PDA

View Full Version : Stage Two, Part Two: Forumite Yeadon to answer questions until 5 p.m. PST.

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
My friends, if there's anything that I've demonstrated over the course of time, it's that I'm here for you. Tell me your troubles. I'm almost positive I can help.

One note to pass along ... forumite Harry Miller has indirectly requested the end of mensa-type questions. He thinks you're a bunch of posers.

switters
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Why are shrouds called shrouds and not port and starboard stays?

Should I go sailing this weekend even though the boat is not registered yet? or just go with the canoe?

Captain Blight
04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Am I skeevy for looking at all the girls in their summer dresses? There are a couple strippers out sunbathing on the local pedestrian mall right now-- am I creepy for staring?

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Why are shrouds called shrouds and not port and starboard stays?

Should I go sailing this weekend even though the boat is not registered yet? or just go with the canoe?

Question No. 1 ... in response, I ask you ... why is a halyard a halyard, and not an uphaul?

Of the three questions, I like the second one best. I think you have to decide if the penalty is worth the so-called crime. It reminds me of the day that I launched my boat, Big Food. My license plate was expired and the ramp was a good four miles away. Right before we left, my dad said, hey, your plate is expired ... you might get a ticket.

I responded that if I got a ticket, that I'd pay up, then go launch the boat regardless. I knew the penalty, and was willing to take the chance.

I think this represents a larger question we deal with daily in life. For more information, see the thread in which Pless burned his girlfriend's yoga pants without her knowledge.

Personally, I would go sailing. Your call.

Question No. 3 ... canoes are nice.

atmartin
04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Why the hell did you lock the last thread? I'll avoid you like the plague from now on! :mad:

It was getting pretty silly

And this is serious

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Am I skeevy for looking at all the girls in their summer dresses? There are a couple strippers out sunbathing on the local pedestrian mall right now-- am I creepy for staring?

You're screwed if you do, screwed if you don't. Again, see Pless's thread about the yoga pants.

Why the hell did you lock the last thread? I'll avoid you like the plague from now on! :mad:

Again, see Pless's thread about the yoga pants. There is a life lesson in here somewhere.

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
It was getting pretty silly

And this is serious

This makes me wonder. Is this my thread, the forum's thread, or simply a thread of the people?

If it is my thread, then I can do what I want with it. I promise I won't delete it, but I may lock it. Locking threads is fun.
Now, if it belongs to the forumites, then it is up to them to run it into the ground. They are perfectly capable and content doing just that. See Harry Miller Mensa Comment.
If it is A THREAD OF THE PEOPLE, then I reserve the right to do what I think is best for the people. Sort of like I'm thread president.

seanz
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
You can't definitively answer your own questions?
My faith has been shattered.

Uncle Duke
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
My friends say that my girl is shameless. I contend that she is unashamed. Does it matter which of us is correct?

atmartin
04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
This makes me wonder. Is this my thread, the forum's thread, or simply a thread of the people?

If it is my thread, then I can do what I want with it. I promise I won't delete it, but I may lock it. Locking threads is fun.
Now, if it belongs to the forumites, then it is up to them to run it into the ground. They are perfectly capable and content doing just that. See Harry Miller Mensa Comment.
If it is A THREAD OF THE PEOPLE, then I reserve the right to do what I think is best for the people. Sort of like I'm thread president.

I see no functional difference between the first and last option.

In fact, the whole post is trick question. Well played

capnharv
04-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Why are shutters to the cabin called "duckboards"?

Why is the area that the anchor rubs against on a square rigger called a "Billboard"?

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
You can't definitively answer your own questions?
My faith has been shattered.

I am Thread President, but I do like a bit of public discourse.

My friends say that my girl is shameless. I contend that she is unashamed. Does it matter which of us is correct?

Shame is such a lame thing to carry around. Good for her.

seanz
04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
I am Thread President, but I do like a bit of public discourse.

I don't like the way you appointed yourself Thread President.....we'll see what the Thread Supreme Court has to say about that!

Is it true you are writing your answers at a desk that once belonged to Nathaniel Herreshoff?

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Why are shutters to the cabin called "duckboards"?

Why is the area that the anchor rubs against on a square rigger called a "Billboard"?

Harv!

Are you or are you not a member of Boat Mensa International? I suspect that John Watkins may also be a member.

That said, I know that a duckboard is a plank laid across a muddy field to serve as a walkway. And I've also heard of them used in above the sole in a marine shower. A "duckboard" as a cabin (companionway?) covering board is new to me. This is what happens when you ask an open boater about cabins and "billboards."

