PDA

View Full Version : Plans for 14' skiff for winter project

Bruce May
11-18-2000, 09:22 PM
I am new to this site, I like the forum. I am wondering if anyone can help me find a set of plans for a 14' skiff , plywood construction preferred. I didn't see any I like from Glen-L,Ken Hankinson,Clark-craft. I like the simmons sea skiff but that is too much of a project.
I did see a plan in On THe Water mag. this past spring for a flatiron skiff which is a possibility. Any other suggestions?
Also if I paint it with epoxy paint ,is there any need to coat the inside and out with epoxy first? Thanks for any advice, this will be my first boat-building experience.

dngoodchild
11-19-2000, 05:52 AM
There are a number of skiffs on my booklet site. You might try there.
http://www.anyboat.com/books/booklets.htm

Regards.

Alan Peck
11-19-2000, 10:07 AM
You might want to look at "Thirty Wooden Boats" from WoodenBoat Magazine.

I am presently building a 14'6" outboard skiff called "Little Moby" that is shown in the above catalog of building plans.

holzbt
11-23-2000, 06:32 AM
If you are looking for an open skiff design there is a plan for a nice 14' one in a book called "Boats Anyone Can Build". I have built several of these and the owners have all been very pleased with them. I also modified the design when people wanted to put outboards on them. I also built several of them. With two people and a 6 HP these will easily plane off with plenty to spare. I built all of them out of solid lumber, but the plan has spec's for plywood as well.
I think the book was published in 1947 but I don't remember the publisher, maybe popular science. I have seen copies turn up on eBay. If you are interested and can't find a copy I will photocopy and send you the chapter.

[This message has been edited by holzbt (edited 11-23-2000).]

Dave Carnell
11-23-2000, 07:09 AM
I have built "Uncle Gabe's Flattie Skiff" in Rabl's "Boatbuilding in your Own Backyard" in lengths from 10' to 16' (constant beam), except that I built it of " exterior plywood instead of 1" boards. One mold and the transom with external chines it couldn't be easier to build and is most serviceable.

Bruce May
11-23-2000, 08:56 AM
thanks for your replies,
I will search for those books at the library. I would like to use 1/2" ply for bottom and either 1/4" or 3/8" for the sides. Is it better to use 3/8" for sides?

Thanks for the offer holzbt, If I can't find the book I may be interested, I'll let you know.

Bruce May
12-01-2000, 08:31 PM
Dave , I got the book you were referring to and I have to agree that does seem to be a nice easy to build design. I also like the plan of Teal - the 15' skiff and the plan is more complete.
Thanks for the advice everyone, Bruce

Keith Wilson
12-03-2000, 09:14 AM
Ken Swan has a number of good-looking skiffs, sail, row, and power, in various sizes; see:
http://www.swanboatdesign.com/index.html

You might also be interested in Arch Davis' Sand Dollar - Not the best for power, but a nice rowing-sailing skiff - http://by-the-sea.com/archdavisdesign/davis_sanddollar.html