PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thought about semi-retiring overseas?

PatCassidy
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
With the internet everywhere, one is never far from family. Healthcare can be a little dicey.

I don't read newspapers any more. And the news I watch on television is not really news. The internet takes care of those needs too.

I've been thinking about places like Croatia or Italy in the summer. I've done cheap seasonal rentals in the Caribbean. That was great fun.

jevvv
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Yep,

but I am overseas

;)

john welsford
05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Yep,

but I am overseas

;)

And while healthcare is not perfect, its pretty good if you've got something serious.

A thought about "overseas" . To a Roman, all roads lead "away" from Rome.
For us, The USA, is "Overseas"

John Welsford

Kaa
05-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Lots of people retire overseas.

Semi-retire is a bigger problem :-)

Kaa

paladin
05-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Been there...and liked it....lived most all my life "overseas". It requires a different attitude than what you would have in the U.S. or most folks would have in their host country. When you are "from away" you have to remember that you are the visitor and have to adapt to local customs, not the other way around. Good medical care is available...it's similar to the U.S. in that some locals cannot afford the health care in their own countries.
You can get dialysis for 20% of the U.S. cost in Thailand or Vietnam, a little more if you want clean bandages every visit, the iron booster injections etc, and a new needle each time.....if you want American foods then you will pay American prices.......

Horace
05-24-2010, 04:13 PM
New Zealand is a long way to go "wetback." ;)

What does your immigration system require of applicants coming for long-term retirement or working semi-retirement?

jevvv
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
The hardest part for some is letting go of the "I have to live like I do at home" mentality... if you want to live like you do at home then live at home and stop griping at/about the locals [insert overseas location]

;)

andrewe
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Probably a question aimed at US dwellers. I know a few that pass some of the year here, even a few boat builders..
Personally, as a brit, I lived in Iberia for ages. Now here, but due to the current mess, retirement is not on the horizon.
A
As usual missed a few post while pecking.

jevvv
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
New Zealand is a long way to go "wetback." ;)

What does your immigration system require of applicants coming for long-term retirement or working semi-retirement?

"wetback"??? isn't that a kind of water heating system on my fireplace?

You'd need plenty of money in an account somewhere, good skills that they want here and probably some things on a list that the government wants all potential immigrants to possess

Unless you are from a Pacific Nation that we are trying to "help"

;)

PatCassidy
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
To me, overseas is sort of an abstact: it is anywhere far removed from home. It's new experience filled with new faces, new architecture and new points of view.

Technically, I can drive to the other end of the earth, and by not counting a bridge or two, not literally be overseas. Same with places like Kentucky!

Overseas is a state of mind

andrewe
05-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Pat, you might find that Terra del Fuego is bit different, even if not 'overseas' (OK, there is a gap with no bridge right at the end);)
A

Or, you might be 'overseas' in Canada.

TimH
05-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Overview of the Skilled Migrant Category

Get a sense of the whole Skilled Migrant process, from start to finish. See the process laid out in a simple diagram (http://forum.woodenboat.com/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/apply/process/diagram.htm).

1. Requirements

To apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, you must meet our requirements. You need to be aged from 20-55 (inclusive). You also have to meet our standards of health, character, and English language proficiency before you start the process.

2. The Expression of Interest

This is the first step towards making an application. If you qualify, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI), in which you claim points for skills, experience, and other factors.

3. The EOI pool and the pool draw

If you have claimed 100 points or more on your EOI, it goes into the Pool. Every fortnight, all EOIs over 140 points are automatically selected for an invitation to apply. After this, lower scoring EOIs with certain factors, such as skilled employment in New Zealand, are selected.

4. Invitation to Apply

Once your EOI is drawn from the pool, we examine it and if we find it credible, we send you an Invitation to Apply (ITA). You will have to show proof of the claims made on your EOI. This means medical and police certificates, proof of English language ability, and documentation regarding your skills, experience, and other factors.

The application form contains the information that you provided in your EOI. You will check the information and return it to us with your documentation.

The date that you make your SMC residence application with Immigration New Zealand determines the policy that your application will be assessed against. Therefore, the policy that was current when you submitted your EOI, or current when your EOI was selected from the pool, is not necessarily the policy that your SMC residence application will be assessed against.

5. Full assessment

Once we receive your application and documents, we start assessing you for residence. We make sure that you meet all our requirements, and that your points claims are valid.

We will also assess you on your ability to settle in New Zealand successfully. We may consider you able based on your application, or we may wish to interview you.

