PDA

View Full Version : Best iPhone apps?

David G
07-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm leaning heavily toward an iPhone. Haven't decided between the 3GS and the 4.

I'm curious, though, what apps people find useful. Both for business and for personal use.

There are thousands available. Even if you decide you want to do a certain type of task with the iPhone... how does one choose between the various similar apps?

What apps do you iPhone users actually have on your phones. What ones do you use regularly?

willmarsh3
07-22-2010, 01:22 AM
I use "Near" and "Around Me" to help find places. Shazam works well for naming a song on the radio. Another really cool app is Ocarina. I'm told there's a wind speed app but I don't have it yet.

David G
07-22-2010, 01:30 AM
One thing I'm particularly interested in is the GPS and nav charts functions.

martin schulz
07-22-2010, 02:58 AM
INavX - navigation software including charts.

The display is a bit small for the charts, but as backup to conventional charts and to use a s gps its great.

Tom Montgomery
07-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I prefer two tin cans and a length of string.

skuthorp
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't have an iPhone, but my free cell phone came with two really useful apps built in;

Answer Call
Make Call

It also came with Ring Tone You Can Hear Without Disturbing Your Neighbor.
I'm sort of with Donn, but if you just remember that it's a tool not a toy you'll be OK I reckon. Depends how much time and cash you've got as well.

martin schulz
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I prefer two tin cans and a length of string.

Yes and plain yelling works also when the recipient is not too far away!

boatbuddha
07-22-2010, 10:31 AM
France24, the ability to watch a live newscast from almost anywhere.

ron ll
07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
As a boater, one I use a lot is Aye Tides. There are several tide and current apps for free, but I've tried several and much prefer Aye Tides even tho it is not free.

I also use NOAA Buoy a lot.

I just picked up my iPhone 4 yesterday and have to comment on how fast it is. I've had the original and the 3G, but not the 3Gs. But the 4 is a real pleasure to use.

One source for finding occasional good apps is Gizmodo.com.

Another app I spend a lot of time with is the Kindle iPhone app. I love reading on the iPhone but I admit it's not for everyone. But I sure like always having my book, and in fact an entire bookstore, in my pocket.

Bob Roncace
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
"Lose It!" if you've got a serious amount of weight to lose this ap will really help you manage your daily calorie intake and exercise regimen. Add a dash of willpower and a smidge of physical exertion and you too could lose 50 pounds in 6 months - I did!

shamus
07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
"Darkness" for moon and tide works well for me.
"Mirror"- you hand it to your wife when she hasn't got a mirror and it completely justifies the purchase.

ron ll
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
"Darkness" for moon and tide works well for me.
"Mirror"- you hand it to your wife when she hasn't got a mirror and it completely justifies the purchase.

On your suggestion, I tried "Mirror". Ugliest damn app I've ever seen. :)