PDA

View Full Version : An Eglishmans right to go to sea in what HE deems fit

varadero
04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Not the first time or the last! But it is a wooden boat. A future member of the forum, maybe?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1268014/Lifeboat-rescues-Captain-Calamity-marooned-sea-catamaran-wood-metal-bedstead.html :D

Rich Jones
04-22-2010, 09:07 AM
A fine looking vessel! A mini "Raw Faith"! Perhaps this fellow can sail it to this side of the pond and crew on Raw Faith. They'd be perfect together.

switters
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
the spirit of David Vann lives on.

LeeG
04-22-2010, 09:13 AM
a few modifications and he'll be ready to go again

downthecreek
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
We have a fine tradition of putting to sea in such splendid vessels. One of the many freedoms we enjoy that are denied to our American brethren - coastguards can wring their hands, gnash their teeth and rend their garments as much as they like, but they can't slap a "manifestly unsafe voyage" sticker on it. :)

martin schulz
04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
We have a fine tradition of putting to sea in such splendid vessels. One of the many freedoms we enjoy that are denied to our American brethren - coastguards can wring their hands, gnash their teeth and rend their garments as much as they like, but they can't slap a "manifestly unsafe voyage" sticker on it. :)

Wasn't there a chap sailing in the irish channel with roadmaps alone and had to be rescued a couple of times?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-22-2010, 09:22 AM

And I though we were going to get an equal opportunity post.....

The Bigfella
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Yeah... that's about the standard one would expect from that third world country...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/22/article-0-093E254E000005DC-509_468x540.jpg

Bear in mind, it won't be recognised as a sailing vessel over there, because its got more than one hull. Just not pucker.

James McMullen
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
What would have been the consequence if the Coast Guard hadn't been on hand to save this guy? Possibly a fatality.

What about in the case in any of the several times the Coast Guard has rescued Raw Faith from her various misadventures? Possibly several fatalities.

What's the cost to society of letting fools go about their business with no restraints? What's the cost of policing them? Is it worth the cost either way?

When I'm feeling cynical, I mutter about the Darwininan solution being perhaps the best of all. . .but I don't really mean it. I think we as a society have a right and an obligation to each other to keep these fringe crazies from damaging themselves if only for the simple fact that it is we as a society that will have to pay the costs of cleaning up their messes. People who do things like this are inherently and selfishly anti-social.

downthecreek
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
And I though we were going to get an equal opportunity post.....

I know better than that. :D

downthecreek
04-22-2010, 09:52 AM
What would have been the consequence if the Coast Guard hadn't been on hand to save this guy? Possibly a fatality.

Quite possibly. But we really don't have many of those - certainly no more than the countries where there is greater regulation, so it really isn't a big issue.

tomlarkin
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
See the kick-up rudder? Obviously a master carpenter!

Kaa
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I think we as a society have a right and an obligation to each other to keep these fringe crazies from damaging themselves if only for the simple fact that it is we as a society that will have to pay the costs of cleaning up their messes. People who do things like this are inherently and selfishly anti-social.

Of course! I think we immediately need to expressly forbid going to sea in small boats. There's no good societal purpose to this and these fringe crazies (some of them even go to sea in *homebuilt* boats -- imagine the insanity!) are inherently and selfishly anti-social -- and impose costs on society which has to rescue them and clean up their messes.

Kaa

B_B
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Wasn't there a chap sailing in the irish channel with roadmaps alone and had to be rescued a couple of times?

The Coastguard and Maritime Agency said the unemployed painter had cost lifeboat services an estimated pounds 30,000 for six rescues during the past year

story (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Eric,+the+road-map+sailor+who+is+all+at+sea.-a063984512)

Rich Jones
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
When in my teens, I designed and built a couple of small sailing craft. Soon discovered that I wasn't much of a designer and not, as of yet, a very good builder. But at least I had the sense to test those things in a small lake while wearing a life-jacket!

James McMullen
04-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Nice logical fallacy there, Kaa. Let's see. . . is that better classified as reductio ad absurdam or as a simple straw man fallacy? Either way, congratulations on your consistency in being such a knee-jerk contrarian.

Kaa
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice logical fallacy there, Kaa. Let's see. . . is that better classified as reductio ad absurdam or as a simple straw man fallacy? Either way, congratulations on your consistency in being such a knee-jerk contrarian.

What logical fallacy? I case you misunderstood it, my short post wasn't a syllogism. It was a "point finger and laugh" thing.

I also don't see anything particularly contrarian here. Or jerking body parts.

By the way, it's absurdum. Go write ROMANI ITE DOMUM a hundred times :D

Kaa

peter radclyffe
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
you should see more of the junk we take out to sea in our banana republic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9tgbmMulQ