6. Residence and Work to Residence visas and permits

If you meet our criteria, and we believe you will settle successfully and contribute to New Zealand, we will offer you a residence visa or permit.

If we think you have potential, but want to see how you settle, we will give you a work to residence visa or permit, which you can use to help obtain an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand for up to nine months. If you obtain skilled employment in this time you will have shown your ability to settle and contribute, and your residence application will be approved.

Please remember that an SMC Work to Residence visa or permit is an opportunity to seek skilled employment in New Zealand. It is not a guarantee of work, a job offer or of residence. Immigration New Zealand advises against the sale of assets, the termination of children’s schooling, and the shipping of household items to New Zealand until an applicant’s residence status is fully clarified.

Further information

Learn more about the Skilled Migrant Category (http://forum.woodenboat.com/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/questionsandanswers/default.htm).

See whether you meet our requirements (http://forum.woodenboat.com/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/caniapply/requirements/default.htm).

goodbasil
05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I expect to go over the Salish Sea when I retire. Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

jevvv
05-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the info TimH

Just a tweak on the links:
The diagramhttp://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/apply/process/diagram.htm

Learn more about Skilled Migrant Category http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/questionsandanswers/

Meet requirements http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/caniapply/requirements/

TimH
05-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the info TimH

Just in case you were thinking of moving there ;)

I would move there but they expect people to "meet our standards of health, character, and English language proficiency"

Sounds too much like Arizona.

jevvv
05-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Ooooo..... pick me, pick me

I wanna move to New Zealand!

<thinks>

Hmmmmm, where am I

<blushes>

wizbang 13
05-24-2010, 07:44 PM
18 years in the Windward Islands. Last 4 have been "snowbirding" 6months there ,6 months here. (Pac Northwest)Costs about the same to store my boat for 6 months on the hard in the Caribbean as a slip in the Seattle area for a year.Caribbean can still be cheap.

paladin
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I spent a little time down the island chain, on the hook....didn't seem to deter the local bandits. I'm a light sleeper, pup was even lighter and anything that wakes her up is definitely gonna to make me up.....best police backup available...really hard wooden ball bat...if you get blood onnitt, it's easy to wash.

TimH
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Crime is probably a lot less in NZ. And you are just a stones throw from the REAL islands :)

jk ;)

Gerarddm
05-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Have given it some thought. Don't qualify for New Zealand, alas, which I gave extensive thought to during the Bush years....

I adore my auld country, Italy, but it's always craziness there. I dunno - Belize? Costa Rica?

jevvv
05-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Gerard- care to share why you don't qualify here? Just wondering.

jevvv
05-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Crime is probably a lot less in NZ. And you are just a stones throw from the REAL islands :)

jk ;)

True, true...

... if by real you mean people living in third world conditions being more normal, summer temps all year round etc ;)

ChaseKenyon
05-25-2010, 01:52 AM
hate to say this but NZ sounds as conformist as feudal Japan.

I could help their economy and their technology more than they could imagine. but their stated policies still sound like feudal or even worse imperialistic Japan.

Suck my pistacios.!

And I really would have liked it there as far as the environment is concerned. NOw I understand why I have met so many Kiwis who have brought their ski area talents here to the states. What an oppresive society. like the sayhing from feudal Japan, The nail that stands proud gets hammered down.

It is an indication of a societal sickness of conformity that is equivalent to trying to live on rotten vegetables. ala French revolution.To me it is one of the most beautiful places on earth, now with a sick society.

If I have offended anyone I apologize, but I am only responding to what has been posted on this thread.

stevebaby
05-25-2010, 02:31 AM
I think you'll find that Kiwi (and Aussie) ski instructors and skiers head for the States and its ski-fields is because when it's winter in the Northern hemisphere...it's Summer in the Southern Hemisphere. Many Downunder ski bums head for Europe for the same reason...continuity of work/snow. when the southern hemisphere ski season starts,they return.
I doubt very much that anyone who has visited New Zealand would describe them as either conformist or oppressive. They have one of the most culturally diverse societies in the world, very much more so than the USA. They are also great travellers and so have a pretty good knowledge of the world,again, much more so than most Americans.
Why do you believe that they are "oppressive' or "conformist"?

ChaseKenyon
05-25-2010, 02:38 AM
All the many Kiwis who came here for ski and snowboard work stayed and never went back to NZ In 42 years of professional snow sports teaching and coaching I have known many KIwis. None have ever gone back from the USA or CAnada to NZ.