I don't like the way you appointed yourself Thread President.....we'll see what the Thread Supreme Court has to say about that!

Is it true you are writing your answers at a desk that once belonged to Nathaniel Herreshoff?

Get your own thread, brother.
The table I am currently working at was once owned by none other than Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd.

atmartin
04-20-2010, 03:49 PM
My direct boss is away today. As are all other persons of superior rank and pay grade.

Should I leave early and go sailing? What sort of message would that send to those unfortunate few even lower on the totem pole?

More importantly: will they rat me out?

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 03:58 PM
My direct boss is away today. As are all other persons of superior rank and pay grade.

Should I leave early and go sailing? What sort of message would that send to those unfortunate few even lower on the totem pole?

More importantly: will they rat me out?

Most moments we are alive are forgotten over time, except for either the really good ones or the really bad ones. If you stay at work, your day will very likely continue down a mediocre path. You'll probably forget today. Sailing is very likely the best way to remember today.

It'll be even sweeter if they do rat you out. Losers.

(You will also remember today, and this post, if you get canned.)

Duncan Gibbs
04-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Why?

...and why not?

seanz
04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Harv!

Are you or are you not a member of Boat Mensa International? I suspect that John Watkins may also be a member.

That said, I know that a duckboard is a plank laid across a muddy field to serve as a walkway. And I've also heard of them used in above the sole in a marine shower. A "duckboard" as a cabin (companionway?) covering board is new to me. This is what happens when you ask an open boater about cabins and "billboards."

Get your own thread, brother.
The table I am currently working at was once owned by none other than Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd.

We have heard much about the dangers of cults......what do I do if my partner wishes to travel to another country to worship at the temple of Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd?

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Go with them, they have a cafe and clean restrooms right there at the temple. It's quite pleasant for an hour or so.

atmartin
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
How are the meatballs? I've never worked up the courage to try them.

seanz
04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Go with them, they have a cafe and clean restrooms right there at the temple. It's quite pleasant for an hour or so.

Oh goody....a cafe.

Another country and it's further away than Canada.....which in any case is a long way to go for a clean restroom.

:eek: Good Grief! The President is with Them!

MiddleAgesMan
04-20-2010, 05:25 PM
My cat is staring at me through the front door. Should I get up and let her in or stay here for more random wisdom?

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
My cat is staring at me through the front door. Should I get up and let her in or stay here for more random wisdom?

A little known fact about WBF ... it will be here when you get back. I promise not to delete this thread.

I might lock it.

PS, confidential to Middle Ages Man - Savannah kicks ass. I love that town.

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 06:27 PM
All hail the boat from Tikrit.

Ted Hoppe
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
If I deleted a question, would someone wait up all night in Australia to find the non sequitor answer?

PAlien
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
If you were going to build a wooden hydro to tow behind your bike, would it be Atlas Van Lines, Miss Bud, or Oh Boy Oberto?

MiddleAgesMan
04-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Can I use my regular salted butter in recipes that call for unsalted butter?

ccmanuals
04-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Which is wetter? damp or moist?

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Now these are questions.

If I deleted a question, would someone wait up all night in Australia to find the non sequitor answer?

Worth a shot, if only to listen to their general discontent at being left out of all of our fun and games.

If you were going to build a wooden hydro to tow behind your bike, would it be Atlas Van Lines, Miss Bud, or Oh Boy Oberto?

Are those really the only three choices left? Doesn't Remo Borrachini's Bakery have a boat? If not, why not?

I guess I'd go with Oh Boy Oberto, if only because I like their sign on Rainier.

Can I use my regular salted butter in recipes that call for unsalted butter?

No. Recipes can be a fine balance, and if there is already the correct amount of salt represented in the recipe by other items, then your salted butter is going to destroy everything. At least, that's what my old know it all girlfriend used to tell me.

Ah hell, use the salted butter.

Damp, by a lot.

P.L.Lenihan
04-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I've just gotta ask this as I've been losing a terrible amount of sleep over it lately, but, when one cracks open a beer bottle from a case of 24,do the other 23 bottles know it?

Thanks in advance for your considered and sage reply.

Cheers!

Peter

seanz
04-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Is it time to lock this puppy and get a beer?

seanz
04-21-2010, 01:37 AM
OMG :eek:.......*

Simultaneous beer posts, must be beer o'clock somewhere.....

*I always wanted to say that.

