PDA

View Full Version : Whilley Boat

Chris Setzler
05-03-2010, 03:38 PM
My Whilley Boat was finally finished by my good friend, Robert Bailey so traveled down to Harkers Island, NC to pick it up. Bob had been working long hours to get it ready to enter in a little wooden boat show in Beaufort, NC. People attending generally referred to the boat as a "Willy Boat". I've always called it a "Wy-lee" Boat. So how is the name of this Oughtred design pronounced?

gazzer
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Chris,

It was nice meeting you and Bob in Beaufort on Saturday. Your boat was beautiful. I had been wavering on using walnut, mahogany, or ash for the trim on my yet to be turned over Arctic Tern. After seeing yours I'm thinking that walnut may be it.

To answer your question, though, I have always used the short "i" version of the name, but I am in the "what do I know" group and really have no idea.

-G

Ed Armstrong
05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Where are the photos!?! Let's see it! :).

I've always called it "Willy" (rhymes with Philly), but I'm guessing too.

Ed

Chris Setzler
05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
gazzer, Glad we could provide an example of what walnut looks like on one of IO's double enders.
Ed, Photos will come as soon as I get them up-loaded to PhotoBucket.

Chris

Peerie Maa
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Where are the photos!?! Let's see it! :).

I've always called it "Willy" (rhymes with Philly), but I'm guessing too.

Ed

I think that it is pronounced that way as well, but have never heard the word in its native Shetland. It is derived from the old Shetland word Eela, a rock used as an anchor on a small boat.

PeterSibley
05-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Aren't pronounciations strange ...I've always said it as in Whily Coyote .

Chris Setzler
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
That was a nice looking job on the boat and your wooden enlays. I do have a question though. Have you been in the boat with direct sun inside to see if the dark color was hot?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking if the walnut got hot in sunlight?

Chris

gavinpascoe
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
In Shetland it's probably pronounced Whullie. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oor_Wullie)

KMacDonald
05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Chris, I saw the Willy boat in Beaufort last weekend. The walnut trim looked real good.

Thorne
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I would have been close with my "Whilly", then -- but not spot on.

Chris Setzler
05-04-2010, 08:09 AM
It might have helped if I spelled right in the first place. Should be "Whilly" I plead old age.

Chris

RodSBT
05-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Who ALL Cares how you pronounce the dang name!!!

LETS SEE SOME PICTURES!!!!!

Chris Setzler
05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Okay
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Chriscrash02/BeaufortBoatShow.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Chriscrash02/FistLaunch.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Chriscrash02/Interior.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Chriscrash02/ReadyfortheRamp-1.jpg

l.clayton.parker
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
That is one fine looking boat you have there.

Lee

Ed Armstrong
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree with Lee. Beautiful!

RodSBT
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Very nice Chris, a beautiful example of a most excellent design.

Chris Setzler
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Many thanks for your kind remarks

Chris

James McMullen
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Yay! There just can't be enough Oughtred boats on the water for me. Rowan and I salute you!

perldog007
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Gorgeous! Congratulations on a fine boat.

dalekidd
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Great job, Chris! Nice to see those closeups. I guess this is the MkII Whilly boat, the Whillly Tern?

Can you describe your thought process in choosing this design? I'm sure you have sailed her. Has she lived up to expectations, stability, handling, windward performance, etc?

I've been looking closely at IO double-enders and thinking about doing one of them - Whilly was at the top of my list as I think the others might be bigger than what I need.

I'm from VA though I live in GA now. Will probably be up this summer to visit family (Richmond). Are you up to showing off your boat?

Chris Setzler
05-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Great job, Chris! Nice to see those closeups. I guess this is the MkII Whilly boat, the Whillly Tern?

Can you describe your thought process in choosing this design? I'm sure you have sailed her. Has she lived up to expectations, stability, handling, windward performance, etc?

I've been looking closely at IO double-enders and thinking about doing one of them - Whilly was at the top of my list as I think the others might be bigger than what I need.

I'm from VA though I live in GA now. Will probably be up this summer to visit family (Richmond). Are you up to showing off your boat?

I just could not resist building one of Oughtred's double enders. It is the Whilly, however. The Artic Tern didn't existed when I ordered the plans from WoodenBoat mag. Happy to show it to you. I'll send my address via private message. Can't answer any questions about performance yet . Haven't sailed it.

Chris

James McMullen
05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
That rope traveler might be a little bit in the way. . .there's no harm with a self-vanging balance lug to sheet straight to the centerline.

htom
05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Beautiful, whatever she's called.