Should I matt epoxy before painting the next layer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glider
    • Nov 2005

Should I matt epoxy before painting the next layer?

I covered a plywood deck with one layer of glass on epoxy. Then I painted it with one more layer of resin to fill the fabric texture, but that wasn't enough - texture is still visible in most places. It was about a _week_ ago.

Now I have a dilemma. I can:
    1) Paint more epoxy without prior sanding, but I'm afraid that the next layer will not bond well to the cured glossy epoxy (given that at least 7 days passed since I painted the last layer).
    2) Sand everything to have a matt surface, but then I will damage glass fabric in some places / high spots (not all way down to the plywood, though).

Second variant is also more laborious (boat is 37ft on deck and I hate sanding glass or plastic). What would your do?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
  • Thorne
    Like my hat?
    • Aug 2005

Re: Should I matt epoxy before painting the next layer?

I'll guess that you should at least lightly sand the current coating and apply more. If the glass is close enough to the surface to be damaged by light sanding, it would probably be damaged by foot traffic or wear and tear.

Is the epoxy non-blushing, or do you need to scrub it with water and a mild abrasive pad to clean it?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• w ripley
      w ripley
      • May 2010

You have to protect the epoxy (cover it) from UV rays, so sooner or later you are going to have to sand for the coating to adhere. Preparation is the name of the game with all coatings. I can tell you this from too many lessons learned the hard way.

If you think the existing epoxy is thick enough and you are going to cover the decks with non-skid anyway (no sand, please), then sanding and coating with the non-skid may fill in the voids in the cloth, saving you one step. If you elect to go with another coat of just epoxy you might consider adding a sandable filler to more quickly build-up the surface.

Be sure you're ready to apply the final coat before the epoxy cures, if you're using a compatable final coating.

Boats are not easy.

Bill

Comment

• RodB
        Banned
        • Apr 2003

Gilder... you sure have some fantastic looking women in your home town... especially online...

Obviously, you need to apply more epoxy... even if it has cured for a week, you can still recoat it if you clean it thoroughly with scotch bright and a very stiff brush... and water.... The goal is to remove all glossy finish on your epoxy... simple scrubbing with scotch bright and water will dull a glossy epoxy surface and allow a very strong secondary bond with the next coat.

Next time, just keep applying epoxy until the weave is buried enough to allow sanding and still keep the weave covered with epoxy. Try to make epoxy application one long session... and with such a large surface you could have kept working for a few days... especially if you are applying the next coat of epoxy within 12 hours to each surface... less time between coats is better. You caused your own "more difficult" set of circumstances by waiting between coats of epoxy.

I have been advised by someone who is a professional builder designer... and has built over 60 boats... that a chemical bond between coats is possible even with 12-24 hours between coats....

RodB

Comment

• Glider
          • Nov 2005

The epoxy is not non-blushing, but is glossy and I can see from your answers that I need to sand it, at least lightly. Thanks for comments!

The next time I will certainly coat it in one go (this time I was interrupted). Or better yet - build a planked deck!

2 RodB - not bad "offline" either

Comment

• wizbang 13
            • Oct 2009

..next time use dynel!

Comment

• Thorne
              Like my hat?
              • Aug 2005

Remember that glass cloth can easily be contaminated by handling or in storage, so consider buying new cloth if you end up replacing any.
              "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
              Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

Working...