PDA

View Full Version : it looks like N Korea thinks Obama is not gonna keep his promise

Phillip Allen
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
as long as the US is tied up in the middle east Korea may as well take advantage of it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100525/ap_on_re_as/as_skorea_ship_sinks

pefjr
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
as long as the US is tied up in the middle east Korea may as well take advantage of it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100525/ap_on_re_as/as_skorea_ship_sinks

What promise?

TimH
05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Wow...thats real dumb.

Captain Blight
05-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Okay, Woody, how do we get the manpower for the Big Wood Policy? And how do we pay for it? Isn't intervention into the affairs of state of a sovereign nation inimical to the central tenets of a true laissez-faire doctrine?

TimH
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Wasnt it Big Woody that proclaimed after this oil spill fiasco became big that this is "proof that we should be investing heavily in nuclear power"

WX
05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Big Woody, you start a shooting war with North Korea and you better be ready with the body bags because you're going to need them.

Gerarddm
05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Anybody contemplating a war on the Korean peninsula had better read T.S. Ferenbach's classic This Kind Of War.

NK won't stop until China gives 'em a dope slap, which is unlikely. <sigh> The Chinese can talk all they want about r-e-s-p-e-c-t, but they won't get it by continually being obdurate internationally.

leikec
05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I didn't say I had a plan worked out, but a UN resolution or US ultimatum and then a cruise missile into Kim's home after he violates it, might be a start.

How would you handle it? More of the same?

Is an uneasy peace better than all-out war? I think I will vote for more of the same.

Now is not the time to apply the Bush Doctrine to North Korea.

Jeff C

WX
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
They said the same or worse about Iraq. It was going to be the mother of all battles. Saddam's army was supposed to be much more powerful, and we knew they were going to use their WMD. But a few thousand died and millions have been liberated. I say(live free or die) it was well worth it. It is always unfortunate for those who die to bring freedom, but blood is the usual price for it. They'll all die eventually, but now most of them will die as free men not slaves.

I'd suggest fighting North Korea's commie leaders entirely from the sky. There would be a lot less blood shed on our side. We don't need to "fill the void" they can do it themselves, and if it is not an improvement, lather, rinse, repeat.
No war has ever been won from the sky. Also fighting the Iraqis should not be used as a benchmark for fighting the NK. If you think it will be a walk in the park then I would seriously think again. Have you read anything about the Korean War?

Phillip Allen
05-25-2010, 06:58 PM
No war has ever been won from the sky. Also fighting the Iraqis should not be used as a benchmark for fighting the NK. If you think it will be a walk in the park then I would seriously think again. Have you read anything about the Korean War?

I agree...it would be a night mare

TimH
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Bah...drop a couple bombs and they will all surrender.

Dave Gray
05-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Isn't that what MacArthur wanted to do and got fired for it?

North Korea isn't Iraq. The DMZ is one of the most heavily fortified areas in the world and from what I understand from a brother, who flew recon along it (admittedly a while ago), is always being tested by NK. Iraq's military was decimated in the years before the war by the no fly zone enforcement and was softened up in the months preceding the invasion Completely different terrain too.

stevebaby
05-25-2010, 07:22 PM
The WMDs that have never been found?
A few thousand deaths? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

Dying as a free man (or woman, or child) or slave is irrelevant to the victims...dead is dead...forever. Any talk of "liberation" is utter nonsense. The invasion created a civil war with no end in sight which the US is powerless to stop and, like Afghanistan, the population is now subject to competing warlords.
I doubt very much that the Chinese would allow the presence of US troops that close to their borders. You may recall...this has been tried before and it failed then and it will fail again. Any talk of "winning from the air" is absurd...if it were possible,why wasn't this tried in Afghanistan or Iraq? At some point, ground troops have to occupy territory.
Given the track record of the US,they should STFU and stay out of places that do not concern them and which pose no threat to them. China is best placed to deal with North Korea and when Kim Jong-Il dies the Chinese undoubtedly will.

