PDA

View Full Version : Ok rat, game on!

John of Phoenix
07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
A Rat with an attitude.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IUw_uQ51QLA/TDJobHHVdHI/AAAAAAAAAJk/Uz_a_iJCG3E/s800/2010-07-03%2016.31.55.jpg

McMike
07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
IS that rat crap on that trap!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!! I had pet rats once, they are fairly smart critters for their size.

botebum
07-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I had them licking peanut butter off the triggers and never tripping them. I changed to impaling a 3/4 inch piece of hot dog on the trigger. Got two of them right off the bat.

Doug

Glen Longino
07-05-2010, 07:36 PM
"...and we've been involved with some pretty serious unnatural selection..."

Too danged funny my man!
Hey, speak for yourself, will ya!

J P
07-05-2010, 08:05 PM
It's us or them.

I was looking into a ratzapper (http://www.ratzapper.com/) to battle the chipmunk horde that is invading my garden this year. Little rats with stripes ... looking less cute by the day.

McMike
07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a great cat you can borrow; she's also good at keeping the squirrel and rabbit population in check. Why just last month she killed 4 baby rabbits. Bit off their heads and presented them to us on the back porch in a nice neat row of gore. Yesterday she caught an adult squirrel, she left us the back end. Mice are running in terror, the ones that are left that is. She gets at least 2 or 3 a week, moles too.

paladin
07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Charley R. B. Solomon (Charley Round Bottom), now deceased, after 21 years, would bring the mice in the house and play with then in the kitchen or den, and more than one survived for 2-3 hours and only eventually died of heart attacks.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Then there is the greaseball rat king.....

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/dauber190/rfrod5.jpg

Garret
07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll second the "tweak the trigger" comment. Luckily, I only deal with mice, but they can lick a stock trap clean every time. It needs to be bent so that it's more sensitive. I also find that putting a decent amount of peanut butter under the trigger works well - as they try to get under it & push it up - setting it off.

Canoez
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Itty-bitty claymores?

:confused:

skuthorp
07-06-2010, 02:22 AM
We had a big'un in the garage, lived in the base of one of the big milling machines. Exported him with the machine courtesy of a couple of wood plugs, one of which i loosened when the truck was on the street.

doorstop
07-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Two or even three nice sharp fine gauge nails driven through from the back side so the things are impaled as well as clonked from above.

ChaseKenyon
07-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Two or even three nice sharp fine gauge nails driven through from the back side so the things are impaled as well as clonked from above.

Porter Cable angle finish nailers (standard senco type nails at 15 gage 2 to 2 1/2 inch) are the absolute best. easy to hold the safety back and just keep firing and they are really accurate also.

The PC 1/4 round stapler works fine for smaller game if you load up 1 1/4 inch sets.

on the other hand, even if not as humane, a couple of big old 24 lb solid hunter Maine Coon Cats are a lot less effort on my part.

paladin
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
My aunt had a pair of Rat Terriers...favorite sport was to take them for a walk with us...near the chikkin house and barn....those critters would dig deep holes so fast the rat colony couldn't get away......and it was a scene out of a Chinese moooovie...mayhem everywhere....then walk the bloody dogs back and give them a bath.....

Y Bar Ranch
07-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I had them licking peanut butter off the triggers and never tripping them.
If you wrap the trigger in a bit of string and wipe the PB on that, they'll trigger it.

Bobby of Tulsa
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
A Rat with an attitude.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IUw_uQ51QLA/TDJobHHVdHI/AAAAAAAAAJk/Uz_a_iJCG3E/s800/2010-07-03%2016.31.55.jpg
From one trapper to another, put that trap about six inches up the wall. When he stands up to eat, bam you got him

James McMullen
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
And once you've got 'em, you can then recreate the ever popular and oh so nautically historical Midshipman's Pie as referenced by Forrester, O'Brien and others.

Milo Christensen
07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Is anyone else intriqued by the fact that we seem to have quite a few bilge rats who have rat problems and have, or are developing, rat catching expertise?

Garret
07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Is it cannibalism??????

Bobby of Tulsa
07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Is anyone else intriqued by the fact that we seem to have quite a few bilge rats who have rat problems and have, or are developing, rat catching expertise?

I had to catch them to eat. I dont know why these other guys are trapping them.

Old Dryfoot
07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Good luck getting rid of the little buggers!
In my yard I have a large pergola with an Ivy roof, the rats love to nest in it. I have used traps, sonic chasers, endless harassment, and I even scalped the ivy bald last year. I still have rats... I'm just about ready to buy a pellet pistol and sit out waiting for them to leave the nest before dusk, they seem to come out to forage in the evening. I can thank the neighbours for putting food scraps in open composts for the problem too; keep food scraps out of your compost or use a rat proof one if you need to compost kitchen scraps. If I could I would poison them out but there is a daycare run from the house and three dogs using the yard, that would be the sure way to get rid of them though.

The string on the trigger with PB is a good tip, as is tuning the trigger.

botebum
07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
If you wrap the trigger in a bit of string and wipe the PB on that, they'll trigger it.I'll give that a try if they return. Haven't seen signs of mice or rats in the house since last fall. Since I got Kito I haven't seen any outside either. I know they are nearby. The swamp and the river are a five minute walk and the wood rats run the ditch-lines. Last I knew I had a 4+ foot black racer living under the house. An excellent guard against rats and mice.

Doug

oznabrag
07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll give that a try if they return. Haven't seen signs of mice or rats in the house since last fall. Since I got Kito I haven't seen any outside either. I know they are nearby. The swamp and the river are a five minute walk and the wood rats run the ditch-lines. Last I knew I had a 4+ foot black racer living under the house. An excellent guard against rats and mice.

Doug

+1 on the rat-snake.

'Em 'ere is a bad mammajamma. 839

I knew a dude who kept one as a shop mascot. I say 'kept', but he mainly just kept the carpenters from killing the thing. I about pooped in my britches when I first saw it. My mind went wild when it occurred to me that the muntins in the window were moving!840 One old boy damned near launched himself off an eight-foot ladder for destinations unknown over that snake!

That snake went 5 or 6 years, and there was never a rodent problem.

OconeePirate
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Our old house was backed by a fried chicken place which had just recently gone out of business, thus lots of hungry rats in the neighborhood looking for new food sources. Big ones.
When I moved back in I had a pet rabbit who had the run of the house. The whole time we had him we had no rodent problem. I don't know if they avoided the house because it smelled like rabbit, if he actively ran 'em out, or if it was coincidence. After he passed away we started to have a rat problem. Claymores are too good for them, I wanted little rat sized Bouncing Betties.
I never had much luck with traps, finally got rid of them by using (the heart medicine stuff, makes 'em bleed out from the inside?) poison. Big funky chunk sort of things that came from the feed and seed.

switters
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
that would be reindeer then. Very different.