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 01:38 AM
I've just gotta ask this as I've been losing a terrible amount of sleep over it lately, but, when one cracks open a beer bottle from a case of 24,do the other 23 bottles know it?

Thanks in advance for your considered and sage reply.

Cheers!

Peter

Yes, and generally, at least one of the other bottles quietly mutters "bastard."

Is it time to lock this puppy and get a beer?

What time is it in NZ?

seanz
04-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Night-time.......garn, just one to settle the dust.

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Just had two at the Nickerson Street Saloon. The dust is settled.

seanz
04-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Now you're being ridiculous......this The Bilge.....nothing is ever settled.

bobbys
04-21-2010, 02:42 AM
I should like to know when i make My PPand J is it proper etiquette to use a spoon to take the peanut butter out of the jar then transferring said spoon to jelly jar thus inserting peanut butter into jelly still existing in jelly jar thus spoiling the Jelly jar for people that just want pure unsoiled jelly?.
There seems to be a bit of controversy here as my wife desires un soiled Jell and harshly accuses me of a most severe Breach of etiquette..I dare not admit i lick the spoon not wanting to wait till the PPand J is completed but i spect she watches so caution is recommended if shes about!

Skippy's creamy is The Peanut butter used so no chunks are lurking in the jelly if that makes a difference..

Thank you in advance O wise One for your wisdom on this.

ccmanuals
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmanuals http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=2568292#post2568292)

Damp, by a lot.

Trick Question, they are both the same :)

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I should like to know when i make My PPand J is it proper etiquette to use a spoon to take the peanut butter out of the jar then transferring said spoon to jelly jar thus inserting peanut butter into jelly still existing in jelly jar thus spoiling the Jelly jar for people that just want pure unsoiled jelly?.
There seems to be a bit of controversy here as my wife desires un soiled Jell and harshly accuses me of a most severe Breach of etiquette..I dare not admit i lick the spoon not wanting to wait till the PPand J is completed but i spect she watches so caution is recommended if shes about!

Skippy's creamy is The Peanut butter used so no chunks are lurking in the jelly if that makes a difference..

Thank you in advance O wise One for your wisdom on this.

I read a while back that conflict between parties can be a good thing ... in fact, it means that one or both sides seeks resolution. From here on out, you might consider thinking of your wife's complaining as a positive development. Through conflict, she seeks peace.

I guess you'll need to decide what is more important: licking a spoon or peace.

Jam is good, though.

Paul Pless
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Why does sour cream go bad so fast?

Did Elena Kagan effectively remove herself from the running with an extremely poorly researched position on animal cruelty as it relates to the 1st ammendment?

What boat are ya gonna build next?

bobbys
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I read a while back that conflict between parties can be a good thing ... in fact, it means that one or both sides seeks resolution. From here on out, you might consider thinking of your wife's complaining as a positive development. Through conflict, she seeks peace.

I guess you'll need to decide what is more important: licking a spoon or peace.

Jam is good, though..

You are indeed the Master Sen Say

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Why does sour cream go bad so fast?

Good to see you're still alive.

So, I'm not big into the dairy products, but I always thought sour cream stayed decent for quite a while. Apparently, it's not really gone bad until mold arrives. Then it is bad.

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/ma/3b/sour-cream-goes-bad-1.1-800X800.jpg

Did Elena Kagan effectively remove herself from the running with an extremely poorly researched position on animal cruelty?

Who?

This reminds me of an interview I had at a biotech research lab last fall. During the tour, the fellow who I was talking to quietly said that downstairs is where we keep the small animals that "participate" in the research.

That gave me a funny feeling in my gut, and I suddenly didn't want to work there.

What boat are ya gonna build next?

Still building this one, but when I do, it will likely be another traditional lapstrake. There are so many things about building a small boat that I'd like another crack at, if only to do them better.

Dumah
04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Damp...............moist.......................the gf says depending on...................................:D:D:D ;)

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Who or what is that?

Canoeyawl
04-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Who or what is that?
Eggsactly - We are asking the questions here...

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Very well. Go ahead. On with it then.

huisjen
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Where is Mark, a.k.a. Tyler Durden? What's his phone number? What door will he answer when someone knocks?

What's the best way to protect my new cell phone as it sits in my filthy cargo pocket, yet still have it accessible?

Dan

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Where is Mark, a.k.a. Tyler Durden? What's his phone number? What door will he answer when someone knocks?

What's the best way to protect my new cell phone as it sits in my filthy cargo pocket, yet still have it accessible?