There have been some bull goose loony posts in the Bilge, and yours is right up there with the best of them. :D

leikec
05-25-2010, 07:25 PM
4400 American deaths in Iraq to date.

32,000 American wounded (this is considered to be a conservative estimate), and over a hundred thousand Iraqi deaths and untold numbers of Iraqi wounded....

Please, let's get the numbers straight when we talk about wars of liberation.

Now imagine the numbers adding in a hypothetical reawakening of the Korean war.

Jeff C

Dave Gray
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I applaud you for your thinking! It is neo-something or other. It was exactly this policy that was executed in Santo Domingo, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and other republics for so many years. Oh wait, NK has a tin pot dictator of a different stripe.

WX
05-25-2010, 08:04 PM
How'd the US invasion of the Japanese homeland go? Oh that's right! The US won the war against Japan from the air, and didn't need to invade.
So none of the battles from 1942 right up to August 1945 had nothing to do with defeating the Japanese?
Your view of history is selective to say the least.

Dave Gray
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Arm chair warrior
thinks war is a video game.
Pac-man anyone?

stevebaby
05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Apparently some ground pounders don't know the history of aerial warfare.

How'd the US invasion of the Japanese homeland go? Oh that's right! The US won the war against Japan from the air, and didn't need to invade.
The Japs taught us a lesson about airpower earlier at Pearl Harbor.
Since the emergence of modern aerial warfare, it has been largely responsible for deciding most wars.
And an assassination / coup d' etat, can be easily done from the air.
like I said before:How did that "winning the war from the air" work out in New Guinea,Borneo,the Phillippines,Malaya,Indonesia,Timor,China,Burma,In dochina,Hong Kong,the Solomons and Formosa?
And how did "air power" work out for the Japanese?
Did "air power" manage to apprehend either Osama bin laden or Saddam Hussein? Why weren't they assassinated from the air,saving hundreds of thousands of civilian lives?
Because it's nonsense,that's why.

ccmanuals
05-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Apparently some ground pounders don't know the history of aerial warfare.

The Japs taught us a lesson about airpower earlier at Pearl Harbor.
Since the emergence of modern aerial warfare, it has been largely responsible for deciding most wars.
And an assassination / coup d' etat, can be easily done from the air.
like I said before:

classic neocon thinking.

Dave Gray
05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Does dear leader not have an heir? This sounds like a very plausible explanation, or it could be the typical brinkmanship/appeasement model we have had with North Korea for a long time.

edited to add - or perhaps some submarine captain really thought he could get away with it....

leikec
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote - "They sank a South Korean vessel with a North Korean torpedo, with loss of life of 40+ sailors. Sounds like the DPRK has voted for not more of the same."

They are doing the same thing they've done time and time again in the past; take a poke at the South Koreans and hope for an intemperate response from South Korea or the U.S.--and apparently some on this forum would be silly enough to give them what they want.

Jeff C

WX
05-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Why trust the most benevolent self sacrificing world power ever
That gave us the Iraq War...maybe you'd like to remind us just why that conflict was started?
While you are at you could enlighten us as to why the new way of fighting war is not being employed there?

purri
05-25-2010, 08:49 PM
IFAIK Seoul is abt 50km from the DMZ. Not a good scenario if it blows up.

WX
05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
IFAIK Seoul is abt 50km from the DMZ. Not a good scenario if it blows up.

Seoul is within artillery range of NK.
The Korean War was an extremely brutal period of history. My uncle served there and told me some incredible things he saw. He watched a refugee train crossing a bridge one time absolutely covered in people. The bridge was constructed from steel lattice girders and as the train pass under them the people on top of the train carriages were wiped off...such was the terror of the time.

PeterSibley
05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Ah yes! Their Exemplary record on human rights puts the land that brought freedom to the world to shame.:D Why trust the most benevolent self sacrificing world power ever when you can trust hard-line totalitarian Marxists?

Because bigwood , they are the only ones that have the slightest chance of influencing NK .:rolleyes:I don't often call people stupid sir , but you qualify .

