PDA

View Full Version : Another passing

ishmael
04-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Spoke with my friend Naoma this afternoon. Another shipmate of pop just died. 83. Heart failure during an operation. That puts the remaining number of crew at 19, out of what, I'm guessing, 300? What was the typical complement aboard a WW II LST?

Naoma is such a sweetheart. She'd never met the man, had spoken with him once on the phone, yet she was inconsolable. Had to go, couldn't talk through her grief.

She's a heroine of mine. Maybe twenty years ago, retired from office management, she got the idea of pulling together the threads of LST 639, aboard which both her late husband and my father served. Self-published a history, put out a newsletter once every couple of months, organized an annual reuion. So when a crew member dies, to her it's like losing a member of the family.

So, here's to the crewman who died (I didn't catch his name) and to people like Naoma. She's part of the glue that keeps all this stuck together.

The Bigfella
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey Jack - how about fixing the brakes in the truck and going visit all 19 of those left. Record their memories and publish it. Some of them might even have interesting daughters.

Paul Pless
04-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Some of them might even have interesting daughters.or granddaughters, or great grand daughters. . .

The Bigfella
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I was thinking of those who might be interested in Jack