PDA

View Full Version : how do you feel about nylon bilge pump thru hulls?

sdowney717
07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
seeing they are above the waterline.
I was thinking of adding some pumps and they would be cheap.
I know the older plastic thru hulls tended to crack. How good are these nylon ones?
Like these ones here, but they would be 1 1/8 inch diameter.

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-THRU-HULL-FITTING-50010234-Reference/dp/B000Y7Q0AI

Garret
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
seeing they are above the waterline.
I was thinking of adding some pumps and they would be cheap.
I know the older plastic thru hulls tended to crack. How good are these nylon ones?
Like these ones here, but they would be 1 1/8 inch diameter.

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-THRU-HULL-FITTING-50010234-Reference/dp/B000Y7Q0AI

My boat has 2 nylon bilge pump through-hulls - both above the waterline.

They've been in for (as far as I can tell - the former owner installed them) about 15 years. No problems that I can see & both were pulled & reinstalled 3 years ago while repairing seams & refairing the hull.

Obviously, nylon should never go below the waterline, but you know that already...

wizbang 13
07-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Do you mean "marelon"? They are the only through hull I use. Above or below WL. No electrolysis /corrosion potential.

Soundman67
07-18-2010, 05:54 PM
the danger is that the wood swelling might crack the nylon? and we are talking about the white plastic ones correct?
would it help ease the breakage worry to leave a lot of compound between the thruhull and the wood? like just squish it down when you put it in and not squish it all out. then when it sets up you can tighten it. That should give enough when the wood swells wouldnt it?

Mad Scientist
07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
2 quuick questions...What does the manufacturer say? What does the USCG say?

If they agree that you are using the thru-hulls properly, that should indicate that you are safe!

Tom

Hwyl
07-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Like WizBang, I prefer them to bronze

sdowney717
07-18-2010, 07:55 PM
sounds like everyone says they are fine above the waterline.
These are just plain unreinforced nylon white through hulls like you would use for bilge pumps drains etc...

JimConlin
07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Marelon, a glass reinforced nylon, is excellent.
Plain nylon is not OK.

michigangeorge
07-19-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with Jim Conlin above. I have replaced several which were very brittle when old and could break very easily. They also look out of place on a wooden boat IMHO.

donald branscom
07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Do you mean "marelon"? They are the only through hull I use. Above or below WL. No electrolysis /corrosion potential.

Marelon through hulls have been tested by the US coast guard for steel boats that carry passengers . They were tested for fire and passed. Only the handle got slightly damaged.
I used them on two of my steel boats. Excellent and smooth operation for 11 years of service and of coarse no dissimilar metal corrosion potential.