PeterSibley
05-25-2010, 09:34 PM
A good preemptive strike against a country with nuclearweapons ,with the capital of South Korea , 50 miles from the border ?????
Woody , would you be so keen to shed other men's blood if your nation's capital was within 50 mile of the NK border ?

WX
05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Saddam and his forces were threatening US and neighboring interests with WMD's, funding terrorism, violating the UN authorized No Fly Zone, and had a history of invading his neighbors and torturing and killing his own people including through the use of poison gas.
Let's break this down a bit.
WMDs which he didn't have.
Funding terrorist groups, certainly not Al Quaeda, he hated them.
Invading his neighbours, okay he went to war with Iran with US backing. The US even supplied him with the bombs and the intel on where to drop them. Kuwait, he actually sounded out the US before he went in. So there's more to that one than meets the eye.
Torturing and poisoning his own people. This also is not so simple, Iraq's borders were drawn by a bored British public servant dragging a stick in the ground. So keep in mind you are the one quoting Sherman.

The reason why the new way of fighting war has not been used by the US recently as it was on the Japanese mainland,
The only reason the US did not go in on the ground in Japan is after two atomic bombs the Japs capitulated. The US calculated one Million casualties if the main land was invaded.

is primarily because the US is self sacrificing enough to send our own to die rather than be seen as fighting a relatively defenseless enemy with regard to the form of combat we engage in.
That is unmitigated drivel.

Keith Wilson
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Y'know guys - before you go starting a war with North Korea, you might want to ask the South Koreans? Seoul is 20 miles from the North Korean border, and has a population of over 10 million. You can rattle your saber and thump your chest all you want, but your wife and kids aren't within artillery range.

And you're 20 years behind the times. The Chinese are no longer anything like "hard-line totalitarian Marxists", and they're not much happier with the Dear Leader than you are. OTOH, they're right next door, and the prospect of tens or hundreds of thousands of refugees coming across the border if things go south doesn't appeal. North Korea has a truly awful government, and the only way they can get any popular support at all is against an external enemy - hence provocations, A manufactured foreign-relations crisis might buy them a little time if Kim is dying. Blundering use of force is the last thing we need right now.
Saddam and his forces were threatening US and neighboring interests with WMD's,Oh my God, there's somebody who still believes this! I was taken in too in 2003, but at least I realize that now. Saddam Hussein was a threat to nobody except the unfortunate citizens of his own country, and the claim of WMDs was either a mistake or a damned lie - and it's hard to tell which is worse.

http://www.worldmapnow.com/images/2009/11/south-korea-map.gif

WX
05-25-2010, 10:34 PM
When we were the only nation with Nukes, we used them to end a war and save a million casualties as you said. We did not use them for empire building or to blow up past rivals.
You can call the benevolence of the US unmitigated drivel,
You may call it many things but benevolence is not one that comes to mind...strategic control of resources comes to mind though.
btw I have it on good authority that if Saddam had used chemical weapons against US forces the US would have used battlefield nuclear weapons in Iraq.
Your patriotism is commendable if somewhat misguided.

Keith Wilson
05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
We pay these people to figure out which threats are real and which aren't. A competent government does NOT spend hundreds of billions of dollars (700+ billion to date) and thousands of lives invading a country that is not a real threat.

PeterSibley
05-25-2010, 10:49 PM
The big difference Woody ....guess ??

North Korea doesn't have oil .Iraq does . Simple , really very simple .

PeterSibley
05-25-2010, 10:50 PM
And I'd have paid good money to press the launch button, and couldn't wait to watch it on YouTube.

Because fighting evil is a necessary part of being truly good.

Some folks take the wrong lesson away from events.

I guess it's been a long time since war was waged on the US mainland eh ?:rolleyes:

Keith Wilson
05-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I guess it's been a long time since war was waged on the US mainland eh ?145 years.

WX
05-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Because fighting evil is a necessary part of being truly good.
I am sooo glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when i read that little gem.

Trust me, I'm as upset with the intelligence failure as anybody.

Open the pod bay door HAL.

