PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Dinghy

Lindsay
03-25-2001, 03:37 AM
I am keen to hear of nesting dinghy options.
There is a space 2.4 metres (7.8ft) on my foredeck that I hope to make the best use out of.
I want the best compromise possible, that is, a good sailing dinghy, that rows well and can motor along fast enough for the kids to tow water toys (on the plane).
Has anyone thought this through already, or do I have to start from scratch?
I have a familly of four that will be young teenagers when we expect to finish a cruise from New Zealand to America.
All comments welcome.
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lindsay (edited 03-26-2001).]

paladin
03-25-2001, 06:30 AM
How big is the big boat?

Marco
03-25-2001, 08:23 AM
I have plans for the "Two Bits" nesting dinghy by Danny Greene, NA. It is 9'4" long and has a beam of 4' 2". As I recall, it is built using the stitch and glue method. The instruction book seems quite extensive and detailed and there are full size drawings of the panels. Plans include the sail rig.
There have been comments on this boat published in a newsgroup recently, and I seem to recall that they covered a spectrum.
An internet search is likely to turn up 2-3 other nesting dinghy designs. Best regards,
Warren

Tom Lathrop
03-25-2001, 08:24 AM
Look at this site for several choices in nesting sailing dinghies. These boats sail, power and row really well.

www.bandbyachtdesigns.com (http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com)

cansogypsy
03-25-2001, 07:40 PM
It sure is a dilemma when you have children on a boat. Our solution when on an extended cruise to the Bahamas and Georgian Bay with our family was simple, but costly. Namely: Two dingies. We carried on deck an 8ft fibreglass dingy that the kids could row or sail, plus we also carried a 10ft Zodiac with an 8HP outboard which enabled us to cover larger distances if need be. The main advantage to this approach for us at least was if the kids took off with either dingy, my wife and I were not stranded at anchor and always had the other to get to shore with.
My problem now that both dingies have disintigrated from old age, the kids are grown up and no longer home but I still have the 8hp engine. I have also been looking for a nesting dingy that would provide the stability and speed of an inflatable and accept our engine. So far, my search has not been too fruitful. I guess, that what we both are looking for is something along the lines of a nesting Boston Whaler. Anyhow, if I come across anything in the future, I'll let you know.

Lindsay
03-26-2001, 12:11 AM
paladinsfo

The big boat is a Gitana 43. At 43 foot long she has IOR lines (a narrow transom) and the cabin area stops aft of the mast.

When I work out how to post photos, I will show you where I will be stowing the dinghy at sea.

Lindsay
03-26-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Marco:
Warren[/B]

Thanks Marco. I will see if I can find the info on your plans.

Lindsay
03-26-2001, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Tom Lathrop:

www.bandbyachtdesigns.com (http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com) [/B]

Thanks Tom. A really good site. I was most impressed with how the 10' dinghy is shown planing with a two horse motor. I have Emailed them for more info on diamentions when nested.

Lindsay
03-26-2001, 02:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cansogypsy:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. An inflatable is an option, but I can only stow it in the ends of the big boat. I try and aviod putting heavy weights in the ends where possible. I'm still not in cruising mode properly I suspect.

Mark Weaver
03-26-2001, 04:06 PM
I built the B&B dingy you're talking about last year (non-nesting version). Sails, rows, and tows very nicely, but I haven't had a chance to put an outboard on it yet.

http://people.mw.mediaone.net/mlweaver/NorthChannel2000/Rowing.jpg

Jay
03-26-2001, 11:50 PM
We've been cruising for three years now with Danny Greene's Chameleon design nesting dingy. It's a hoot to sail, especially when the wind pipes up. She's quite stable as well, pretty easy to get into when we're snorkeling. Greene figures about 150 hours to build, which we found to be accurate. It nests in 5 1/2 feet, we have no problem stowing it aft of the mast on our Alden 30.

PatCox
04-04-2001, 08:45 PM
I think its in Spurr's Boat Book (a book about upgrading and repairing glass sailboats) that I saw plans for a three piece nesting dinghy, about 5' per section, very interesting because after you built it you could put it together in two different configurations. With all three pieces you had an almost double-ended 15 footer, good for sailing or rowing, but if you went with only the first two pieces, you could mount an outboard and have a nice little planing runabout with a broad transom to take the motor and help it plane. Looked pretty neat, and sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

[This message has been edited by PatCox (edited 04-04-2001).]