PDA

View Full Version : Tired of having my things stolen

Captain Blight
06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
So the F***3rs clipped the lock on my bicycle last night and made off with it. Dammit, I just put a new chain on it and and $50 in new brake pads too. Went through it and tightened, lubed, and adjusted as necessary. Dammit dammit dammit. I think what I'm most tuned up about losing isn't the new rear wheel, it's the nice old bar-mounted bottle-holder with the spring-loaded clamp. It was awesome.

RIP Murder Beacon, you served me well. You will be avenged!! (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-End-Bike-Theft-The-Honeybike-Project/)

switters
06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
good website, sorry about your bike.

Captain Blight
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
good website, sorry about your bike.
Thanks man. You'd think a lock would work, wouldn't you? Apparently not in the Stevens neighborhood.

SWIMPAL's birthday yesterday, too. Drat.

TimH
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
The joys of city life

Bill R
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Time to institute Public Floggings. I propose every other Tuesday at noon in the public square to start, and adjust the schedule as necessary.

George Jung
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM
My daughter had her bike stolen from in front of her apartment, daylight, while she was there - and it was chained. She stores hers indoors now.

Is there a tracking chip that can be placed in a bike, similar to those in laptops?

Canoez
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
How about a folder, Blighty?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-11-2010, 12:51 PM
My kids constantly leave their bikes on the front lawn or stoop overnight. I keep telling them it's a big mistake, but they won't listen. Been here 21 years now, and never had anything taken. Defies the odds for this town.

The locals have probably seen your hat.

Captain Blight
06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Time to institute Public Floggings. I propose every other Tuesday at noon in the public square to start, and adjust the schedule as necessary.

Click the link, it's to an Instructable about how to use a GPS-enabled cell phone and a stun gun to make a device to shock the crime outta bike thieves. Crime is its own punishment!

paladin
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I had a lady living with me for a while a couple decades ago...or three.....she had two pre teens.....I bought them new bikes....in two weeks they were stolen...kids scoured the neighborhood looking for them...they found a kid in his parents garage with them stripped down and painting them with spray paint.....the local cops kid.....and his son was accused and he was raising hell threatening me....
at the time I was in a particular job and was a "federal officer"....so I went to the town and had him suspended indefinitely...until he agreed to purchase new bikes and have his bastard son make a public apology.....it took 3 months for him to come around...and then there wasn't any seriousness in his remorse.

nw_noob
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM

You're not the only one who thinks like this, ever see a guy in spandex bike-wear fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlvooxcbIZ0) before?

This guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qj4rkfINo&feature=PlayList&p=0DB3DF45D8527696&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=8)just messed with the thieves instead.

Sorry to hear about the bike cap'n, some people are just dicks.

boylesboats
06-11-2010, 03:03 PM
buy a cheap bike and it hardly get stolen... If it did, it wouldn't break the bank or your heart as much...

JimD
06-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Our birdbath was taken from the yard and smashed on the street a couple weeks ago. Mindless vandalism and petty theft is the norm around here.

boylesboats
06-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Our birdbath was taken from the yard and smashed on the street a couple weeks ago. Mindless vandalism and petty theft is the norm around here.

Ya oughta see what "lawn jockeys" bring... either its good or bad

skipper68
06-11-2010, 04:59 PM
geeze,friends bought a new camper for their summer camp last year..went to open i up before memorial day,and all that was there were truck tracks in the mud!never to be found again im sure.nothings safe nowdays.

George Jung
06-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I like the idea of the gps, allowing one to track the bastids down. My sisters SIL is a computer geek - someone stole his laptop, and he knew how to ID them when they used his computer. Nice pinch by law enforcement. Even if no one gets the message, there's some satisfactiton getting the yahoos off the street, even for a bit.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
When it comes to thieves I am probably the most vindicitive person in the world. Maybe you will find him/her and stomp a mud puddle in their whatever, Or maybe they will get what that Okla. bike rider got when he did a bad thing. You know the guy from Broken Arrow.

ishmael
06-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I hate thieves, who doesn't? The last major thing I had stolen was years back when someone made off with my mo-ped. I was visiting a friend one night, and when I came down to ride home it was gone. It was a big deal, because those were my wheels at the time.

The last thing I stole was a quarter off my brother's dresser, when I was six. I still feel guilty about it!

I don't know the exact mechanics, but most of us are imbued with a conscience somewhere along the line. It's weaker in some than in others, and in a rare few it's non-existent. Sociopaths. All people and things are their play toys. In a way, I pity them, without excusing them. They are stunted human beings. To never feel guilt and remorse? What an ugly, difficult, picture.

Anyway, before I launch into a psychic-social diatribe, I'm sorry your bike got ripped. It really sucks.

stevebaby
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Stealing a man's bike is like stealing his horse and the traditional penalty should apply. :D
My commiserations.Losing a favourite bike to a thief is like getting your leg sawn off.

john welsford
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
So the F***3rs clipped the lock on my bicycle last night and made off with it. Dammit, I just put a new chain on it and and $50 in new brake pads too. Went through it and tightened, lubed, and adjusted as necessary. Dammit dammit dammit. I think what I'm most tuned up about losing isn't the new rear wheel, it's the nice old bar-mounted bottle-holder with the spring-loaded clamp. It was awesome.