WX
05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
It must suck to just be part of an impotent critic nation that sits on the sidelines of the world's happening history and heckles those engaged in the battles of our day.
Now you are just being ignorant.

pefjr
05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Maybe we should bring the "funny lady that is by no means intelligent" home and send Slick Willie over. Those NKoreans like Bill, and maybe he can strike a deal: food for no more sinking ships.

BTW, anyone know what promise Obama made?

WX
05-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Oops. I erred. I mistook Peter for a Kiwi. I was also debating Stevebaby and SeaNZ on another thread. Sorry Aussies.

Big Woody I don't know you or your history but I take it you have never served at the sharp end otherwise you would not be talking so lightly about going to war. I have not served and given the amount of reading I have done on the subject, have no desire what so ever to ever be involved in a war. War is what happens when all else fails. In regards to North and South Korea, if the NK sink a SK destroyer when the SK will wear it because the alternative is a decent into hell.
As for New Zealand, they have a fine military history and given the size of their population made a contribution in 2 world wars above and beyond their numbers. In a war I would want them on my side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_New_Zealand

Captain Blight
05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
The trick isn't to die for your country. The trick is to get Big Woody to die for his country.

Captain Blight
05-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Peter doesn't need to "imply" anything. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can look at the history of our foreign policy post-WWII and see that the USA murders and dies for oil. Heck, I'll just come out and say that I agree.

paladin
05-26-2010, 12:41 AM
They did it in Vietnam, they did it in the Philippines and they will do it anywhere they think they can get away with it.

PeterSibley
05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
The trick isn't to die for your country. The trick is to get Big Woody to die for his country.

Now there's a policy diection !:D

Milo Christensen
05-26-2010, 04:53 AM
You are all a bunch of dupes of the warmongering capitalist imperialists and their clique. . . .

Would that be the liberal clique, known here as Democrats, or the conservative clique, known here as Republicans, or the military-industrial clique that actually rules here?

Phillip Allen
05-26-2010, 05:36 AM
good morning Andrew...looks like some squalls in the bilg this morning...

SMARTINSEN
05-26-2010, 05:42 AM
http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm

(Those who know Japan will know why the North Korean Government website is hosted there.)

Could you elucidate?
====

It is a pretty comical website, at least from our perspective. It is a very sad comment on the human condition that so easily buy into propaganda.

Robbie 2
05-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Big Woody I don't know you or your history but I take it you have never served at the sharp end otherwise you would not be talking so lightly about going to war. I have not served and given the amount of reading I have done on the subject, have no desire what so ever to ever be involved in a war. War is what happens when all else fails. In regards to North and South Korea, if the NK sink a SK destroyer when the SK will wear it because the alternative is a decent into hell.
As for New Zealand, they have a fine military history and given the size of their population made a contribution in 2 world wars above and beyond their numbers. In a war I would want them on my side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_New_Zealand

Thank you sir.

PeterSibley
05-26-2010, 05:45 AM
I constantly engage in self criticism ,but perhaps not to the Maoist level .

Larry P.
05-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Andrew from your experience in that part of the world how much influence does China still have over North Korea?

Phillip Allen
05-26-2010, 06:42 AM
gad...sounds like a post from the bilge

Larry P.
05-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks Andrew. The more things change the more they remain the same, the DPRK is still the wild card.

For connoisseurs of vintage Marxist-Leninist rhetoric

I read that yesterday, it made me nostalgic for my youth during the 70's and 80' almost.

skuthorp
05-26-2010, 06:48 AM
ACB, if it wasn't so serious you'd laugh. They are beyond satire, beyond parody, if it was a comedy script it'd be regarded as brilliant. Unfortunately no comedy here.

Larry P.
05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
They need to add a line praising the peace loving people of the North and their brave struggle against Western imperialism.

LeeG
05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
They said the same or worse about Iraq. It was going to be the mother of all battles. Saddam's army was supposed to be much more powerful, and we knew they were going to use their WMD. But a few thousand died and millions have been liberated.

sh8t for brains. Millions are refugees

LeeG
05-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Woody , would you be so keen to shed other men's blood if your nation's capital was within 50 mile of the NK border ?

is he not brave?

