PDA

View Full Version : Firefly

ishmael
04-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Lord, they were all over the place when I was wee. Luciferin, the thang that makes their candle burn. Where are they now? Maybe in Ohio they still sing.

Luciferin. The light bearer. Lucifer, though Christians have a parting of the ways there.

"The difference between the right word, and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." Twain

Glen Longino
04-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Good Lord!

Captain Intrepid
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
And here I was hoping for a discussion about...

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9098/fireflymmo.jpg

james burt
04-20-2010, 11:18 AM
great show, wished they would not have cancelled it.

and yes, i remember coming home over the levee's and looked like glowing fog
these days, on a good night, maybe a dozen or so.

bamamick
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
One of my favorite shows of all time, and 'Serenity' is one of my favourite movies! I have them all on dvd. Would not Kaylee have been the coolest girlfriend ever?

I also have fireflies in my yard all the time. Maybe they like swamp gas?

Mickey Lake

Captain Blight
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Would not Kaylee have been the coolest girlfriend ever?
the "Prairie Harpy?" With her love of fresh fruit (nice touch for her character; I bet i'd get all flipped-out after a few weeks in the black, too) and her heart so true? Absolutely, particularly after some extended girlchat with The Companion!

Still lots of fireflies in the Midwest. I know what Ish says about the fog in the low valleys seeming like its glowing from all the fireflies. It's pretty darn kewl.

WX
04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
One of my favorite shows of all time, and 'Serenity' is one of my favourite movies! I have them all on dvd. Would not Kaylee have been the coolest girlfriend ever?

I also have fireflies in my yard all the time. Maybe they like swamp gas?

Mickey Lake
Very much yes to the first.:D
We have fireflies in August through to early September. Used to be just September but with milder winters they've been kicking in earlier.

ishmael
04-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Interesting topic, to this midwestern kid anyway.

Populations of any animal wax and wane. When I was young , living in the flood plains of the Ohio rivers, there were a bunch of these critters. They lit the night, in a unique way that was absolutely beautiful. Couldn't make it up, anymore than you could make up the swish of a cat's tail.

Is it important? I suppose not. But I do wonder where they went.

sailboy3
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Designed by Uffa Fox in 1938.