Dan

Personally, I don't care what Tylerdurden is up to. Worrying about that internet fool is a complete waste of time. However, I hope that Mark is living a healthy, happy life full of optimism and grace.

Now, about cell phones ...

I remember my first cell phone. Shortly after I got it, I dropped it into a vat of sweet brown curry. I had that phone for four years. Loved how it smelled.

Sadly, short of actually washing your work clothes once in a while, I think you may have purchased the wrong phone. You obviously need a tougher phone. I think you're a candidate for the Sonim, which can be both dunked underwater and hit with a hammer.

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/689/934689_100128214208_Sonim_xp_3.20_quest.jpg

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
If you have no questions, may I recommend this thread ... (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?t=113376)

capnharv
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Am I too late?

Harvey

Yeadon
04-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Nope.

Captain Blight
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
So, what's it all about, when you get right down to it, I mean really?

Yeadon
04-22-2010, 12:41 AM
You only get one shot at it, and then it's over.

Yeadon
04-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Incidentally, here's a photo of forumite Harry Miller in a bathrobe using a spokeshave to chamfer a thwart (and before breakfast, at that). This is what I'm talking about.

You only get one shot. Use it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4313313117_201a35e8b4.jpg

Captain Blight
04-22-2010, 12:59 AM
That's Smalser in a bathrobe, with a spokeshave, isn't it?

I remember what you said about stretchy pants, all the time. That idea carries a lot of merit, and might serve as rally point for rebuilding civilization.

Yeadon
04-22-2010, 01:05 AM
If you could, please refresh the court on its opinion regarding stretch pants.

Captain Blight
04-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Q: What would you do if you were the last person on earth (or other words to the same effect)

A Stretchy pants. All the time.

varadero
04-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Dear Sir.
Does the fridge light go out when you close the door, and if so how do you know that with out opening said door?
Why is there no light in the freezer section?
Thank you.

Yeadon
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Q: What would you do if you were the last person on earth (or other words to the same effect)

This intent remains in effect.

Dear Sir.
Does the fridge light go out when you close the door, and if so how do you know that with out opening said door?
Why is there no light in the freezer section?
Thank you.

I think this calls for a Flip video experiment. Short of getting into the fridge, this would be one good way to confirm this suspicion.

As far as the freezer, isn't this an energy efficiency question? Wouldn't a light in the freezer create heat ... and that would make things melt? We'll have to turn to our WBF Mensa Board here on exactly how much more energy it takes to keep things One Degree Celsius colder, but I'd think it would be much easier to cool things back to nominal in the fridge than in the freezer.

I don't think the answer is because a light bulb wouldn't work in the freezer. I've worked places with walk-in freezers, and they had light switches on the inside of the freezer so you could flip the light on and off.

Captain Blight
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Should the light switch be mounted on the inside or the outside of the freezer door?

Paul Pless
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Who shot JFK?

S/V Laura Ellen
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I did, why are you asking?

Yeadon
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Should the light switch be mounted on the inside or the outside of the freezer door?

I bet there are government safety standards that guide this. If not, I think there should be at least some sort of override light switch on the inside. Say you got locked in there ... I think to be cold without light would pretty much suck all the hope out of me. But to have a bit of light, then that might keep me going for a bit longer.

Who shot JFK?

John F. Kerry is alive and inconsequential.

I did, why are you asking?

Someone has a little problem with the truth.

How can we get more peps in the PUB?

Go outside. There is hope outside. Forget the pub.

Bobby of Tulsa
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I bet there are government safety standards that guide this. If not, I think there should be at least some sort of override light switch on the inside. Say you got locked in there ... I think to be cold without light would pretty much suck all the hope out of me. But to have a bit of light, then that might keep me going for a bit longer.

John F. Kerry is alive and inconsequential.

Someone has a little problem with the truth.

Go outside. There is hope outside. Forget the pub. What means outside?? Forget the PUB? you are one sick man. :)

Paul Pless
04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Do you know how to perform a cuntsplice?

Yeadon
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Do you know perform a cuntsplice?

No, but familiar.

Harry Miller
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Ever since I posted that picture I've been unable to find that spokeshave. Could it also have been posted into the ether?

BTW my family has expressed dismay that I should be held up as an exemplar. (of just about anything)

Paul Pless
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Do you happen to know where my cell phone is?

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I could call it, if that would help.

botebum
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Who holds the record for being banned the most times(under the same name)?

Doug

Michael D. Storey
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
So I was on a client's roof today, putting together a solution to a leak, It was at his house, not at his business. His 17 year old came out of the shower. She knew I was there. I pretended to not see her (sun glare, etc).

