PDA

View Full Version : Orange Chicken

stoneyreef
05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Trying to find a close facsimile of Panda Express's orange chicken has been a journey until today!!!

This is made with mostly things out of the pantry.

2 lbs chicken chopped into bite sized pieces
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
white pepper
oil (for frying)
1/2 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup flour
beat egg, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and coat. Mix flour and cornstarch and blend into the chicken evenly coating it. Fry in deep fryer until almost golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Orange Sauce

1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil for sauteeing
1 teaspoon olive oil for sauteeing

1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon of cornstarch
This is really best to make a day ahead and let the flavors blend. Anyhow, start with a hot pan. Put the olive oil and sesame oil in the pan and heat. Then add the onion, ginger, and garlic and stir fry. Be extra careful not to scorch the ginger or garlic pieces, this goes really fast less than a minute fast! Dump all the chicken in on top and the rest of the sauce. Quickly turn the chicken to coat. When the sauce reaches the thickness you like, you are done!!!! Awesome!!!

paladin
05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't use olive oil as I think it imparts a different flavor...I prefer peanut oil or canola oil in a pinch. I also only use the egg white.

GregH
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
If you are ever in Homewood, Illinois (far south suburb of Chicago), stop in at Eat Rice- finest Orange Chicken in the world!!!