That is just my personal experience. It is limited to Kiwis involved in snowsports. but there has never been one single exception. ?

ChaseKenyon
05-25-2010, 02:44 AM
PS Steve I really want to visit OZ and ski NZ and OZ.

I can only hope that I can devise a robotic aid to support my spine. Then it is possible.

I have three different concepts all of which should work to a viable degree. But getting anyone to listen even with all my past robotics success and my sons current robotic success is like trying to push sand up a sand dune with a turkey feather.

What to do?

mmd
05-25-2010, 09:18 AM
The mantra I learned while living in the southern Caribbean was:

"Mon, you gots to stop t'inking like a Nort' American..."

They were right - I got along much better with both my staff and my neighbours when I took their advice. Fortunately I was able to adapt pretty quickly. I watched others struggle for the entire time I was there (two years) and not make the transition. No offense intended, folks, but the Americans were the most stubborn about clinging to "home" attitudes and habits.

TimH
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
True, true...

summer temps all year round etc ;)

Thats what Im talking about!

If I found a job down there I could stop and work for a while on my cruise. Surely you can live aboard in NZ?

Look at this chart.

Starts with "submit your expression of interest" and after many a "Pay a fee" you end up at the bottom with "Your application is declined"

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/7DEADB72-726E-4F1D-B82C-327F12DBA0F2/0/EOIprocess.gif

Landrith
05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I hear that other island in that other ocean-Iceland is considering opening up economic citizenship and guaranteeing freedom of speech.

Garret
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
The mantra I learned while living in the southern Caribbean was:

"Mon, you gots to stop t'inking like a Nort' American..."

They were right - I got along much better with both my staff and my neighbours when I took their advice. Fortunately I was able to adapt pretty quickly. I watched others struggle for the entire time I was there (two years) and not make the transition. No offense intended, folks, but the Americans were the most stubborn about clinging to "home" attitudes and habits.

I worked in St. Marten for a while & boy did I see that!

jevvv
05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I hear that other island in that other ocean-Iceland is considering opening up economic citizenship and guaranteeing freedom of speech.

And if the volcanoes get going again it will be almost tropical ;)

WX
05-25-2010, 06:32 PM
hate to say this but NZ sounds as conformist as feudal Japan.

I could help their economy and their technology more than they could imagine. but their stated policies still sound like feudal or even worse imperialistic Japan.

You have got to be kidding.

stevebaby
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Thats what Im talking about!

If I found a job down there I could stop and work for a while on my cruise. Surely you can live aboard in NZ?

Look at this chart.

Starts with "submit your expression of interest" and after many a "Pay a fee" you end up at the bottom with "Your application is declined"

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/7DEADB72-726E-4F1D-B82C-327F12DBA0F2/0/EOIprocess.gif
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60a RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCR D&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=40a9b2149e7df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCR D&vgnextchannel=40a9b2149e7df110VgnVCM1000004718190a RCRD

The US system is sooooo much easier... :D

TimH
05-25-2010, 06:54 PM
NZ needs a policy like we have in America...

"Give us your poor, your criminals, your mentally deranged"

Or something like that.

Landrith
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
When can we see the Kiwi remake of Scarface?

jevvv
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
pass

I'll have the sports question please

Ted Hoppe
05-25-2010, 09:00 PM
I live in California. It is becoming a third world country by the day. The State government is corrupt, the national and secondary roads in total ruins, the healthcare system broken and the unemployment rate is already over 12 %. Its hard to communicate even with a common language. Where are you suggesting is different than this place.

John B
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
NZ is wet and miserable . Its probably better to stay away or go somewhere sunny like the PNW ( for example). The Islands, the real Islands , are 1200 miles away across a notoriously roughish piece of water and so is Sydney Orstrylia, the really big island.(Thats nm by sea from Auckland , the city of gridlock and townplanners from the school of bastards international)

and cold. Brrrr. frizzin.

I'm pining for the Fiords meself.
and Finland.

jevvv
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
NZ is wet and miserable . Its probably better to stay away or go somewhere sunny like the PNW ( for example). The Islands, the real Islands , are 1200 miles away across a notoriously roughish piece of water .....

LOL those are the islands I was referring to John B ;)

Certainly wishing for some of that island sunshine or at least warmth at the moment ... the rain is back again

TimH
05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Supposed to rain for 10 days straight here. Probably wont though.