Larry P.
05-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Andrew I'm afraid I agree with you. The political and military situation is scary to say the least. The problem is what to do about it. I fear there is very little proactive actions that can be taken. Right now anything overt would make it worse.

skuthorp
05-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I too think that NK has backed itself into a corner and may feel that they have no choice to save face. If they do will China step in? They don't want a war, let alone a nuke one however small, on their borders. How many US troops there and where? And is it still a UN operation?
Daughter of a good friend is married to a Korean living here, he is very nervous re his family as they live between Seoul and the border.

PeterSibley
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm all in favour of massive bribes , always cheaper than war ....in so many ways .

LeeG
05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm all in favour of massive bribes , always cheaper than war ....in so many ways .

I read somewhere that the military operations in Afghanistan are 10X the GNP.

skuthorp
05-26-2010, 07:44 AM
So, no cash left for bribes? You could borrow................... Oh yeah, China again.

sdowney717
05-26-2010, 07:48 AM
N Korean labor camps

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2009/06/200968632442604.html

what is going on with the 2 US journalists?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534822,00.html
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/06/hard-labor-in-north-korea.php

SMARTINSEN
05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
How many US troops there and where?

28,500 U.S. Troops in S.K. according to the U.S. Department of State.
(http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2800.htm) The link also gives info about their geographical location within the country, along with other general info.

skuthorp
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Too much info freely available shoul everything go pear shaped. I imagine there'll be some urgent activity in play at present.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-26-2010, 09:11 AM
If I am reading this right, North Korea has no plans to invade the South. They are hardly able to do that, and, if they did, they would come up against the US "tripwire" units and then the US would be committed to war against them.

The North's big idea is to provoke the South into military action against the North. That would unite their population (maybe) in a "patriotic war" and would allow them to call on China for assistance. Hence the torpedo attack and now the sulky breaking off of contact.

The USA and China, having better things to do than to be manipulated into a war by the world's only hereditary Communist leader, are taking care to ensure that this does not happen.

Phillip Allen
05-26-2010, 09:12 AM
North Korea is a fortress and it's full of human shields

as a matter of fact...China has used it as a shield for decades

Phillip Allen
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
simple...don't invade us or we'll see to it that many of our own people will be killed

China's use os more conventional

Osborne Russell
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
The USA and China, having better things to do than to be manipulated into a war by the world's only hereditary Communist leader, are taking care to ensure that this does not happen.

Yeah. Torpedoing a ship is an act of war, but that doesn't mean you have to start one. If a mosquito lands on your forehead, don't grab the hammer.

OTOH the US is pledged to defend South Korea. If they ask, we have to go.

sdowney717
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
The Chinese dont like N Korea today.
maybe the only friend of N Korea is Iran.
N Korea is isolated and I wonder how the nuclear bomb program is moving along. That country is the one I think would actually use it today in a first strike against Seoul.

TimH
05-26-2010, 11:49 AM
N Korea is isolated and I wonder how the nuclear bomb program is moving along. That country is the one I think would actually use it today in a first strike against Seoul.

Would you use nukes on a city 30 miles from your border?

Milo Christensen
05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
. . . the US is pledged to defend South Korea. If they ask, we have to go.

Ummm, what would we go with? The 26,000 troops we have stationed there?

Captain Blight
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
More like 40K, Milo. It's the entire 8th US Army plus whatever USAF assets are there, I don;t know how many planes we have but its a lot. In 168 hours we could dump probably a quarter-million troops into theater (drawing from Japan and Fort Wainright in Alaska, plus of course 9th ID from Hood, and whatever MEU is ready to go), and I don't reckon many want to try to stand up to a quarter-million US military men. Plus, the ROK has an awful lot of really crack troops, and in the 60 years since the end of the war have turned the northeast corner of the peninsula at least (Maybe more, I didn't get around much) into one giant booby-trap. PRNK would shed blood for every inch of ground.

pefjr
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I hope our military will not make the mistake and fight this with soldiers. Technology is a lot different today. There are better ways to make war. I don't think NKorea will do any better than Iraq did.

