PDA

View Full Version : Pickles

Black-Jack
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
After looking through my fridge I decided its time to dedicate a shelf to nothing but pickles and pickled goods. I make all my own.

Whats your favorite? My current one is probably zuchinni relish.

Uncle Duke
07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I've been doing a lot of pickled grapes this year (w/ garlic, red chili flakes and rosemary). Nice appetizer and always a "taste surprise" for folks who haven't had them before.
I did a pickled watermelon (not rind, the juicy part itself) w/ginger recently - nice on a hot afternoon.
Fun to do!

Vince Brennan
07-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Can I get a spot in the fridge right next to Ish? We're usually pretty well pickled...

Black-Jack
07-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Pickled grapes? Ive never heard of them- sound interesting- what variety of grape do you use? Care to share a recipe?

Canoez
07-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I've been doing a lot of pickled grapes this year (w/ garlic, red chili flakes and rosemary). Nice appetizer and always a "taste surprise" for folks who haven't had them before.
I did a pickled watermelon (not rind, the juicy part itself) w/ginger recently - nice on a hot afternoon.
Fun to do!

Those pickled grapes were good - recipe, please?

Captain Blight
07-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I have recently become a fan of pickled cauliflower and broccoli stalk. I think as I get older, the Russian in me is coming more to the fore. I'm even starting to like beets.

Tracey
07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I've done cold pack and hot pack bread 'n butters this week.
Here we have: cold on the left, hot on the right
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/searover1916/picklejars.jpg

Came home a couple of hours after taking the jar on the right out of the canner, and the jars looked half empty ! The darn cukes just shriveled up in the jars. My first reaction was to toss them into the compost, but I put them in the pantry anyway.
Anybody have this happen?

Chip-skiff
07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
From the look, the bottle on the right might have gotten too hot and broken down the cell structure of the cukes, letting all the juice escape. Just a guess.

My favorite pickled delight is kimchi, a Korean savory with cabbage, daikon radish, carrots, garlic, hot peppers, onions, and various other bits (green beans are good). The cut vegs are packed in a jar and immersed in a boiled mixture of soy sauce and rice vinegar, then loosely capped and allowed to ferment. When the stuff is emitting copious tiny bubbles, then it's refrigerated (not canned and sealed, which can lead to the formation of botulinus).

I used to grow all the ingredients and make lots: a staple. But I married a woman with midwestern tastes: too hot and pungent for her, and I refuse to make kimchi lite. But I still dream about eating it. (I'm growing hot peppers in the greenhouse. Maybe I'll make a clandestine batch and eat it when she's off at conferences.)

Bobby of Tulsa
07-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Did you do the hot pack in a pressure cooker or just a canner? If you just use the hot bath canner you need to have the water boiling when you put the cukes in, also pack them in tight.

donald branscom
07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
After looking through my fridge I decided its time to dedicate a shelf to nothing but pickles and pickled goods. I make all my own.

Whats your favorite? My current one is probably zuchinni relish.

Hope you do not have hemorrhoid problems. It will cause your problem to worsen.

Tracey
07-25-2010, 08:34 PM
You think that might have done it? Can we still eat them? They were packed so tight I had to cold pack the remaining jar just so I could do one batch and not two. btw that jar didn't shrivel.

Joe Dupere
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM
My wife has been experimenting with lacto-fermenting various things from the garden. We've done snap-peas, snow peas and green beans. We'll be doing cukes and maybe some peppers later.

Joe, FFPoP

Uncle Duke
07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Black-Jack:

Pickled grapes? Ive never heard of them- sound interesting- what variety of grape do you use? Care to share a recipe? Canoez:

Those pickled grapes were good - recipe, please? Gracias (I brought a bunch of those up to the WBS/EBS, unfortunately not on time to be appetizers, but...) Recipe is from a "Southern Cooking" cookbook:

Pickled Grapes with Rosemary and Chili - makes 1 1/2 quarts

6 cups stemmed mixed red and green seedless grapes (about 2 pounds)
2 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced (I go overboard on this, personal preference...)
Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary (about 4")
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes (I go slightly overboard here also....)

Pack the grapes into pint containers (or equivalent).
Pour the vinegar and 1 cup water into a saucepan over medium heat.
Add the salt, sugar, garlic, rosemary and chili flakes. Stir until the salt is dissolved.
When the mixture starts to simmer take it off the heat and pour over the grapes.
Cover loosely and let cool to room temperature.
Cover tightly and chill in a refrigerator for 1 hour.

These will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Drain the fluid off, throw them in a bowl and have at it!

Edited to add: when you pour over the mixed grapes in the jars, don't fill up one, then go to the next - pour a little in each, going back and forth. Otherwise you get all the "floaty goodness stuff" (garlic, etc) in the first and none in the last....

Mrleft8
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Those pickled grapes were..........interesting I'd imagine they grow on you. The texture was a bit odd for me. The flavor was excellent though!
I like pickled ginger, and pickled carrots.

Uncle Duke
07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Just a note: Dale Hamilton on a different thread reminds us about "Giardinera":

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?117771-anybody-else-make-Giardiniera

Bobby of Tulsa
07-26-2010, 01:19 PM
You think that might have done it? Can we still eat them? They were packed so tight I had to cold pack the remaining jar just so I could do one batch and not two. btw that jar didn't shrivel. I would think they would be good to eat, but dont expect them to be crunchy. They will taste ok but they will be very soft.

Mrleft8
07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I would think they would be good to eat, but dont expect them to be crunchy. They will taste ok but they will be very soft.

Mushy even...... Good in a relish or chutney.....

Canoez
07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Black-Jack:

Canoez:

Gracias (I brought a bunch of those up to the WBS/EBS, unfortunately not on time to be appetizers, but...) Recipe is from a "Southern Cooking" cookbook:

Pickled Grapes with Rosemary and Chili -...

..and have at it!

Muchos Gracias!

McMike
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Fun to do!

I will attest to the goodliness of his pickled grapes!!!!!

Oh boy, that sounded bad . . . .:o:d

Uncle Duke
07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I will attest to the goodliness of his pickled grapes!!!!!

Oh boy, that sounded bad . . . .:o:d
Yeah. Well. Uhm.... Thanks?Y:o:D
Note: I edited the recipe above to add a final (but important!!!) clarification....