RIP Murder Beacon, you served me well. You will be avenged!! (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-End-Bike-Theft-The-Honeybike-Project/)

A while ago in my role as part time journalist for a local boating mag, I was asked to do a run through what was available for securing boat trailers when left for the day at the boatramp park. Some of these trailers are seriously expensive and ripping them off was epidemic at the time.

Second best of the many options was the Kryptonite locks that are favoured by the Harley Davidson owners, ( first was one of the several wheel clamps used by parking enforcement, the only way to open that one was with a gas cutting torch)
The Kryptonite one we chose after wrecking some industrial strength bolt cutters, a cordless angle grinder and several hacksaws plus getting a tame locksmith to work his magic to no avail was the long dee padlock from Kryptonite, the second choice in their range was the cable one which would suit a bicycle pretty well.
http://www.squidoo.com/best-bike-locks
Some links in there.

John Welsford

J. Dillon
06-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Assuming thieves work fast and don't take the time to really look things over, how about attaching a razor blade or barb from a fish hook in the underside of the handle bars or some place the thief is sure to "handle?" Just be sure to take em out before you use the bike.;)

JD

Hal Forsen
06-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Blightymate,
Sorry for your loss.
Biking is good. ;)
I'm curious, what brand lock were ya using that got "clipped" ? :(

C. Ross
06-11-2010, 10:01 PM
JR, that's awful. You said Stevens neighborhood -- did you move out of Elliot Park? No bike ride calls for a boat ride, eh? PM me when you have a chance.

boylesboats
06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Assuming thieves work fast and don't take the time to really look things over, how about attaching a razor blade or barb from a fish hook in the underside of the handle bars or some place the thief is sure to "handle?" Just be sure to take em out before you use the bike.;)

JD

JD...

After having stereo stolen out of one my car many years ago.. I thought of buying a cheaper stereo with hidden amp.. as I installed it, glued a few razor blades onto back of the piece.. Well needless to say.. other voices told me to remove 'em, because if theives get cut and it can backfired on me..
I ended up yanking all the blades off and rig the jamb switch to car's horn.. at night I'll leave the car unlocked, and flip a switch to arm my little security.. I'll sleep with my boots on and gun loaded..

Booby trappin' is illegal in many places

Captain Blight
06-12-2010, 07:18 AM
JR, that's awful. You said Stevens neighborhood -- did you move out of Elliot Park? No bike ride calls for a boat ride, eh? PM me when you have a chance.
SWIMPAL lives in Stevens. Only about a mile away. I tell ya what, I've definitely learned my lesson here. Two bikes in a year is just too much. Fortunately, I am going to get my emergency backup vintage nice bike up and rolling today or the next day. Since it's gonna be going in and out of the apartments with me and NOT GONNA BE LOCKED UP OUTSIDE, I've kept it pretty darn light. It feels like it's gonna be a serious mile-maker. I can see myself down on Ohage Blvd sometime in the weekends to come....

Emma56
06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I didn't think kids wanted to ride bikes anymore I guess it depends on where one lives When I was a kid , if you left a bike out in the yard It would be gone . Last summer there was a bike in the grass beside the roadway . It must have sat there for a week

boylesboats
06-13-2010, 12:26 AM
This from the marina down the way...Thief-trying-to-break-in-to-shop-hit-by-own-rock

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/3804399/Thief-trying-to-break-in-to-shop-hit-by-own-rock

that is funny :D

I like watching "World's Dumbest Criminals"

htom
06-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Bike thieves are down there with tool thieves. Karma will get them, if not Nemesis.

seafox
06-13-2010, 02:08 AM

I agree that it is maddening when some jerk steals from you some louse actually cut off the remote control on a shaking screen at work I guess for the wire and it made me fearfull about a truck I have stored at the yard.
but when I look back the ocassional times things have been stollen from me like the radiators in some trucks I had stored in a barn because the government won't let you keep unregistered vehicles out in the open. or when my grenerator and compressor were taken from my truck over the winter be cause I could not park it at my house on the street because of the snow plows I am angray but it pales in compairison at what the goverment steals from me regularly from fees it demands from my busness to keep my name at the state level and to the busness liscence at the city level where if I don't do it I will be hauled into court and more money taken from me. the same with me dogs and it seems hundereds of other fees and time taking filings that rob me of time better spent being productive.

because that is the whole point its nolt the money or the compressor or the bike that is taken that hurts so bad but the chunk of your life that you had to trade to get those things in the first place. things that you traded chunks of your life for so that you can relise your dreams. things now done like the chucks of your life already traded away and that you will have to trade away more time and hard work to get again to replace what was taken.
individual theaves steal bits , but the goverment steals a whoile lot more and its regular about it to

Dr.Spoke
06-13-2010, 06:19 AM
SWIMPAL lives in Stevens. Only about a mile away. I tell ya what, I've definitely learned my lesson here. Two bikes in a year is just too much. Fortunately, I am going to get my emergency backup vintage nice bike up and rolling today or the next day. Since it's gonna be going in and out of the apartments with me and NOT GONNA BE LOCKED UP OUTSIDE, I've kept it pretty darn light. It feels like it's gonna be a serious mile-maker. I can see myself down on Ohage Blvd sometime in the weekends to come....