It would be interesting to see the plans for destroying the NKorean Submarine Base. I would think that is the first little step.

Milo Christensen
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
More like 40K, Milo. It's the entire 8th US Army plus whatever USAF assets are there, I don;t know how many planes we have but its a lot. In 168 hours we could dump probably a quarter-million troops into theater . . .

You, sir, are an optimist.

John of Phoenix
05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
I used to fly armed patrols along the DMZ. Porkchop Hill is there and just to the south are the ruins of a city of several hundred thousand people, Cheorwon. It was a major city in N Korea before the war and was literally leveled. The place could have been another Heroshima the way it looks. Very erie, that place. In no small twist of irony one of the only surviving buildings is the Korean Worker's Party headquarters. That and a water tower full of shell holes with a 1st Cavalry Division patch painted on it.

Commies and the Cav - rivals to eternity.

http://www.buhaykorea.com/wp-content/gallery/cheorwon/026.JPG

This Methodist church was built by an American in the 30's.

http://dicimg.naver.com/100/400/76/663576.jpg

This is what's left.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/3529805962_24d0397312.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/3529807606_fa34feb6c3.jpg

The ruins are a tourist destination these days.

Very erie. I still get goose bumps thinking of that place.

gary porter
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM

A couple of well placed 500s down the right chimneys will make a big difference.
Remember how much a pain Kadafi was.. Now he wants to be Mr. nice guy.
Of course no war with N. Korea or anyone else would be a good thing. Still, it may well come to that.
Gary

sdowney717
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Would you use nukes on a city 30 miles from your border?

To begin with, the guy is not all together right in the head, look how he starves and treats his own people.

If he is terminal, maybe he wants to go out with a bang and take as many as he can with him.

sdowney717
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

On October 9, 2006, the North Korean government issued an announcement that it had successfully conducted a nuclear test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_North_Korean_nuclear_test) for the first time. Both the United States Geological Survey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Geological_Survey) and Japanese seismological authorities detected an earthquake with a preliminary estimated magnitude of 4.2 in North Korea, corroborating some aspects of the North Korean claims.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#cite_n ote-USGS_Recent_Earth_Quakes-1)
In April 2009, reports surfaced that North Korea has become a "fully fledged nuclear power", an opinion shared by IAEA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Energy_Agency) Director General Mohamed ElBaradei (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_ElBaradei).[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#cite_n ote-2) On May 25, 2009, North Korea conducted another nuclear test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_North_Korean_nuclear_test), which is believed to have been the cause of a magnitude 4.7 seismic event.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#cite_n ote-3) Although there is no official information about the testís location it is believed that it happened in the north-eastern region near Kilju, the site of North Korea's first nuclear test.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#cite_n ote-4)

gary porter
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
To begin with, the guy is not all together right in the head, look how he starves and treats his own people.

If he is terminal, maybe he wants to go out with a bang and take as many as he can with him.

The best example we could set is to take out the leader of such a country who has nuclear weapons without nuclear weapons. We have the technology such that we don't really need them. Precision is the trick. It should actually be S. Korea's call.
Gary

PeterSibley
05-28-2010, 06:22 AM
The Chinese dont like N Korea today.
maybe the only friend of N Korea is Iran.
Well they do have a nuclear weapon and a medium range rocket .They unpredicable and have made a career out of just that .Whether or not they are suicidal as well remains to be seen .

The Chinese would like them to disappear from the face of the earth ,as would most other countries .....but that's not about to happen .The best we can hope for is a continuation of the current "peace" .

PeterSibley
05-28-2010, 06:33 AM
A ready flow of refugees , just waiting ?

sdowney717
05-29-2010, 06:55 AM
time for regime change
IMO, all nations in the area are interested in permanently changing this situation. China just today said it would not support the North and would like to see the nation punished for sinking the ship if proven they did this.