PatrickXavier
05-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Jeez, Auckland must be awful. It explains this (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/3738195/Kiwis-tick-Wellington-as-top-winter-destination), then, down here on the Riviera of the South Pacific.

seanz
05-26-2010, 02:31 AM
When visiting the South Island it is recommended that you bring a mask and snorkel.....in case you want to go for a walk.

paladin
05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
I found South Island downright pleasant....especially around Dunedin....got to go deer hunting, almost every day....and when visiting Browns Bay get to argue endlessly about "that's not the way we do it here. We don't like epoxy and we think Polyester resin is better."

skuthorp
05-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Hmm, NZ or Tassy? Better skiing in NZ, better rainfall too. OTOH they have earthquakes................... but they have a heritage fleet. Tassy? family came from there, too many relo's. too closely related. Think I'll stay where I am.

John B
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Supposed to rain for 10 days straight here. Probably wont though.

Lucky beggar.

John B
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
When visiting the South Island it is recommended that you bring a mask and snorkel.....in case you want to go for a walk.

Only a snorkel? We all have personal compressors up North. Mounted on sticks to get them up high cos of the groundwater.
If you have a dog you have to stop every 5 paces and chuck it up in the air so it can breath. ( not many big dogs up here)

TimH
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Lucky beggar.

I just compared Aucklands 10 day forecast compared to ours. You are about 5 degrees warmer and much drier.

peter radclyffe
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
conformist , ? oppressive ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28ZREQe3_Q

John B
05-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I just compared Aucklands 10 day forecast compared to ours. You are about 5 degrees warmer and much drier.
Geez Tim.. don't go messing up a good story with facts .

Bic's a national treasure ,Peter.

Gerarddm
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Jevv, too old and not enough $$ saved up. My understanding is that if you are over 55 NZ says no thanks.

jevvv
05-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Ah - yes I hear ya... sorry about that!!!

Some of the issue is our subsidised health care - once you're over 55 they figure you're going to start costing Them more in healthcare :(

Like I said - if you hail from the more tropical South Pacific islands you'd probably be allowed in free ;)

jevvv
05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
I found South Island downright pleasant....especially around Dunedin....got to go deer hunting, almost every day....and when visiting Browns Bay get to argue endlessly about "that's not the way we do it here. We don't like epoxy and we think Polyester resin is better."

Yup - huntin's good away from the towns. Even this far north, as long as you get far enough into the sticks.

Browns Bay, North Shore, Auckland?
Atkinsons Boat Builders?

That's where Waimanu was built (hull and decks) for Dad.

We do have a tendancy to find alternatives when it comes to boat building technology (remembering the hooha over the plastic fantastic, and a certain North American's objections to it at the time)

purri
05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
apostrophe alert!

paladin
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi there Sweetie....
What ever happened to Atkinsons. I can find nothing about them in recent years.

jevvv
05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Hiya Chuck, yeah, I went on a rabbit trail trying to find them online this morning ;)

Not sure, but I think they closed.

Just checking the phone book now actually :)

jevvv
05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
:( Can't find them anywhere - must have shut up shop :(

jevvv
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Reference to Keith Atkinson's death in paragraph on Honey, a clinker dingy built partly under his tutelage in the 80's

"Honey" Owner: Brian Stonestreet, Length: 4.4m. Based on a 19th century model of rowing & sailing dinghy similar to American Whitehall type, Honey was built at the clinker boatbuilding night class at Carrington Tech between 1981 & 1983. Designer Keith Atkinson died during the construction and the course was then taught by John Peat. Traditional clinker construction in 5/16" NZ Kauri over temporary frames, laps fastened with copper nails riveted over roves. Ribs are Western Australian kauri, stem & transom in mahogany, keel, thwarts, floorboards, rudder & dagger board kauri. Stem bent in after planking finished. 14'6" x 4'8", Honey is rigged with cotton spritsail and jib (66 sq.ft & 16 sq.ft); oregon mast, sprit & boom. The dagger board was installed in 1994 improving windward ability & manouverability. Used as a family boat with wonderful days of sailing and motoring with 2 hp outboard. Currently a member of Mahurangi Cruising Club she has sailed with Ponsonby Cruising Club Vintage & Veteran regatta but mostly just messing around in boats.
Awarded "Best classic dinghy" 2003. "Best original Dinghy" 2004. Dinghy, Merit Award, 2005 Parade.
from woodenboatparade.co.nz (http://www.woodenboatparade.co.nz/post%201979.htm) about a third to half way down page