Will I still go to Hell?

Will she be there?

Will she still be 17?

Flying Orca
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes, yes, and no... that's the hell of it. :D

Michael D. Storey
05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Do you know how to perform a cuntsplice?

I remember O'Brian mentioning it. I was reading aloud. Had to prove that I did not make it up in an attempt to make mischief.

James McMullen
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
What should I have for lunch today? I mean, on the existential level, not the physical plane of being, of course.

John of Phoenix
05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
What should I have for lunch today? I mean, on the existential level, not the physical plane of being, of course.Existential level lunch - that has potential as very profitable diet book. Run with it.

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Sushi for the soul.

botebum
05-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I still want the answer to #70.

Doug

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I still want the answer to #70.

Doug

This is a lot like the race for most home runs, a record that Ken Griffey Jr. probably would have smashed if not for his absolute lack of off-season training regiment. I mean, have you seen how chubby he is lately? He's like a late career Kevin Mitchell. In this case, the truly talented got snuffed out early.

Here at the WBF, whoever has been banned the most is doubtfully the most irritating forumite. That's because a lot of you, like you, get banned now and again and yet get to come back. You're really not all that irritating, just a little edgy now and again. The truly talented only get banned once or twice, then it's over.

I'm sorry my brother, but you and the other boys who get banned now and again (see: Blight, especially) are lightweights in the Annals of Banishment. Move on. Find solace elsewhere. It's a useless statistic.

botebum
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, I wasn't exactly hoping for the blue ribbon and I'm not actively pursuing it. I was just wondering where it stood.

Doug

Paul Pless
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
but you're a lightweight in the Annals of Banishmentis that anything like being 'banally anal'?

just asking. . .

botebum
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
How come there's Steak n' Eggs, Pork Chops n' Eggs, Bacon n' Eggs, but not Chicken n' Eggs?

Doug

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
is that anything like being 'banally anal'?

just asking. . .

Nope.

How come there's Steak n' Eggs, Pork Chops n' Eggs, Bacon n' Eggs, but not Chicken n' Eggs?

Doug

Oh, but there is ... here (http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/columbus-ohio.cfm/Food-and-Drink-Downtown-Columbus-Convention-Center/Chicken-%27n-Eggs/id/6119).

StevenBauer
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Pork Chops n' Eggs

Pork Chops n' Eggs? :confused: That's a new one to me. Any of you guys heard of Pork Chops n' Eggs?

Steven

switters
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
oh hell yes! Vern's, right down the road from my last house.

Paul Pless
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Pork Chops n' Eggs? :confused: That's a new one to me. Any of you guys heard of Pork Chops n' Eggs?

StevenYou don't make it to The South much do ya Steven?:D

botebum
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM

StevenAin't from 'round these parts, are ya' boy?:D

Doug

Paul Pless
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/images/doubledown.jpg

That's bacon, egg, and cheese between two chicken fillets - brilliant!

bobbys
05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
How come when i play "dodgeball" im the first one they go after and they all laugh and jeer me on my way off the court?

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I've had pork chops n' eggs at Waffle House in at least two different states. Not that this Frontiersman is bragging or anything. I did live for nearly seven whole years in Vero Beach, FL and Greensboro, NC.

Mmmmm. (http://www.wafflehouse.com/welcome/images/stories/elements/FY10-OP13_ALC_no-pricing1.jpg)

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
How come when i play "dodgeball" im the first one they go after and they all laugh and jeer me on my way off the court?

Three possible reasons:

A) You are the biggest threat.
B) You're a pain in the ass.
C) Both.

botebum
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah Paul, Sandwiches like that make the nickname 'Hey Fatass' a little less painful to bear:D

Doug

Paul Pless
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I've had pork chops n' eggs at Waffle House before or after midnight?

yes that's a philosophical question:D

Paul Pless
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah Paul, Sandwiches like that make the nickname 'Hey Fatass' a little less painful to bear:D

Dougroflmao

botebum
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I've had pork chops n' eggs at Waffle House ...I was in a Waffle House once where there was a waitress with all her teeth. Amazin'!

Doug

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
before or after midnight?

yes that's a philosophical question:D

Bars don't close until 2 a.m. in both Indian River and Guilford counties, and no one goes until last call. One tip, pick your seat carefully at the counter, or else the dirty dishwater from the sink will spray your food. Gross.

botebum
05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
One tip, pick your seat carefully at the counter, or else the dirty dishwater from the sink will spray your food. Gross.True, too true.

