PDA

View Full Version : losing your loved ones

skipper68
07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I really don't want to bring this to saddness&dispaire..my quiestion is,how did it affect you,on a daily level?I'm sure i did everything to the hearts desire,but I'm finding the weirdest things happening. I assume that were getting signs,but how do you comprehend the signs?I really never expect the heart ach to leave,but at times i find joy,and know that it's a sign of somewhere else. IM NOT JOKING,you can pm me..My mind is sure of this,but I'm wondering if anyone here saw happy signs. thanks.

paul oman
07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
before age 50 I had lost my parents and my only sibling - a brother. Small family. No kids of my own - I'm truly the end of the line (to the delight of many forum members). Not very close to my wife, either.

I've found I think more about my brother and parents than I did when they were alive. Also, if you think about someone who has died, they aren't really gone. What bothers me is that I am now older than my late older brother!

paul oman
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Paul, know that feeling of wishing they could share your life for a bit. My dad would have loved my NH home. Might have even impressed my brother... He once told me he needed a big house for his kids and future grand-kids, but since I didn't have kids, a double wide would be fine for me!

Ed Harrow
07-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Skip, I've been down about every iteration of this road, but I confess I don't quite understand what you are asking.

skipper68
07-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Skip, I've been down about every iteration of this road, but I confess I don't quite understand what you are asking.
We,as a family have been very blessed,as no major illnesses,deaths in 25yrs. When we lost my mom 6/6 4:28pm, alot of weird stuff started happening to me,her companion,my daughters,sister ect. As an example,my favorite,special lighter was thrown away in her room while she was in surgery,then moved to intensive care. Gone.It wasn't in a pocket,i knew where it was lost.After the family sent her peacefully on,I came home. The next morning when we woke up,it was in the middle of the dinet. We all have been having surreal experiances.While we were all togeather,writing out her obituary,my phone rang.When I opened it, it was a call from moms cell-we kinda froze,I showed everyone, and answered it-WHO WOULDN'T??When I answerd,it said the number "I"called couldnt be reached on that network.Her phone was at her house-alone in the bag of her belongings.We all believe there is more than just our bodys,but what I'm wondering is if this is kinda normal. The 4:28 time has shown up with all of us so much,that we all now say-yup! it's 4:48!!In a way it's comforting,but weird.I have nothing to compare it with.

skipper68
07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Tha quiestion is-has anyone else had strange occurances happen afterwords,like in post #6 now.. That post is a small example of the things that have been happening in our family.

Mad Scientist
07-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Tha quiestion is-has anyone else had strange occurances happen afterwords,like in post #8. That post is a small example of the things that have been happening in our family.

I think you meant post #7, and, yes, it happened to me. My (adoptive) mother died Nov. 16, 1991, from leukemia. I woke up at the time (IMHO) that her 'spirit' passed on to wherever spirits go. Certainly wasn't the first/last/weirdest experience of mine, but I mention it only to point out that (it appears) an adoptive connection could be as strong as a 'blood' link.

I like to think that we are all 'connected' somehow, but my experiences have made me into an 'agnostic'. I sincerely hope that this little post helps you to get a sense of 'closure'.

Please take good care of yourself and your loved ones!

Tom

John W Smith
07-26-2010, 01:53 AM
We,as a family have been very blessed,as no major illnesses,deaths in 25yrs. When we lost my mom 6/6 4:28pm, alot of weird stuff started happening to me,her companion,my daughters,sister ect. As an example,my favorite,special lighter was thrown away in her room while she was in surgery,then moved to intensive care. Gone.It wasn't in a pocket,i knew where it was lost.After the family sent her peacefully on,I came home. The next morning when we woke up,it was in the middle of the dinet. We all have been having surreal experiances.While we were all togeather,writing out her obituary,my phone rang.When I opened it, it was a call from moms cell-we kinda froze,I showed everyone, and answered it-WHO WOULDN'T??When I answerd,it said the number "I"called couldnt be reached on that network.Her phone was at her house-alone in the bag of her belongings.We all believe there is more than just our bodys,but what I'm wondering is if this is kinda normal. The 4:28 time has shown up with all of us so much,that we all now say-yup! it's 4:48!!In a way it's comforting,but weird.I have nothing to compare it with.

OH yeah - we've had some stuff like that happen in my family. As far as physical manifestations, the closest thing that we had on that level was on the day before my mother's 82nd birthday (about 11 months after her passing on 11/26/08) I woke up out of a sound sleep and "felt" that I "needed" to go to the china hutch in the dining room. I'd been looking for a couple of rings that she'd bequeathed to family members and hadn't been able to locate - searched around in the hutch for about 30 seconds, and found them where she'd hidden them. That after searching for the things for about 6-7 months, including that china hutch. One other one I'll share - I noticed one day shortly after my mom's passing that my cell phone's voice mail had suddenly jumped from just a few voice mails to about 35-36; the voice mails dated back to the day when I cancelled the rental agreement with the assisted living facility where she had been staying (she was in a nursing home at that point) and the first message was one my mom had left for me to call her. Checked with the cell phone carrier, and they had no explanation (nobody restored anything from backup, no one was reporting anomalous behavior on their phones, yadda yadda yadda) and suggested that I delete the messages manually.

