PDA

View Full Version : Geico Gecko terminated...with extreme predjudice..

paladin
04-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Lance Baxter, better known as D.C. Douglas but perhaps best known as the voice of certain Geico commercials (primarily as the tag announcer of a 2007-2008 celebrity ad campaign) has been fired by the insurance company after leaving a voicemail for Tea Party group FreedomWorks.

Douglas asked FreedomWorks in his voicemail what "the percentage of people that are mentally retarded who are working for FreedomWorks and who are following it," or as he has since put it, he "inquired as to their intelligence level."

In the voicemail, Douglas also questions how FreedomWorks will "spin it when one of your members does actually kill somebody, wondering if you've got a PR spinning routine planned for that or are you just gonna take it when it happens."

In the aftermath, FreedomWorks president Matt Kibbe published a post on the conservative website biggovernment.com, providing readers with a recording of the voicemail -- which included Douglas's personal phone number -- and encouraging people to call both Douglas and Geico to "[l]et them know that you, in fact, are not a mentally retarded killer."

According to a press release from Wednesday, Geico held auditions to replace Douglas the next day.

Douglas has since acknowledged such an impulsive move was "STUPID!," but says he was impassioned by the "slurs the Tea Party crowd angrily yelled at Barney Frank, et al," during the climax of health care reform.

He also holds no grudge against his former employer, saying in the press release: "I don't blame GEICO for protecting themselves. They have a business to run and can't waste time getting caught up in FreedomWorks' circus. And they've been very good to me in the past."

Captain Blight
04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Hmmmm.... So because this guy has a voice he sells professionally, he's unable to have his own politics and use his voice to speak his own mind? Preposterous.

htom
04-23-2010, 11:03 AM
He did not voice Martin Gecko (strange that I'd never heard that the gecko character had a first name until this came along.)

Rick-Mi
04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Looks like the writing is on the wall it can be very bad for business slandering Tea Party people. :D

paladin
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Why slander them...let them self destruct...besides, Sarah makes money that way.

Captain Intrepid
04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Looks like the writing is on the wall it can be very bad for business slandering Tea Party people. :D

Slander implies unthruth. They'd have a hard time proving that in court. ;)

Kaa
04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Par for the course, as I understand...

E.g. http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hxXJXBmzaSqpmuxLZCDop1jxNPSg

I recommend http://www.emmaclarke.com/media/7142/a-reminder-for-american-tourists.mp3 :D

Kaa

pefjr
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Who is retarded again?:D

Bruce Hooke
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Looks like the writing is on the wall it can be very bad for business slandering Tea Party people.

Unless slander is your stock in trade (e.g., certain talk radio hosts), it is generally bad business to slander anyone.

Rick-Mi
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Slander implies unthruth. They'd have a hard time proving that in court. ;)

Who has to prove anything when the slanderer of the Tea Party is suddenly unemployed ;)

Rick-Mi
04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
it is generally bad business to slander anyone.

I agree.....

John of Phoenix
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Now to get those annoying cavemen.

paladin
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
naw...they already complained to the ACLU.

Figment
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Now to get those annoying cavemen.

I'll help!

The caveman ads during NHL playoff games have been INSUFFERABLE!!!

paul oman
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
fools and idiots come in all colors.
I'm sure the 15 minutes gig paid very well and there are plenty of 'smarter' folks who would love to have that job. For risking the health of his goose that laid golden eggs, he earned his fate.

Ian McColgin
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Just as I do not think it right for a used car dealership to fire a Tea Party person who shows up on TV with a misspelled sign, so also I think this firing wrong. Legal, but wrong.

Shows something about the company's management that were I still doing business with them would have caused me to take it elsewhere.

That's assuming those silly gekko and caveman ads hadn't driven me off. In the event, a far better deal bought me off a good decade ago.

So what do I care?

I care that political life has become so intemperate.

LeeG
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
a little window into Freedom Works, insult them and they'll seek you out and put your name on their vigilante to do list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedomworks

FreedomWorks is primarily funded by individual donations. According to the media watchdog group Media Matters for America information center, FreedomWorks has also received funding from Verizon and SBC (now AT&T).[11] Other FreedomWorks funders have included Philip Morris and foundations controlled by the conservative Scaife family, according to tax filings and other records.[12][13] It also receives funding through the sale of insurance policies through which policyholders automatically become members of FreedomWorks.[14]
FreedomWorks is closely tied to its founder, corporate lobbyist and former Republican Congressman Dick Armey, whose former lobbying firm DLA Piper that he resigned in August 2009, represents Bristol Myers Squibb, among other pharmaceutical companies.[15][16]