Doug

johnw
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM

So, if we all leave, he promises to start wearing pants?

What's the point?

Yeadon
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
So, if we all leave, he promises to start wearing pants?

What's the point?

First off, if I'm the last person on Earth, I can do what I want. Second, the last person on Earth never has to explain himself.

"What's the point?" could not be any less relevant, sir.

capnharv
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
If you're the last person on earth, what does that make the rest of us?

botebum
05-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Extinct

Doug

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 12:18 AM
sorry.

BETTY-B
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Where's a guy gotta go, in the Seattle area, to find a real cheap surgical suture kit? The fishing line/sewing needle thing was a bit much after my "accident". And 24 hours later is cool, right?

DAN

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Did I miss it? I'm still looking for an answer to the cuntsplice. For the record, you evaded that one.

I think I may have read something about it in The Stranger once.

James McMullen
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I have no idea what they're talking about here. This doesn't look much like a splice at all!

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/c/cu/cuntsplice.gif

And don't get me started on the so-called "snatch-block"!

Captain Blight
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I did live for nearly seven whole years in Vero Beach, FL
Huh. I lived in Sebastian for a couple myownself.

So... Why are Republicans the way they are? And what can we do to make them stop?

Peerie Maa
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Did I miss it? I'm still looking for an answer to the cuntsplice. For the record, you evaded that one.

Someone is being provocative. In polite circles that is spelt with an "o" as in contline.

Yeadon, when rowing with crossed oars, are you right over left or left over right?

Captain Blight
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm still looking for an answer to the cuntsplice. Well, we know it shouldn't take any time at all for a man o' war's bosun. It was in the main breeching rope (if I'm not mistaken) and fitted around the cascabel. Still used on messenger lines (or should be), about 15" up from the monkey's fist.

johnw
05-05-2010, 04:03 PM
First off, if I'm the last person on Earth, I can do what I want. Second, the last person on Earth never has to explain himself.

"What's the point?" could not be any less relevant, sir.
I'm pretty sure it could be.

StevenBauer
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
So I asked just about everyone I met today and not a one had ever heard of Pork Chops n' Eggs.

Is this a breakfast food? And how do you cook the eggs?

Steven

Peerie Maa
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Fried, its an alternative to a pineapple ring. However the British cut is gammon steak rather than a chop.

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Where's a guy gotta go, in the Seattle area, to find a real cheap surgical suture kit? The fishing line/sewing needle thing was a bit much after my "accident". And 24 hours later is cool, right?

DAN

In town, not sure, but I just looked and they're $27.95 on Amazon. Pretty cool.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NTht%2BpoKL._AA300_.jpg

Did I ever tell you about my first girlfriend? I was in the 8th grade, and she was in the 7th. We met on the bus, and she was awful cute. (She was also my first kiss. We were on a couch in her friend's basement. I remember it like it happened five minutes ago.) We only dated for a month or so, but I still remember that she was probably one of the funkier, more creative girls I've ever dated.

Anyways, a few years ago I was at a friend's place watching the teevee when a music awards show came on, and yup, there she was, a backup singer in a somewhat famous band. I hadn't seen her in 20+ years, but searching online confirmed my suspicion.

Here she is ... Ana Matronic of the Scissor Sisters.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/15/scissorsisters_narrowweb__300x312,0.jpg

Scissor Sisters, of course, is another term for lesbian sex, of sorts. Cuntsplice reminded me of this story.

And now, here's a definition of cuntsplice.

cut splice (originally called cunt splice) - A splice similar to the eye splice. It is typically used for light lines (e.g., the log-line) where a single splice would tend to come undone, the rope being frequently wet.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_splicing#cite_note-falconer-0) It makes a very strong knot. A cut splice is a join between two ropes, made by side splicing the ends slightly apart, to make an eye in the joined rope which lies shut when the rope is taut. Its original name was bowdlerised (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bowdler) to "cut splice".
Huh. I lived in Sebastian for a couple myownself.

So... Why are Republicans the way they are? And what can we do to make them stop?

Quit giving them money.

Someone is being provocative. In polite circles that is spelt with an "o" as in contline.

Yeadon, when rowing with crossed oars, are you right over left or left over right?

Right over left when I'm in a nice rhythm. Neither when I'm freaked out. Then my form disappears and I become a system of torque versus a system of efficiency.

botebum
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
So I asked just about everyone I met today and not a one had ever heard of Pork Chops n' Eggs.

Is this a breakfast food? And how do you cook the eggs?

