PDA

View Full Version : Where do I sell a RACING woodie?

Sailnick
04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
I am reluctantly considering selling my beautiful, varnished, 18' racing dinghy (and trailer) because wife, kids and work have caused her to simply take up space in my garage. I don't particularly want to stick her on somewhere as generic as Ebay, Craig's List, Sail Texas or Sailing Anarchy because I will not even consider selling her (the boat, not the wife - the wife can go to the 1st bidder!) to someone who is not a lover of wooden boats. The Wooden Boats advertisements tend to be for cruising boats and so it would probably be a waste of my money to advertise there. Any ideas as to where to advertise?

She is a British Osprey dinghy, designed by Ian Proctor (of Proctor Masts fame), built in 1978 by master boatbuilder Mike Corbin, but not launched until 1985. She as also spent the last 15 years in storage, so she has has very little use. Most unusually, she is varnished inside and out, and is the ultimate head-turner!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Thorne
04-22-2010, 05:10 PM
WB or SCA magazine ads if you only want the purist crowd, plus any local sailing rags. Sail Texas might be good, too. eBay and CL will probably be the most effective, and you'll get a lot fewer tire-kickers / timewasters / hustlers on eBay.

The local TSCA chapter is another great resource. Consider local Yacht Clubs that have active dinghy racing fleets.

If she's as pretty as you say, you'll have no problem selling her to the right person. No direct sales allowed on this Forum.

Phil Y
04-22-2010, 06:35 PM
sell the wife mate.

SMARTINSEN
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Small Craft Advisor has classifieds, as does Duckworks.

JimConlin
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Try the Osprey class association (http://www.ospreysailing.org.uk/)

Uncle Duke
04-23-2010, 06:10 AM
I crewed on an Osprey when I was young and athletic - my first experience with a trapeze - wonderful boat!
Best of luck and thanks for bringing the memories back...

DGentry
04-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Where in TX are you? Rush Creek YC, Ft. Worth Boat Club and Corinthian YC - all in Dallas, used to have strong dinghy racing fleets. You might advertise there, as those folks will likely be knowledgeable and interested.

Austin YC, Houston YC, Lake Canyon YC and even Shreveport YC (Louisiana) all had dinghy racing, too, depending where you are.

Good luck!
Dave Gentry

bamamick
04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
You actually may be able to sell it locally because of the advent of some good Portsmouth small-boat racing in Texas.

I have thought about this a lot and honestly I just can't help you. I always advertise on the class websites, or put it out there word of mouth. It always seems to work sooner or later.

Mickey Lake