should the government tax soda with a bad for you health tax?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdowney717
    old egg owner
    • Jan 2004

should the government tax soda with a bad for you health tax?

Why not pizza? or twinkies? or donuts?

How abut white rice and potatoes? A lot of starch in those and it goes right to your sugar level like soda.
  • sdowney717
    old egg owner
    • Jan 2004

Re: should the government tax soda with a bad for you health tax?

Researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health completed a study in which they found eating five servings of white rice per week was associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Eating two or more servings of brown rice was associated with a lower risk of the disease. They also found replacing 50 grams of white rice with the same amount of brown rice, (one third of a daily serving) could reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by 16%. Replacing the same amount of white rice with whole wheat or barley was associated with a 36% reduced risk.
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/dia...by-brown.html#

tremendous numbers of diabetics out there now due to eating too much rice. High fructose corn syrup is going into everything. HFCS your body turns into fat metabolized by the liver. And when you eat HFCS, you dont experience a reduction in hunger so you just keep eating.
    That food should not just be taxed but banned along with butter, sugar, corn flakes etc...

Comment

• ahp
      • Jan 2001

YES. I pay more Medicare deduction from my SS because some people pig out on junk and cost more for health care. It isn't just their business what they eat. I becomes mine too.

Comment

• wizbang 13
        • Oct 2009

hfcs is not even food. seen the mexican coke,refresca? real sugar.

Comment

• sdowney717
          old egg owner
          • Jan 2004

HFCS is not something people would naturally eat. It is a chemically created substance to fool your body into thinking something is sweet.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
            • Apr 1999

As the great Russel Long put it, "Don't tax you. Don't tax me. Tax that fellow behind that tree."

In other words, I had to give up Coke for diabetes.

Odd side note - My doc thinks I likely triggered it by going completely crazy drining about a half gallon of orange juice a day. I can eat all the oranges I want as the pulp helps my body handle the sugar load but the juice . . .

Still in all, the highly processed foods we get from all the USDA subsidized sugar beets grown by family farms like Lockheed are a major health problem. More than a numby tax on the products, we should just end the subsidies to the sugar beet industy.

Comment

• James McMullen
              老板
              • Apr 2007

Since this tax wouldn't affect me, I am of course very much in favor of it. Tax the hell out of Miracle Whip and Miller Lite too, while you're at it!

Just don't you dare tax my caramel latte mochaccino with rainbow sprinkles dammit! That would be tyranny!

Comment

• James McMullen
                老板
                • Apr 2007

Whassamatta, Bum? Ain't you confident enough in yer masculinity to order a big ol' Estrogen Special from yer local barista? Plain black coffee is for people without Platinum Visa cards.

Comment

• oznabrag
                  Historical Illiterate
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by wizbang 13
                  hfcs is not even food. seen the mexican coke,refresca? real sugar.
                  Yes.
                  Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                    pinko commie tree hugger
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by botebum
                    Is there a "gayest post of the month" thread yet?

Doug
                    dude cuts lap gains by eye with a worm drive 'skil' saw. . .

I think he gets a pass on being gay.
                    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

Working...