StevenJack ... um, I mean Steven, you'll meet more people if you leave the house:p
Eggs- usually fried
Chops- usually fried or country fried(battered and deep fried), can be grilled
Sides- grits, shrimp 'n grits, home fries.
I've seen people have fatback as a side but that is usually a dinner(lunch to you) or supper side.

It should be noted that in the south mac 'n cheese, tater salad and macaroni salad are vegetables. 'Nanner Puddin' can be served as a vegetable or a dessert. To be a dessert it must have Nilla Wafers. As a vegetable it's not required.
Come down sometime and we'll go to Big E's. You can get the buffet or a meat 'n three.
Ya' clear now?

Doug

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
I have no idea what they're talking about here. This doesn't look much like a splice at all!

http://image.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/c/cu/cuntsplice.gif

And don't get me started on the so-called "snatch-block"!

Mmm. Frilly at both ends. I like it. Can it be turned sideways?

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Right over left when I'm in a nice rhythm. Neither when I'm freaked out. Then my form disappears and I become a system of torque versus a system of efficiency.

Still thinking about that old girlfriend, eh?
Let her go, man. Let her go.

Captain Blight
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Why do you do these threads, Tim?

seanz
05-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Do they add splice to your life?

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Yeadon -
Are you a working class hero?

Harry Miller
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Tim's far too modest to answer this so I will:
'Cause he knows everything.

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 07:01 PM

I really don't like the search function here. It's just easier if you bring your concerns to me, versus me coming to you.

Still thinking about that old girlfriend, eh?
Let her go, man. Let her go.

Three. Two. One.

Done.

Do they add splice to your life?

Not bad. B+

Yeadon -
Are you a working class hero?

I've reviewed the lyrics, and I've yet to learn to smile while I kill. So, technically, no.

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Tim --
How am I going to make this old vinyl car-top look like new?

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Tim --
Under what circumstances would this Tek-9 clash with these sneakers, fashionwise?
http://www.law-17.com/images/tek9.JPG
http://pics.ae.com/is/image/aeo/0214_4695_001_f?$pdp-265$
Would they be OK for a Greek riot, for example?

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Tim --
How am I going to make this old vinyl car-top look like new?

Tim --
Under what circumstances would this Tek-9 clash with these sneakers, fashionwise?
http://www.law-17.com/images/tek9.JPG
http://pics.ae.com/is/image/aeo/0214_4695_001_f?$pdp-265$
Would they be OK for a Greek riot, for example?

I sense Mensa (special disaffected hipster edition) Questions creeping back into the question thread. Remember, I'm here to serve you. Not dance on cue.

seanz
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Not bad. B+

But not good either? Any helpful hints?

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Tim --
Are you going to paint the ends of Big Food's spars yellow, just to annoy James McMullen? And add a black band per Blighty's recommendation?

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I have been speaking with George Kirby on a regular basis. We are trying to find just the correct hue of Royal Navy Yellow.

James McMullen gave up any rights toward aesthetic judgment somewhere around the construction of his 23rd Bolger box.

C. Ross
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Wither aesthetics?

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Wither aesthetics?

Nice, and I raise you "aesthetic entropy."

I, Rowboat
05-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Tim --
Which is sublimely sexier?

Julie Andrews as the firm but fun-loving nanny in Mary Poppins, or

Julie Andrews as the absent-minded lapsed nun in The Sound Of Music

C. Ross
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
The second law of thermodynamics, applied to art, explains everything on TV.

How do you see it, Mr. Yeadon?

Yeadon
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Tim --
Which is sublimely sexier?

Julie Andrews as the firm but fun-loving nanny in Mary Poppins, or

Julie Andrews as the absent-minded lapsed nun in The Sound Of Music

Probably the nanny. The whole nun thing is weird. However, if there is a third option, then I choose Mary Tyler Moore from the original Dick Van Dyke Show.

http://redriverautographs.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/039_70073mary-tyler-moore-posters.jpg

The second law of thermodynamics, applied to art, explains everything on TV.

How do you see it, Mr. Yeadon?

I haven't watched television regularly since Clay Aiken was robbed on American Idol. That was the moment in which television simply became too big for itself and began shaking itself apart at the seams. A pivotal moment. A tipping point.

I guess I would have to agree.

C. Ross
05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Capri pants, then?

I, Rowboat
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Mr. Yeadon -

You have been more than generous with your time. On behalf of the Forum, I wish to thank you for your valuable insights.
Good day.

