PDA

View Full Version : Irises

elf
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I've got a lot of irises, and most of them never bloom.

How frequently does one have to divide the things to keep them blooming?

Wayne Jeffers
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
. . . How frequently does one have to divide the things to keep them blooming?

I suspect that depends, in part, upon how closely they were planted.

We once had lots of irises and my wife planted them fairly densely in a big dedicated bed. IIRC, they needed to be divided/thinned about every 4 or 5 years.

Now we have only a few, and they are well-spaced among other plantings. After 5 years, they show no signs of needing divided soon.

Wayne

TomF
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
I do mine every 3-5 years, or the blooms thin out. They like a whole lot of sun, really good drainage, and having the top half of the rhizome above the soil level.

If you're not getting enough blooming and they're not overcrowded, it might be they're planted too deep.

elf
05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Tom. I'm aware that they like to be planted on the earth, instead of in it. I suspect the problem is that they've been in the same place since I came here 15 years ago, and it's time to divide and clean out rot, bugs and dead pieces of corm and replant.

With the number I have I could dig a bed 50 feet long for them all!

Sigh

TomF
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Tom. I'm aware that they like to be planted on the earth, instead of in it. I suspect the problem is that they've been in the same place since I came here 15 years ago, and it's time to divide and clean out rot, bugs and dead pieces of corm and replant.

With the number I have I could dig a bed 50 feet long for them all!

SighThe only problem with a 50-foot bed of irises ... is the monumental hole when the blooming's over.