the fence you are on, is to home school.

Glen Longino
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not stirring the pot, Jay.
That Louisiana school board is stirring the pot.
Your comment shows that you have Not read that book.
It's more a science book than a religious book, although Dawkins does like to poke the dimwitted evolution deniers.
You know Dawkins is a Scientist, not a faith-crazed evangelist.

purri
07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
I recommend "The Panda's Thumb".

Glen Longino
07-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Yep, Jay, I'm constantly torn between the words of Dawkins and Pat Robertson.
Hey, that's a joke in case you didn't notice!
I disagree that some questions do not have answers. Not to say that you or I will ever know the answers to most questions, but I suspect that in time, if humans survive long enough, many questions will be answered, and blind dumb faith in mythological supernatural characters will cease to influence human thought.

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Glen , I've had far more brain washing by the evolutionist than the creationist. The book sheleves in my home are filled with many more books that support the theory of evolution than creationism. There is a bunch of BS on both sides of the argument and I have no answers that would convince you of anything. I is your responsibility as a free thinking person to find the truth. It aint easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. You can be like a sheep and believe the words of one man like a Dawkins or Pat Robertson but not I. Some questions do not have answers.

Glad to hear you've got some books. But your evaluation of them "a bunch of BS on both sides' suggests none of them has done you any good.
Do you have a Weegee board?

Captain Blight
07-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Monotremes oviparous, ovum meroblastic.

TomF
07-27-2010, 08:26 AM
All the members of that school board should be forced to listen to a reading of Richard Dawkins', "The Greatest Show On Earth"!
I say listen to a reading, because I doubt the backward bastids could read it themselves.If they listen to it backwards, will they hear Satan talking?

sdowney717
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw&feature=PlayList&p=8F6DD1AB0B240D6E&playnext=1&index=2

the Ultra Deep Field view, by the Hubble telescope, of what was thought empty space, is filled with thousands of galaxies

If the universe has a size, then what is on the other side?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T_pi62ozT8&feature=channel

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh! Chucky boy, you have a sense humor. It is sad that it is limit of your abilities.

Everyone knows what is going on in TEXAS because TEXAS seems to hit the news evry week or so. And some of it is down right disturbing.
There is a very sad aspect to this discussion of school boards and there is one that happens to have a stranglehold on what gets published by the textbook industries. And that board is the TEXAS board that buys school books for the entire state. It has been overtaken by right-wing zealots that go thru' evry proposed text and demand changes in the texts that support their particular political or religious beliefs. Because TEXAS buys in such great quantities the publishers do what TEXAS demands so their entire offering is infected with the biases of some right-wing TEXAS sodkickers who have no expertice in the subjects they are playing with. What's really sad is that some of the outgoing board were infected with the idea that what they were doing was in some way for the betterment of America.

Captain Blight
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
in re: Texans:

I know I like to make fun of Texans; But it really is meant in jest. Now, don't get me wrong: I lived in Texas for a couple years when I was a kid, Dad was stationed at Lackland in San Antone. It was okay, I guess, for a kid of 9. Most everything's more or less okay to a kid of 9. I do wish King of the Hill had been airing when I lived there, though.

Hank Hill is a man who believes in God, Family, Country and Texas, in that order. Hank is a man who does the right thing, all the time, no matter the cost to him personally or to his family. He is bound and determined that if Bobby isn't going to be an athletic star or an academic genius, then By-God, Bobby is going to grow up knowing the difference between right and wrong and know it very well. Hank is a good man and a patient one, which he needs given his wife and kid. He's got a pretty mainstream approach to the world: not a lot of time with what he sees as frivolities and excessive emotions. Yeah, it's parody, yeah its stereotype; but things get to be stereotypes by being at least in part true.

So what would Hank do if he were on the Texas Schoolbook Commission? His intentions would be the very best; but his personal bias would inevitably creep in. This was addressed to some degree in Season 8, Episode 14: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Alamo, in which Hank finds out Bobby's new Texas history book barely addresses Texas history at all. It's worth a look.

"Dad, you don't have to be afraid of what you don't understand."
"I'm not afraid of ya, Bobby!"

Ian McColgin
07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
As if we needed more proof that "intelligent design" is false. That school board proves that it was incredibly stupid design.