PDA

View Full Version : Cost of new boat

Pete Dorr
09-19-2000, 06:30 AM
In the launchings section of the current WB there is a 21 foot Fenwick Williams catboat. Would anyone care to guess at the cost of this boat.

Does anyone have an opinion on the sailing characteristics of a Fenwick Williams design vs the Marshall/Menger boats.

Thanks
Pete

Art Read
09-19-2000, 01:22 PM
Don't have that issue by my side, but just a wild eyed guess... Built by a professional yard, $30 some grand? Built yourself with lots of time and some judicous "scrounging"? $10 grand? Maybe a few more or less?

Thad
09-20-2000, 05:00 AM
I think that is probably a little low Art, I'd say 50+. The Fenwick Williams cats are proper cats and sail like proper cats!

Pete Dorr
09-20-2000, 07:11 AM
Thad

In what way will a Fenwick cat outsail a Marshall or Menger ?

Would you say that all things being equal you would buy the Fenwick over the fiberglass tubs ?

Pete

Thad
09-20-2000, 11:30 AM
Did I say the FCW cat would outsail a fiberglass tub? People say the Marshalls are fast, maybe because they badly want to win races, but if racing is their thing why do they have a catboat in the first place. The first way the FCW will outsail the FT is in comfort and solidity. The second way is in quiet and warmth. The third is in the beauty of tapered wooden spars and individual details. I had an 18' FCW cat for a few years, it was a delight to sail.

Kermit
09-20-2000, 05:30 PM
Never underestimate the cost of a catboat! They are surprisingly large little boats. A 21' catboat is really big. I can't imagine getting away with 50k for a traditionally built cat over 20'.

Just for the fun of it, think back to "Cheers!" and the mailman, Cliffie Claven. Actor John Ratzenberger had Sam Devlin build him a 21'7" plywood catboat. John has decided for whatever reasons (like maybe it rains way too much here in the upper left corner) to sell. It's back in Devlin's yard and is a bargain at 65k. I've been aboard, but only at the dock. My wife and I had to get off quick, because we found ourselves actually considering it. You can take the virtual tour at http://www.devlinboat.com/usedcatboat.jpg

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Kermit (edited 09-20-2000).]

ishmael
09-20-2000, 05:45 PM
'Course, depending on where you live, you could build it yourself from local materials, with 'galvanized' vs. 'yacht' finishes and materials, for a whole bunch less. Find one of those old, slow turning Sabb diesels that almost no one wants anymore, recut a sail, local cedar on local oak etc.

With that approach, and a flexible time line, well... I wouldn't think 15 grand would be outa' line, in the water ready to sail 'cept for the pots and pans.