PDA

View Full Version : Plastic body parts repair

cs
07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
I need to repair a break in one of the plastic side panels for my Suzuki. I hate to buy a new plastic part just for this small break. So does anyone here know the best way to repair these parts?

I was thinking that maybe I could use epoxy to glue the piece together, but will that work on plastic and do you use Bondo to smooth it out? Or do they make a special repair glue for plastic parts?

Chad

seanz
07-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Depends what it's made of.......but I do remember a process called 'plastic-weld'. Might be worth asking local bike-shops.

seanz
07-25-2010, 06:35 PM
They make different kinds of epoxy. The two part mix you can find at any hardware store that comes in the two little tubes would probably work.

I noticed that bike has a broken front brake lever. Have you fixed that yet?

Wadda ya need front brakes for? Back brakes is best for cool skiddies.....

Chad's in the 'quote' stage of repairs, have patience.

cs
07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
No I haven't, but the bike is not ready yet to ride. The front brake lever still works. I've ridden the bike around the neighborhood just to get a feel for it and see what needs to be done.

The main things I have found so far that has to be done before it can be ridden is that it is only running on one cylinder. I have determined that it needs another ignition coil. This bike has two, one for each cylinder, and one of them is bad. I swapped coils today and the bike ran on the other cylinder, which confirms I need a new coil. I bought one off of E-bay today for $20. It is used but it does have a guarantee. These coils are normally priced at around $110 to $120 each. So I will try this used one first and see if it works.

I've also been looking for clutch and brake levers, but I want them in black and they are a little bit harder to find for that bike.

Chad

Nicholas Scheuer
07-25-2010, 06:55 PM
If the panel is thermoplastic (injection molded), the best repair is a hot-air or Nitrogen gas weld using a rod of like polymer as one would use welding rod for steel. These kinds of repair also require finishing with filers and primer paint.

My son got started in these techniques so that he could repair "crotch rocket" motorcycle bodies instead of always buying new parts. Eventually he worked his way into a nice industrial plastic welding job making polimer electroplating tanks.

The equivalent of MIG or TIG metal welding for metal is a Nitrogen Gas "Goober Gun" that ejects molten polimer continuously as it heats the parent plastic needing repair.

Skilled technicians are out there. Let your fingers do the walking.

Moby Nick

skipper68
07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Marine tek is my best friend.Just seems to work on everything.

cs
07-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be looking into that two part plastic weld stuff. How do you determine what type of plastic it is? I couldn't find anything on the panels that indicate what it is.

Mike I've been looking the entire bike over and brakes are part of the restoration process. The levers are some of the first things I started looking for, but right now not the most critical, but they are high on the list. I have to get the bike running smoothly first before I can even think about taking it on the open road.

Chad