PDA

View Full Version : Israel strikes again

epoxyboy
05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
International waters - isnt that called piracy?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10648878

seanz
05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Doug; some people have jobs and aren't as uptodate as we are.
;):D

FWIW.....I saw the story on the news last night and was gunna start a thread but thought I'd wait five minutes and give someone else a chance.

skuthorp
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
I had to shut off my Sat TV service. This place is my news.

Doug

We'll have to ask Scot for a news header and schedule hourly bulletins for you. With the divergent opinion here it would be a doozy!

seanz
05-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Not me......I'm down to just the local papers and I can stop anytime I want.
;)

skuthorp
05-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Again and again I've seen CNN, NBC, etc. actually follow revelations here chronologically. There's some real junkies here.

Doug

That's one of the problems for the TV news organisations, the web is ahead of them, and indeed the web is their source for news as well so they are behind by definition. Radio is much more suited to react instantly as they need no pictures and little preparation. While newspapers are left behind in breaking news now, they are still the place where many get their opinion and analysis from.

purri
05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Get Al Jezeera sat trans and be truly informed. (BBC foreign service quality )

skuthorp
05-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Get Al Jezeera sat trans and be truly informed. (BBC foreign service quality )

Well purri, you have to take a spread of opinion and 'news' with a knowledge of the sources' record, then make up your own mind.
Most don't.

purri
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
No doubt Al Jezzara have a "take" on their regional matters but the op-ed is minimal. (unlike OZ)

skuthorp
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Th OZ is designed to sell advertising and it's demographic market is well researched. They print what their demographic wants to read. I said as much to Pat Dobson at a conference once, don't expect truth from a commercial organisation whose object is profit.

purri
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Too true but I refer to OZ papers generically. (same applies, "even" The Age. BTW I once was set to appear in an NT Supreme Court libel case; Jan Ross-Manley vs The Age, a great tale of yellow journalism. She got abt $450K as a result)

skuthorp
06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
They are businesses purri, their chief responsibility by law is to their shareholders. In other words to make money by any legal means they can think of. Ethics, well maybe the journos have ethical constraints but their employers sure don't. And that applies equally to the majority of journos who work as spinners in PR. Their employers or their employers legal teams call the shots.

paul oman
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
we should put them in charge of our border security!

seanz
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
You'd be a at war with Canada by Tuesday and nobody would be able to get in or out of Mexico....