PDA

View Full Version : Plastic transducers in wooden hulls???

Adios
06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I have a question...

Can I use a plastic depth transducer, like that supplied with tacktick or raytheon instruments in a wooden cold molded hull or must it be bronze?

I would imagine that it would be OK since swelling, like in a traditional hull, should not occur in a cold molded hull.

The boat in question is http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?t=97513&page=2

Thoughts???

Thanks

John McFadden
Charleston

paladin
06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Absolutely....be sure to use a lotta bear grease around and under it....or something........

The Bigfella
06-05-2010, 07:35 PM
There's been a plastic transducer in Grantala since I got her 10 years ago. I was a bit worried about it, but its got enough clearance (I hope) and its sealed with mastic.

Concordia...41
06-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Yep.

My Raymarine transducer works just perfectly fine. It's not excactly in the location as the diagram in their instruction manual as floors and frames aren't really factored in so much these days... :rolleyes:

Adios
06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the response.
I think I'm gonna go with the tacktick wireless.

JimConlin
06-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Chuck, why would you grease a bear?

Hwyl
06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Lovely boat, there's a possibility that the transducer would work through the hull, they do in fiberglass boats. Just set it in a pipe with vegetable oil in it. Not as sensitive, but it would be a shame to pierce that beauty.

Adios
06-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Anybody have houghts on Hwyl's comment...sounding through a cold molded hull? Everything I've read says no. I agree..it's not gonna' be fun drilling a 2" hole in this boat.
John McFadden

MiddleAgesMan
06-06-2010, 05:53 AM
I asked that question re: the 9mm meranti plywood bottom on my SSS. The answers ranged from--No it won't work, theoretically, to Yes, it works just fine in my plywood boat. I've decided to skip the theory and take the word of the guy that said it works just fine, in the real world.

paladin
06-06-2010, 07:12 AM
The transducers will work thru a wooden hull...not as well as thru a solid fiberglass hull and not well thru a cored hull. It also depends on the transducer frequency. the lower frequency units will work better then hi frequency units. After installation you need to check the calibration as it will affect range and sensitivity. T'were it to be me, I'd cut a 3-4 inch diameter circle hole in the hull, fill it with glass epoxy, fiberglass the housing inside the hull, fill it with oil or distilled water (if water, wipe the face of the transducer with a bit of JOY detergent) and then seal the transducer.

CundysHarbor
06-06-2010, 07:57 AM
I had no luck reading depth through a plywood hull and finally made a full hull thickness epoxy/glass window for the internally mounted transducer to read through. In a subsequent boat, (3/4 inch cedar strip) I installed a plastic transducer throught the hull using 5200. If I need to remove the transducer, dynamite! The Tacktick gear seems incredibly expensive.
Dave

Adios
06-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Hmmm...so if I'm going to drill a big hole why just not install it through hull instead of making a glass/epoxy "window". What's the advantage other than no transducer antifouling and less drag?

Dave...yep tacktick is expensive but actually cheaper than raytheon when you add it up. The triducer will give depth/speed and the transducer can be pulled and plugged when not underway. How's yours coming?
John

CundysHarbor
06-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh, depth and speed...I see. If the transducer is inside the boat there is no hull penetration and nothing to get damaged in hauling etc. Not a big issue. My construction is dead in the water; the back has me operating at extra slow speed. I really don't want to damage the fine surgery. Exercise class three times a week and PT on the off days. In between, I've been recommissioning my previous build. Today was bottom painting day but we are having a little rain. Work will restart on the molds in a few weeks. Do you have a launch date?
Regards,
Dave

Adios
06-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll probably have her finished in august but that's the doldrums here. I'll wait until september. I'll keep you posted.
Get well soon
John

Clive P
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
To save Drilling anything more than a cable hole, I mounted a cheahttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1277/4676655152_7defe091cc_b.jpgp Transom mounted Depth gauge Under my 53 year old Dragon. Seems to work. Not pretty, but out of sight !

paladin
06-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Gawd! tons of drag.........

Breakaway
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
You can stick the 'ducer down in the bilge on a temporary basis --a big glop of vaseline will work if its a calm day. If its choppy use some 4200 or other non-permanent adhesive/sealer. Take the boat out and see how the finder performs. If good, shoot through, If not, follow other suggestions above.

Phil Y
06-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I've just put a plastic transducer thru hull into Balia. Strip planked. The thru hull was only just long enough to get thru the hull and wedge blocks I fitted inside and out to get it vertical.
I'll let you know if she sinks!
Phil