PDA

View Full Version : Texas and textbooks

Dave Gray
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I really hope states start demanding their own ideas of what textbooks should contain. Why should Texas have all the fun?

Just think - we could go for the Ecotopian false history of the Pacific Northwest!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37220562/ns/us_news-life/

donald branscom
05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I really hope states start demanding their own ideas of what textbooks should contain. Why should Texas have all the fun?

Just think - we could go for the Ecotopian false history of the Pacific Northwest!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37220562/ns/us_news-life/

Two corporations are running everything. Thats all I can say.
Talk to a teacher in person, (outdoors) and they can tell you.

B_B
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Texas school board member Dunbar, who home-schools her children
there ougta be a law...

John of Phoenix
05-19-2010, 06:08 PM
I thought the winners got to write history. :D

Dave Gray
05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
There might be two corporations, but somehow I think the Texas school board has an astounding amount of control over text books. I am amazed that other states are allowing this to go on and are not banding together with their own demands.

Wayne Jeffers
05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
There might be two corporations, but somehow I think the Texas school board has an astounding amount of control over text books. I am amazed that other states are allowing this to go on and are not banding together with their own demands.

In states other than Texas, textbooks are chosen by a multitude of local school boards. Here in Athens County, one of 88 in Ohio, for instance, there are five (5) school districts, each choosing their own textbooks. Local control of schools, you see. Many small customers for textbook publishers.

In Texas, one state school board chooses the books for the entire state, and one of the largest states at that. Central control. One huge customer for textbook publishers. What the political hacks on the Texas school board want, they pretty much get from the textbook publishers.

Wayne

Edited to add: And the textbook publishers do not publish multiple editions, one for Texas and one for more enlightened states. The other states pretty much have to choose from among books written in an attempt to please the Texas state school board, with few exceptions.

George Jung
05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
They had a big expose' on this awhile back, 60 minutes. The California lobbiess, have really bastardized their textbooeks, as well. Texas has 'control' based on buying power. History as we are taught bears lil' resemblnce to reality.

Glen Longino
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Trouble is, a humongous and wealthy and fundamentally ignorant school board, like Texas, orders 39 million textbooks at $30 each that say the earth is 7,000 years old and that dinosaurs were happy travelers on Noah's Arc, er, I mean Ark.
At the same time a tiny and wealthy and sane school board, like Rhode Island, wherever the hell that is:), orders 3,000 textbooks that say earth is 5 billion years old and does not mention Noah's Ark or dinosaurs.
Guess which textbook gets published.

Dave Gray
05-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I realize the economics and the clout involved. I know this has been discussed in the bilge before. I am amazed that other school boards are passively allowing this revisionism and haven't contracted with other publishers.

Kaa
05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I thought the winners got to write history. :D

You missed an h and have an extra n.

Kaa

johnw
05-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Are you sure they haven't contacted the publishers? And how much do you think the publishers will care?

Dave Gray
05-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Are you sure they haven't contacted the publishers? And how much do you think the publishers will care?

Dunno. But as they say, money talks. So let's start our own grass roots education movement - Free Textbooks from Texas!

I am sure you guys can come up with something catchier.

elf
05-19-2010, 08:06 PM
The iPad will pull the bottom out of the whole charade. For $9.99 per book, with deals available to school systems, teachers will be able to specify which books the kids are to download to their iPads, which they'll now be given, instead of laptops.

Kaa
05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
The iPad will pull the bottom out of the whole charade. For $9.99 per book, with deals available to school systems, teachers will be able to specify which books the kids are to download to their iPads, which they'll now be given, instead of laptops.

That would be quite horrible.

iPad is a closed system, described as a dedicated payments terminal for the iTunes store...

And functionally, iPad is nowhere close to being a replacement for a laptop.

Kaa

johnw
05-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Open-source textbooks? I understand one on economics already exists. And yea, that would be something for laptops.

George Jung
05-20-2010, 08:08 AM
politics affecting history books? Nah, it''d never happen....

I recall the eye-opener that college history was, over my hs exposure. And try comparing some of the older texts, vs how 'history' is expressed now, in a PC re-write. Nauseating. Difficult to learn from history when it's 'remodeled' to fit modern agendas.

johnw
05-20-2010, 03:15 PM
One real problem is that textbooks acceptable to lots of school districts tend to have such a bland flavor that students conclude history is boring. Take out the controversy, and you take out the spice in history.

ccmanuals
05-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Jon Stewarts' take on this whole mess:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-march-17-2010/don-t-mess-with-textbooks

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Those in positions of authority in Texas are getting a uniform reputation for stupidity, as much as several other large hierarchal organizations.

