PDA

View Full Version : Fox Island Class Sloop

Wayne Williams
12-10-2000, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this Joel White design, either building or sailing (see Forty Wooden Boats)? It appears to be a doable project and to offer performance that won't be embarrassing in the local PHRF fleet races.

rbgarr
12-10-2000, 04:25 PM
Don't you have to have lifelines and a self-bailing cockpit (among other things, probably) to race in PHRF fleets?

Wayne Williams
12-10-2000, 04:51 PM
Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology tho' that's what the locals call it. This is handicap racing between mixed classes. Catalina's predominate with a few S2's and a handful of J-24's.

Bill Berrisford
12-11-2000, 11:00 AM
Wayne- The Fox Island sails great- a nice single hander with good balance. The spacing between the laminated frames is such that ribbands or temporary frames in between are necessary during construction. You can see ours in the May/June WB pg.49

- Bill

Wayne Williams
12-11-2000, 06:49 PM
Bill-

That's the May/June issue of what year?

Did you build the boat yourself? I'd like to hear more about how it went together.

How does the boat behave in very light air?

I'm after a daysailer that can extend the sailing season into early spring and late fall. It's all light air here during the summer months. The Fox Island appears to offer enough stability and shelter in the cockpit to make sailing in cooler weather enjoyable. What do you think?

-Wayne

Wayne Williams
12-11-2000, 06:57 PM
Dumb question. Shoulda looked you up before I posted.

Bill Berrisford
12-12-2000, 11:00 AM
Issue #112, 1993.

-Sorry Wayne

The boat moves very easily and tracks like an arrow. We shipped a keel to a guy in Hawaii who was building a 24 ft version back in '94 but I have never heard how well he made out.

-Bill

Wayne Williams
12-12-2000, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your input Bill.

My wife and I had our first child about seven weeks ago so a project like this one is a little way off. I'm fairly well convinced this boat would meet my needs tho'.

When I am ready I'd like to contact you about a keel, that's one part of the project I don't have any desire to try and tackle myself.

-Wayne

Wayne Williams
12-14-2000, 06:30 AM
One last comment for anyone who may be lurking. I ran a few numbers on this boat:

Displacement/Length = 117 putting it in the ultra light displacement category.

Sail Area/Displacement = 16.4 making it a moderate racer cruiser.

The capsize screening formula yields 1.96. Anything less than 2 is supposed to be relatively resistant to capsize. Does anybody have a feel for the usefulness or accuracy of this number. It certainly doesn't tell you as much as a graph of righting moments.

Bill - If your still there. I can't read the weight of the lead ballast on my drawing. Could you let me know what is?

-Wayne

Nels
12-15-2000, 11:55 AM
There's a nice photo of one in the Launchings section of WB #99.

Bill Berrisford
12-16-2000, 12:09 AM
Wayne-
The keel is 955 lbs (almost half of the total displacement) and because it is hanging below 4 inches of deadwood the CG is well below the fairbody. An even lighter molded plywood version would not be too hard to build...What a screamer that would be.

-Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Berrisford (edited 12-16-2000).]

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-24-2000, 11:31 AM
If this is also known as a White 23 (don't have my old issue handy) I love this design and saw one at the Maine Boatbuilders Show in 1999. It seems like it would be quite a difficult project however! Maybe when I finish restoring a STAR and Lightning Class boats.... Would love to hear more of your thoughts on this. Merry XMAS, David

Wayne Williams
12-26-2000, 08:39 PM
Sailordave:

I suspect you are thinking of the 23' centerboard sloop. It's also in 40 Wooden Boats. It's cold molded and has tighter turns in the stern. So, yes, it probably would be harder to build.

There's a fiberglass version being sold as the Sakonnet 23. You can check it out here:
www.sakonnet23.com (http://www.sakonnet23.com)

The fox island is lapstrake plywood and doesn't turn as sharply near the ends. I just recieved the back issue of Woodenboat Bill mentioned. There's a photo about 2"X2" and a full page article on the boat as an inset to a larger article about Skiff Craft in Ohio.