PDA

View Full Version : An interesting immigration dilemma in my town

Hwyl
07-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Despite the TV stations assertions I do think there are limits on the E2 visa, I think the investment has to be returning a significant sum, more than $100K as I recall.

I'm surprised this couple got booted out of the country however, they were supporting themselves and were not taking jobs from others. The "other" breakfast place in town, The Maine Diner, has constant lines.

Dean managed to raise my ire on a couple of occasions and I did not visit their place in the last 8 years or so. It tended to be grimy and Laura's obesity was a reminder that one was eating unhealthy food.

The story in a nutshell for those who don't want to view the link. Ten years ago, Laura and Dean came here on an investment visa, they started a small restaurant and British goods store, they hoped to grow quickly and that never happened, but they did manage to stay afloat, employ some part timers and buy a house.

Someone in the immigration dept noticed their case and deemed that they were not making enough money and they go deported.
http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_4186.shtml

skuthorp
07-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Was the 'investment' their own money? There's a 'business migration' setup here with a minumum amount that has to be brought in to the country. We are having our own unedifying circus here with migration and refugees being mixed up for political purposes by both sides. We call it 'dog whistle politics' in that only some of the people are concerned.

Mrleft8
07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Good ridance! We kicked you limey's out 225 (or so) years ago..... Time for a new house cleaning!!!!! ;)

Hwyl
07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Even more compelling stories http://www.buzzfeed.com/flaviaisabel/20-good-reasons-to-risk-deportation-for-the-dream-1nzi

WX
07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Good ridance! We kicked you limey's out 225 (or so) years ago..... Time for a new house cleaning!!!!! ;)
Who are you calling a Limey? Dems fighten words.:)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Good ridance! We kicked you limey's out 225 years ago.....

Since when the teaching of basic arithmetic has been dismal.....

Mrleft8
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Last time I looked 1781 is 229 years before 2010.......That's the "or so"..... I assume some of you dragged your feet, whined and wheedled, in general took your own sweet time to skeedaddle back across the pond, or become true patriotic, gun toting, tobacco chewing, whiskey swilling 'Murcans..... ;) :D