PDA

View Full Version : Tea party members - Come down from the mountain top

PatCassidy
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
and tell us what to do about this oil spill. There has to be a simple answer for this - just like there is for everything else.

htom
05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
How can this even be a problem? All work was done under government license, inspection, approval, and supervision. Ask them! ;)

paul oman
05-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Gov inspectors not doing their job - letting things slide for $$ and less work.
Just wait until these same gov inspectors oversee your prostate exam under ObamaCare.

Notice that no gov inspector/officials are getting fired over this. Heck, just an oil rig (and/or a prostate gland). And if you don't like it, Bill Clinton can get you a White House job (oops, non-paying advisor position).

Keith Wilson
05-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Just wait until these same gov inspectors oversee your prostate exam under ObamaCare. You sure don't know much about the legislation that passed Congress, do you?

So what should we do about offshore drilling safety? Less government? Who should be in charge of it then?

Canoeyawl
05-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Gov inspectors not doing their job - letting things slide for $$ and less work.
Just wait until these same gov inspectors oversee your prostate exam under ObamaCare.

Notice that no gov inspector/officials are getting fired over this. Heck, just an oil rig (and/or a prostate gland). And if you don't like it, Bill Clinton can get you a White House job (oops, non-paying advisor position).

US fires head of agency that oversees oil drilling (http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0527/breaking-fires-head-minerals-management-agency/)

John Smith
05-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Problem is humans. One can fault the government for not doing its job inspecting, insuring all requirements are met, and one would have a legitimate complaint.

People get apathetic. Let's not forget the "o" ring that NASA knew would probably fail.

One can also make a strong complaint about insufficientg equipment available to contain the oil.

But, let's take note, also, of those states who want LESS federal government, turn to the feds for help.

There are two separate issues here. Plugging the hole, and containing/cleaning.

If the government had been doing its job properly (under several administrations) one can argue this accident would not have happened. Once it did, BP is probably as able to plug the hole as anyone, and I'm not sure, exactly, what people think the government should do.

On the other hand, I think more urgency could have been exhibited for containment, although, again, who owns the needed equipment?

I would love to see these questions asked of the Tea Party folks.

Captain Blight
05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
We could "teabag" the well with teabaggers to clog it.
Picture this- A submarine with a huge cargo net full of tea partiers hanging from one end moves in above the well and slowly moves into position and lowers the bag into the hole.

Doug

Well, that's not very nice Doug.

Landrith
05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
The government no doubt played its usual role, interfering with the private well operator's normal tried and true responses in the initial aftermath. I am confident we will discover burning was delayed by environmental policy lobbyists. Later we will discover they secretly interfered with the normal responses and decided we needed to sacrifice the environment to save the environment from all drilling...I am confident it will turn out to be the usual opposite of humanism nature government has, "letting no good crisis go to waste."

Captain Blight
05-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Notice that no gov inspector/officials are getting fired over this.
Head of Mining and Minerals "resigned" last week. Do your homework, Dumas.

Captain Blight
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, they seem to think they are the solution so let them be the solution.

DougHonestly, I'd rather just give them all bicycles and a $1500 tax credit if they rode them to work three days a week. That way they can actually be part of the solution instead of complaining about Mr. Obama. Maybe they can start not being quite so fat and florid after a few months of this, too; and wouldn't that be nice for everybody?

oznabrag
05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
The government no doubt played its usual role, interfering with the private well operator's normal tried and true responses in the initial aftermath. I am confident we will discover burning was delayed by environmental policy lobbyists. Later we will discover they secretly interfered with the normal responses and decided we needed to sacrifice the environment to save the environment from all drilling...I am confident it will turn out to be the usual opposite of humanism nature government has, "letting no good crisis go to waste."

Apparently, it was BP (aka Big Oil) that played its normal role, and tried to save a few bucks by over-riding the tool pusher's recommendations for shutting down the drilling operation.

Combined with BP's saving a few bucks on an acoustic BOP actuator, their greed has ruined the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of human generations.

This can be laid squarely at the feet of BP, and none of your weaseling can change that.

seafox
05-30-2010, 02:05 PM
wonder why they don't drop a kertin around the well let the oil flow to the surface and pump it off? by now a steel ring should have been able to be fabracated and bolted together , each section at almost positive boyancey at 400,000 dollers a day the oil saved should have paid for this not to mention the ending of future costs I wonder what the cost of the structure a mile high would have been?

donald branscom
05-30-2010, 02:12 PM
wonder why they don't drop a kertin around the well let the oil flow to the surface and pump it off? by now a steel ring should have been able to be fabracated and bolted together , each section at almost positive boyancey at 400,000 dollers a day the oil saved should have paid for this not to mention the ending of future costs I wonder what the cost of the structure a mile high would have been?

I like this idea. Ships could just suck up oil inside the "ring".
But the sections would have to be thicker t the bottom to support the weight.

It would be a tube a mile long standing on end.
It would need cables anchored on the se floor to keep it from falling over.
Quite an engineering project but it might work.
Needs to have the numbers crunched.

What about a tube 6 feet in diameter?
Not sure but when I see the rover next to the broken pipe, it may have to be 12 feet in diameter.

donald branscom
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM

I like this idea. Ships could just suck up oil inside the "ring".
But the sections would have to be thicker on the bottom part to support the weight.

It would be a tube a mile long standing on end.
It would need cables anchored on the se floor to keep it from falling over.
Quite an engineering project but it might work.
Needs to have the numbers crunched.

What about a tube 6 feet in diameter?
Not sure but when I see the rover next to the broken pipe, it may have to be 12 feet in diameter.

Makes me wonder how far the well is from the shore. Would it be better to lay the pipe horizontally on the bottom instead going to shore on near the shore to a pumping station?