-- I, Rowboat

Captain Blight
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Capri pants, then?We wheelmen prefer them to be termed pedal-pushers. But you need a shapely calf and a well-turned ankle to be able to wear them well.

Also: Mr Yeadon, are you now or have you ever been in posession of a mustache to call your own?

C. Ross
05-06-2010, 10:12 PM
We wheelmen prefer them to be termed pedal-pushers.

How about clam-diggers? Kinda racy and a little nudge-nudge, wink-wink, doncha think?

James McMullen
05-06-2010, 10:21 PM
James McMullen gave up any rights toward aesthetic judgment somewhere around the construction of his 23rd Bolger box.

Always judging me on my ill-spent past? Have you no pity in your soul, sir? I have been trying to atone. Not a single sheet of CDX or even a solitary pneumatic staple was harmed in the construction of this wineglass gig stern--I swear!

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/46596/2199512020105767272S600x600Q85.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2199512020105767272cpDeoI)

The yellow tips I am actually ambivalent shading towards genuinely apathetic about. . . .

C. Ross
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
From the ridiculous to the sublime....that is dead gorgeous work, James. Wow.

Lew Barrett
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
From the ridiculous to the sublime....that is dead gorgeous work, James. Wow.

Yeah, fantastic work as expected, but wine glass? More like an ass crack as revealed by a very skimpy bikini!
A very fine ass, mind you.

Captain Blight
05-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Maybe Vince could run up some knotwork for the rudderpost head that looks like a tramp-stamp tattoo.

C. Ross
05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Put that wineglass gig stern in a pair of clam-diggers, and I'd hit it.

purri
05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
look whatcha did you my clam digger! (an old punchline)

Lew Barrett
05-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Put that wineglass gig stern in a pair of clam-diggers, and I'd hit it.

Speaking of woodies....groin...er..... groan. Or is it a groan crotch?

WBF Scrabble with this one?

James McMullen
05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
That gig is a collaborative effort. I'm mostly just there to supervise the shoddy and lackadaisical efforts of the minions. . . . . . . . .

(Just like on those boat trips I've taken with Tim and Chad.)

:eek:! Ooooo, Smack Daddy in da house!

pcford
05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Probably the nanny. The whole nun thing is weird. However, if there is a third option, then I choose Mary Tyler Moore from the original Dick Van Dyke Show.

hmmm. mouth too big. yes.

I haven't watched television regularly since Clay Aiken was robbed on American Idol. That was the moment in which television simply became too big for itself and began shaking itself apart at the seams. A pivotal moment. A tipping point.

Just what seam was it? Just curious.

By the way, I would certainly prefer it if this place did not have so much talk about boats. Mr. Yeadon perhaps you WILL lead us to a better place.

Paul Pless
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Tim, will there be a thread dedicated to a certain Seattle native's recent experience at Mystic? (with photos of course)

Paul Pless
05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
bump

Yeadon
05-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Tim, will there be a thread dedicated to a certain Seattle native's recent experience at Mystic? (with photos of course)

In short, Mystic can best be described as Boat Nerd Fantasy Camp. Though so is a weekend on Big Food.

I went on Saturday, getting there around 10:30 a.m. and staying until nearly close. I took a bunch of photos. Here's a couple.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4588887257_a552897425.jpg

Below, I walked around a corner and immediately knew this boat. Araminta. I think they were splashing boats all day.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/4592186440_dccc40c5a8.jpg

Below, I saw the Charles S. Morgan.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4592189710_17411af4c9.jpg

And went inside, where people were working in the bilge.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4591552067_17f9500768.jpg

I also saw the Morgan's cafe.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4592202974_9d8010253a.jpg

The Seaport is a bit larger than CWB. They even have their own garbage truck.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4591573989_f02dca7672.jpg

I have more photos on my phone. I'll upload them later.

Paul Pless
05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
In short, Mystic can best be described as Boat Nerd Fantasy Camp. Bingo, I love the place!
Below, I walked around a corner and immediately knew this boat. Araminta. I think they were splashing boats all day.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/4592186440_dccc40c5a8.jpgOne of my absolute favorite boats. She's just stunningly well proportioned!

C. Ross
05-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Mr. Yeadon, why did you come to Mystic 6 weeks before the WBS, when we could have done this in person, press conference style? Sheesh. Better be a goooood explanation.

Yeadon
05-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Who said I wasn't going to be at Mystic in six weeks?

C. Ross
05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm gobsmacked.

Paul Pless
05-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm gobsmacked.doesn't look like kat and i are gonna make it this year:(