PM me your address and I'll dig our some "jewelry" for the new build.
Don't forget pics, and sorry about the bike

LeeG
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Blight, what kind of lock was it?

Mrleft8
06-13-2010, 08:27 AM
I loaned a recent Sudanese immigrant one of my bikes, (a bare bones Italian 10 speed I'd had since I was 13, and repainted twice.) while he was trying to build up enough money to buy a used car. He rode it about 45 miles to work and back rain, snow, blistering heat for a year. Then someone stole it. I loaned him another bike, much fancier 15 speed mountain type dealie that an ex-girlfriend had left in the basement. He rode that for several months before he bought a car (Which died dead two weeks later.Sawdust in the tranny, metal filings in the radiator, and 70 wt. oil in the cranck case.). He'd let his nephew ride the bike to school, where he forgot it one friday afternoon..... Bye bye bike....
I think people steal bikes not because they need or want a bike. I think they just want to steal something.

goodbasil
06-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Try this. Put your regular lock around a frame part and a street sign. (Here we've had them work in pairs, one loosens the single bolt at the base of the sign and lifts it out of the socket while the other takes the bike. But what you need is a second lock. Here in Vancouver our buses will carry two bicycles on a front rack. One racks his $2,500-- bike and boards, later a second one will rack his $10-- special. Second gets off first, but takes the good one. Once he's on, he's basically uncatchable.
Here is what you do. Get a cheap padlock and put it round the large drive sprocket and chain. Often they don't notice jump on the bike but can't ride. Had that situation on the bus, rightful owner caught him due to that padlock and made "Cream of Bike Thief Soup," out of him with about 25 passengers approval.

For a while here there was a ring operating here, stealing bikes in Vancouver and shipping them to Calgary in a 40' trailer. In Calgary they were shipping them here. If you waited long enough you'd get your own bike back.

paul oman
06-13-2010, 06:08 PM
I live in semi rural NH - NH is rated the safest state in the nation - and I'm outside of the cities..

paladin
06-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Just a thought....loosen the seat clamp and remove the seat. Set another tube in it's place with a sharp point on it, maybe a blade type thing, pointy, with barbs.....then slip a fairly tight PVC tube over it and another bike seat with nothing except the leather/vinyl covering on it.....dude steals bike, hops on to ride away, weight comes down on seat, posterior gets the point, you get to keep your bike.

boylesboats
06-13-2010, 07:50 PM
What weirdest thing I seen here..
Stolen bicycles that get picked up police department, hardly returned to rightful owners, instead they donate it to charity...

They jist clean 'em up and put 'em in storage til it time to give 'em away... How mean is that?

Dr.Spoke
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
C'mon Blighty,
Where's the pics of the new "classic" build? Need to have a look at the spec. so I can dig out some goodies for you...

Captain Blight
06-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Pics up soon, I'm having a little trouble with the interface on the new digicam not wanting to work in XP Pro. You just can't put a wrench on an electron and muscle it into place, can you? I still have to un-mask the frame (I'm going to have to hold off on the reproduction decals; since the 'Super Course' and the "International" used the same font for both models, I'm going to order an extra decal so I can have a 1971 Raleigh Super InterCourse. It's the only kind I have!) and finish fitting the Berthoud fenders. Full metal fenders (mudguards) are a grace from the Lord.

Lee, it was a Kryptonite braided-cable lock. I've used it for 3 years with no problems till now. The Raleigh is going to get its very own Krypto U-Lock, though. I also included it on my renter's insurance with a stated value of $1,200. It's another $13 every 6 months, I think that's pretty cheap.

Seafox, if the Gubbimint wants my bike, they can have it when they pry it from between my massive thighs. It won't come cheap.

Dr Spoke, you serious? You got one of those little T.A. Specialites front racks that bolt to the MAFAC calipers? How about a 47-tooth 110 BCD front chainring? If I use the Suntour Winner Pro 7-speed I got, with 12-28 range, I could use my triple crankset (50/47/28), and I would have perfect half-step (ca. 10% jumps) gearing on the two big rings plus a couple 'bailout' gears for the big hills. Mind you, I'm not one to ask a lot of questions when people want to give me things. Send away, send away!!

Dr.Spoke
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't have one of those racks, I'll dig around for a chainring - would 46 or 48 work? Might have some campy shifters if you want. Know I've got some super and nouvo record derailleurs, front mechs won't work with the triple.
Got a nice Campag 68x107mm ti BB axle - works with campag or gipiemme cups - might even have some cups for it... But they'll be IT threads, no use to you... And probably won't work with your triple...
I'll dig through the "good to have box that's not for sale" ( the NOS and "hen's teeth" stuff makes me money), put up some pics and you can have your pick.