PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Biases At Top-tier Colleges

David G
07-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Somehow, I just don't have much trouble believing this one. Ivy-league and other top colleges give poor folks of color and richer white folks. Who does that leave out? Poorer white folks get left out... furthering the cultural divide.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2010/07/the_roots_of_white_anxiety_ame.html

Mad Scientist
07-25-2010, 11:52 PM
An apparently (to a foreigner) balanced commentary. The comments posted very quickly descend to the level of the worst (ad-hominem) stuff in the Bilge.

So, can anybody explain why young folks with athletic ability should get an economic and intellectual 'free ride' thru college? Or is it just my prejudice showing?

Tom

OconeePirate
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I think the above is probably true for most upper tier schools. I went to Georgia Tech and there were very few poor crackers like myself there, those of us that managed to go there did so because it is a state school so instate tuition isn't that hard to get covered by financial aid.
Tech has quite the football and basketball programs so obviously the school of business had a slightly more diverse enrollment, although on average not so skinny and geeky, lol.