PDA

View Full Version : Dang Deer

ahp
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Within the last two weeks I have pulled two ticks off my bod. Now I am on antibiotics just to be on the safe side, even though the Doc says Lyme disease is not very common here. A few days ago, in the middle of the day, I went out the back door to the garage. There were two deer, just outside the garage. They ambled off.

Last night we came home late and there were three in the yard. There are a lot of brushy areas around here.

My wife has a garden plot down by the airport. The other gardiners have reported deer and deer damage to the gardens. There is a wire fence between the gardens and the runways, but not high enough. I anticipate a meeting between deer and an airplane.

We can't shoot them. There are too many people around. It seems we have an growing deer population. What to do?

Phillip Allen
05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Within the last two weeks I have pulled two ticks off my bod. Now I am on antibiotics just to be on the safe side, even though the Doc says Lyme disease is not very common here. A few days ago, in the middle of the day, I went out the back door to the garage. There were two deer, just outside the garage. They ambled off.

Last night we came home late and there were three in the yard. There are a lot of brushy areas around here.

My wife has a garden plot down by the airport. The other gardiners have reported deer and deer damage to the gardens. There is a wire fence between the gardens and the runways, but not high enough. I anticipate a meeting between deer and an airplane.

We can't shoot them. There are too many people around. It seems we have an growing deer population. What to do?

get some mountain lion "scent"

TomF
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
get some mountain lion "scent"I remember a newspaper story about a guy who got manure from the big cat area at the local zoo.

boylesboats
05-20-2010, 10:29 AM
here some homebrewed deer repellent (http://www.deer-departed.com/deer-repellent-recipes.html)

David W Pratt
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
A local college that hosts a lot of conferences and is out in the sticks has typed cards on the inside of the toilet stall doors that say " Now would be a good time to check yourself for ticks".

Mrleft8
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
The ticks that carry Lyme disease are very small. If you saw them to pick them off of you they probably weren't "Lyme ticks". They are literally the size of a pin prick.......Not a pin head.

SMARTINSEN
05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
The ticks that carry Lyme disease are very small. If you saw them to pick them off of you they probably weren't "Lyme ticks". They are literally the size of a pin prick.......Not a pin head.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:E3Vs7QXfu0XAAM:http://www.pestcontrolrx.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/02/deertick.jpg

Showing the relative size of a deer tick. Their bellies can be much fatter when they are gorged with blood.

We had consdierable experience with deer ticks when we were in CT. Here in MD, there are lots of Lone Star ticks, which are about the same size, but have a little white dot on their back. They, too, can carry Lyme disease.

My doctors have advised me that contracting Lyme disease is unlikely if the tick is promptly found and removed. Scrub up with anti-bacterial soap afterward. When you pull them, you have to be careful not to break off the head and have it remain buried in your skin.

The best tick picker that I have found is a little sliver of stainless steel with a very pointed v-groove cut into it You slip it under the tick and gently pry it away. The needle-nose pliers on a Leatherman work well, too.

Deet works well in repelling them, both away from you and your dog.

Breakaway
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, deer ticks (lyne disease ticks) are tiny. I have to check myself and my two lttle kids all the time. Like a small, faint freckle.

That said, if the deer are as thick in your area as you say, you might be able to convince your state DEC/DEP to allow a special hunt to cull the herd. Several municipalities around here have managed that. Basically, the town/city.village gets a special permit and holds a lottery for hunters to join a two or three day hunt with very relaxed limits. If the area is suburban, not rural, that can be a very good thing for both deer and people.

Kevin

paladin
05-20-2010, 12:38 PM
What is the range and how fast can you drag the body...er uh...carcass inside and dress it out?

boylesboats
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
What is the range and how fast can you drag the body...er uh...carcass inside and dress it out?

oh boy... that depend on how far will the deer go before droppin' after a kill shot.. I seen it done.. A deer ran about hundred yards without its heart.. Heart was completely destroyed by a single 30-06.. I was gonna save the heart.. but naaaa.. it was way beyond eat-able shape..

boylesboats
05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
See the "Punt Gun" thread:D

Doug

Yup....
ya remember the deer huntin' with a Howitzer thread ?

paladin
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
.30-06 go through the body and dunno got much initial shock on some critters....a .45 long Colt or even a .45ACP can be very quiet at 25 meters and knock the critter over......I've dropped a few with a 9mm.

boylesboats
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
.30-06 go through the body and dunno got much initial shock on some critters....a .45 long Colt or even a .45ACP can be very quiet at 25 meters and knock the critter over......I've dropped a few with a 9mm.

That's why I went 50 cal blackpowder.. less wasted meat, and almost instant knockdown.. and yet it is little quieter than shotgun..
If I can get aholt of 45 cal long rifle.. love the sound of Kentucky crack.. "KA-POOF"

boylesboats
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
The civil war field piece? Yeah, and the same guy "hunted" feral cats with a mortar. Hilarious!:D

Doug

Yup.. that the one :D
I think it is cool... Its all about timing, trajectory, and proper load..
It takes practice..

paladin
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Naw...I gots a little carbine...chambered for the 9mm.....does just fine....

Michael D. Storey
05-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I have yanked at tics on the dogs and on myself for years, and have never experienced this 'broken off head' thing.
That sed, last Spring Judith & I were in the Blackwater Preserve south of Cambridge MD, and unbeknownst to us, we were walking on top of the Secret Underground Tic Farm. (Her first visit to Maryland, I would add.) They were so thick on Judith's pants that they covered them, to the knee. Took 188 off of the big dog, 73 off of the little. Exposure was 20 minutes. Needed a 80 minute car ride to get back to where we could treat 'em.
That got the evening off to a roaring start. I was lookin for us in the bath tub, not two dogs.