I could go on (and on, and on...zzzZZZZzzz...) but you probably get my drift. Far as it being commonplace, no - I've spoken with a number of people on the subject over the past year and a half; most people have some sort of tale to tell, but the events vary quite a bit; some people don't get much, others do.

Incidentally, if you have access to professional nursing magazines, they tend to have articles on the subject from time to time; even better if you have access to RN/LVN/LPN/CNA's that can or will discuss some of the things that they experience with terminally ill or elderly patients.

So yeah, it happens - if it bugs you enough, there are cousellors available through hospices, hospitals, etc. that can put you in touch with people to discuss the matter with. For me - I tend to treat it as just another part of life that we don't know all that much about, and leave it at that. Nice to think that mom's checking in from time to time, though.|:)

Jim Mahan
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
You don't lose your loved ones. I mean no disrespect, and (for once) I'm not being glib. I mean to share this for your solace. I suppose posting this will ensure that I'll be on a lot of ignore lists. Oh, well...
"Giving up the ghost" is backwards. When a person's life-time here is over, they give up the body. Life is eternal and doesn't end when a person does. The lifetime of a person coincides with the animation of that body, and is marked by "individual" aspects such a distinctive name, face, address, occupation, etc. In that sense, the end of that existence is an opportunity to rejoice that that person is now fulfilled. Whatever that life-time was about is now over. But the spirit, the heart, mind, soul—that intangible essence that each of us know—is not bound, in reality, by names, dates, geography, profession, etc. When the body and it's associated paraphernalia are relinquished, only the illusion of time is over; the reality of each person is unchanged by the shedding of the costume.
Congratulations are in order for one who is done and released. Regardless of the details of a persons life-time, whether noble or otherwise in the eyes of the world, short or long, whatever, the truth is that life, which we all share, is eternal and the same for each of us, in the true sense of the word, is individual—undividable.
I miss my parents and my younger brother. I would like to have shared with them the parts of my life they have apparently missed, but I take comfort in believing what I have written above. The notion that loved ones live on in your thoughts is nice but leaves lots of questions unanswered, left as it is, obscured by the veil of time's illusion.
No one has a more valid take on life and death than anyone else, no one exempt, no reprieve. No anecdote of near-death experience, can genuinely serve as guide; all such experiences are by definition still in the realm of the illusion of time.
Here is the key: eternity, our actual home, is not an empty religious concept, not just a very long time, not some remote reward for the righteous, and no home for persons or any artifact of this temporal illusion in which we seem to be participating. Eternity is now and always. Our life is that. We all share it, and nothing in time can change it or have any effect on it, and none of life can be excluded. Death isn't real; it is only a dramatic piece of the same, all encompassing illusion.
"Nothing real can be threatened; nothing unreal exists. Therein lies the peace of God."

paul oman
07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
if you don't find comfort in religion, there is a quote by John Gay (1700s?)
"Man is immortal. He may know he is going to die, but he never knows when he is dead."

skipper68
07-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow you guys,you have no idea how much I am comforted with your replies. As all these sureal thing continue,at least I can no that it's not just me..and can enjoy the surprises for what they are,a little love coming my way.Thank you all,and feel welcome to share more experiences,as there really interesting.

Ed Harrow
07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
One glorious September morning I awoke to an odd noise out front. When I looked out the window there was a grouse in the middle of the cul-de-sac, flapping its wings, flapping them less and less, until, before I got out there, it was dead.

A few minutes later the phone rang - my father had just died...

There was a light snow a day or two after my brother was killed. It fell overnight - when I looked out the window of my parent's house I saw some motorcycle tracks in the snow on the driveway - they went to the barn, turned around, and back out...

skipper68
07-26-2010, 12:20 PM
The nite before this happend,she was going home from the hosp. the next day. That nite,my sister,my neice,and I all woke up at 3am.We all live over 50 miles from each other.We all had a feeling of doom,it seemed.Then after,when all the doing was done,my capt.,who dont wear a watch,asked me like 5 diffrent times,what the time was(waiting for beerthirty to come!)each time,it was 4:28.Her companion called and said he couldn't find the phone charger from the hospital,said he went outside to her garden,and whenhe came in,a piece of paper on the table was over something,and there the charger was.These are very intresting observations.

andrewe
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Odd thread, I spoke to both my parents the day before they died. Without knowing they were going (nor did they). In my opinion, the afterlife is our memories of the passed. Not some religious make over. I often dream of them in contempory situations, but no stuff switching places.
A

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
I see people who have died in my dreams when I'm sleeping.
They're always happy and glad to see me as I am them.
Not sure what that means but there it is.

skipper68
07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I started googling some stuff,but felt that wasn't the answers that i wanted to know about-felt creepy&artificial.I did however see a site of a million dollor reward to any one who has absolute proof.It's still up for grabs. I appreciate the input from the average joes here-I almost said normal:d!