Here's my take on not just the content of textbooks, but also high pricing due to monopolies: Assemble groups of articles on Wikipedia for use as textbooks. Many (most) of the articles on Wikipedia are now superior in depth and explanation to the textbooks I used in school. Wikipedia's terms of use do allow use for public, non-profit use, which applies to schools. To prevent sabotage, articles on Wiki can be locked to prevent editing by unknown sources, with perhaps editing periods set up between the school years, based on submissions from the past year.

Dave Gray
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I know! We can require alternate histories as part of the school curricula and not label them as fiction. Like the South winning the Civil war, or the Allies losing WWII.

donald branscom
05-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Trouble is, a humongous and wealthy and fundamentally ignorant school board, like Texas, orders 39 million textbooks at $30 each that say the earth is 7,000 years old and that dinosaurs were happy travelers on Noah's Arc, er, I mean Ark.
At the same time a tiny and wealthy and sane school board, like Rhode Island, wherever the hell that is:), orders 3,000 textbooks that say earth is 5 billion years old and does not mention Noah's Ark or dinosaurs.
Guess which textbook gets published.

Yes well it has been many years since i graduated from anything but I have learned that there were not enough dinosaurs to provide all the oil we use. Or plants.

The cat is out of the bag. Oil comes from earth processes.

donald branscom
05-20-2010, 05:31 PM
That's bias right there Jack! If I want my kids to learn about God I'll thank the public school system to stay the hell out of it. That's my and my church's job.

Doug

No actually it is YOUR job. When a child first asks their parents who god is, is a VERY important question, and there is only ONE correct answer.
And the answer is......We don't know.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
05-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes well it has been many years since i graduated from anything but I have learned that there were not enough dinosaurs to provide all the oil we use. Or plants.

The cat is out of the bag. Oil comes from earth processes.

Depends not only on how many dinosaurs at any given time, but how many existed over time. You might be right. So what was the population and existence span of the dinosaurs? Estimated mass? Efficiency of conversion relative to rendered oil mass? Show your work.

What do you mean "earth processes"? You seem to be implying that petroleum is manufactured by natural processes over a relatively short period of time, as opposed to millions of years. Please describe. Balanced chemical equations should apply.

WX
05-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Some years back I heard a story about an Australian publishing company that was printing health education books for US schools. Illustrations were not to show belly buttons...let alone anything else.

John Smith
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
politics affecting history books? Nah, it''d never happen....

I recall the eye-opener that college history was, over my hs exposure. And try comparing some of the older texts, vs how 'history' is expressed now, in a PC re-write. Nauseating. Difficult to learn from history when it's 'remodeled' to fit modern agendas.
Even more so when history is changed to fit the Bible.

John Smith
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I said it's my job. If I choose to attend a church then it's their job as well. As to what you choose to tell your child about God it's your choice. For some, "We don't know" is not the correct answer.

Doug
That's the "SOME'S" problem. They won't admit they don't know.

The FACT is, we don't know.

Milo Christensen
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Anybody ranting on about Texas (who doesn't live in Texas) and thinking that local school board control is somehow better has never been a high school biology teacher sitting on a biology textbook selection committee. One of the teacher's wanted to teach biology only from the 1937 edition of Moon, Otto, Towle. Another declared that there was just too much fact based information to teach and the only solution was to use the completely experiential learning biology by doing biology published by the Biological Sciences Curriculum Study - the infamous BSCS Inquiry approach.

We ended up with something pretty watered down, +400 pages that couldn't be covered thoroughly in 180 fifty minute classes.

pefjr
05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
The adults in my HS years said Elvis was a heathen, and blacks were dirty and ignorant. But we knew better, and I bet the young today are too smart to fall for the Texas School Board version of history.

Kaa
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Not a new book at all, and quite popular, too...

http://elementaryteacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/book_lies_my_teacher_told_me.jpg

Kaa

jbelow
05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
The left in America does not need a whole textbook for their version of American History. A single sticky note will do. White men came to the Americas to kill native inhabitants , destroy the environment , and enslave the blacks from Africa to do the dirty work. End of story!

pefjr
05-21-2010, 09:27 PM
To find out how smart you are on US History. Take this quiz:

test (http://quiz.u-s-history.com/)