PDA

View Full Version : Question for Scot: What ARE the forum rules?

Steve Paskey
07-21-2010, 08:18 PM
A post in another section got me to wondering about the rules concerning advertising and self-promotion by people who earn money selling boating-related products or services. The frequently asked questions section of the forum contains this statement:

BASIC FORUM ETIQUETTE: PLAY NICE
Reminder... by signing up to post on this Forum, you've agreed to make nice, and [to] pages and pages of rules the greedy lawyers wrote. It all comes down to:
Don't be rude.
Don't sell stuff or services.
Don't post inappropriate pictures.
Don't whine at the Admin. He hates that.
Don't create a new user to come back in if you were temporarily or permanently banned. It's bad Karma.

But here's the thing: where are those pages and pages of rules the "greedy lawyers" supposedly wrote? I can't find them, and I don't recall seeing them or being given an opportunity to read them when I signed up. As best I can tell, when people register for the forum, this little blurb on forum etiquette is all they see.

I'm not whining or anything, mind you, but if those pages and pages of rules aren't available for viewing when people register, then no one has "agreed" to them.

Can you please tell me where I can find these rules? Or is the short passage quoted above the sum total of the rules for the forum? Thank you!

S/V Laura Ellen
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
IMHO you just broke rules 1 & 4.:)

Glen Longino
07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Heheh!

Steve Paskey
07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
IMHO you just broke rules 1 & 4.:)

Well, I'm one of those folks who has never been banned, so perhaps this is my chance. :)

Glen Longino
07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Nope, you won't get banned for that, Steve!
Our Scot is a "forgiving" Scot...sometimes!

Dumah
07-21-2010, 09:14 PM
This is the bilge, first rule ................. there aren't any??? Maybe it's my turn to be banned :confused:

Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Glen Longino
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Nope, Dumah, you're way too kind and genteel to be banned so far.
Try harder to be rude, I mean really rude! Heheh!

Nicholas Carey
07-22-2010, 01:11 AM
...here's the thing: where are those pages and pages of rules the "greedy lawyers" supposedly wrote? I can't find them, and I don't recall seeing them or being given an opportunity to read them when I signed up. As best I can tell, when people register for the forum, this little blurb on forum etiquette is all they see.The TOS is on the registration page. You have to click a checkbox indicating your acceptance of the TOS. As it currently stands, here's what it says:
Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Proceed...' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED], nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

BASIC FORUM ETIQUETTE: PLAY NICE
Reminder... by signing up to post on this Forum, you've agreed to make nice, and pages and pages of rules the greedy lawyers wrote. It all comes down to:

Don't be rude.
Don't sell stuff or services.
Don't post inappropriate pictures.
Don't whine at the Admin. He hates that.
Don't create a new user to come back in if you were temporarily or permanently banned. It's bad Karma.
Read the FAQ... it tells you how registration works, how to post comments, how to post pictures, how to use the search function, and more.