PDA

View Full Version : Posting under an assumed name

James McMullen
04-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I think that if you really believe in what you say or write, then you should be willing to identify yourself up front. I'm definitely not talking about those who post here under a nickname but are open and upfront about who they are, I'm specifically talking about those who hide behind an online pseudonym and refuse to take complete responsibility for what they post.

If you're not willing to take personal responsibility for what you say, they why the hell should any of the rest of us believe a word you said?

Please show integrity.

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Jeesh, I agree with both James and Norman :eek: Earthquakes , volcanoes , surely we are close to the end :D

SMARTINSEN
04-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Kaa will be along very shortly to defend anonymity.

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Kaa will be along very shortly to defend anonymity.

You could start us off Smart:rolleyes:

seanz
04-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you really hiding if nobody can be bothered looking?

James McMullen
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I agree with both James and Norman

C'mon over to the dark side, Paul! :D

Seriously, though, even though we don't often agree on stuff all that much, isn't it vastly better to know with whom you're disagreeing so that you can at least try to find some commonality? When you are faced with some totally anonymous personality who has nothing whatsoever to stop them from innuendo, slander or flat out lies, the entire level of discourse is degraded.

I often don't agree with you Paul, but I'm pleased as punch to have gotten to meet you in person. We are part of this community together. But these anonymous trolls are simply parasites on our community--taking without giving anything back.

bob winter
04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I think this whole thing has been covered before. I don't agree with the current forum policy but it's really up to the administrators.

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I often don't agree with you Paul, but I'm pleased as punch to have gotten to meet you in person. We are part of this community together. But these anonymous trolls are simply parasites on our community--taking without giving anything back.

Same here James , now that brother of yours , who I've never met, he one of those anonymous trolls , so what about him? Mr. I,Rowboat:rolleyes:

ron ll
04-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Isn't Kaa just using his initials? I see that's also how he signs his photos.

Ian McColgin
04-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree with the policy that allows one to post anonymously if one wants.

Firstly, it's a part of our grand free speech tradition.

Secondly, it means that the written work stands on its own with no reference to what one thinks of the author outside of what we see right here. Unless one actually meets another, this is the case whether the name you see is real or not.

Thirdly, it allows professionals to participate without extraneous assumptions about their work, the value of their remarks, or whatever. Not all professionals avail themselves of that, for which I am grateful, but if one looks at the courtesy, thoughtful expression, and avoidance of self-promotion of our known professional members - Todd Bradshaw, Michael Mason and Andrew Craig-Bennet to name but three - one can imagine that a certain longing for anonymity at times is not a strange desire.

Fourthly, it allows for some to try out different voices, especially in the Bilge. I really don't think it worth proof-texting or word analysis to determine if someone is showing up under a new handle after banning, but no doubt that happens. No matter the cycle of incarnation, they remain cockroaches. But perhaps there are also some who like to argue both sides and have different Forum names for their different personae. Fine by me.

Does anyone really know who he or she is anyway?

downthecreek
04-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I shall keep my screen name. There are people here who know me personally, but I had an experience some years ago when a real sicko started to stalk me. His e mails were some of the most nauseating things I have ever seen. I'm not easily shocked, but they shocked me. By using a screen name I can at least make life a little more difficult for that kind of scum. There are plenty of them on the net.

It makes no difference to me what name people use. Whether or not they use their real name, I only know them from interactions here and they only know me that way. I have only one identity.

Maybe I could give myself a forename and a surname - perhaps even my real name - but it really wouldn't give people I haven't met, and almost certainly never will meet, any better idea of who I am than the name I now use.

Peerie Maa
04-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Does anyone really know who he or she is anyway?

I'm pink, therefore I'm spam.

James McMullen
04-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Now c'mon, Paul! You might have suspected that a brother of mine might find that a hard thing to live down. :rolleyes:

I, Rowboat has never deliberately obscured his name, his place of residence, his occupation or nothin'! Ol' Chad is simply misanthropic enough to avoid most human contact unless provoked, that's all.

ishmael
04-17-2010, 01:15 PM
I wish I was more anonymous.

While in general I think it's good to be up front, my experience here has given me pause about saying who I am, the particulars. I've been threatened, accused, for no good reason. It sticks in my craw, and would be easier to swallow if I was completely anonymous.

In real life no one likes a liar, but here in cyberspace they are accepted as if nothing had happened. If you want to know the details PM me. Van Morrison is singing "Brown Eyed Girl" on the radio, so it's difficult to be angry. LOL.

bob winter
04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
One thing I never considered when I joined was the possibility of stalkers, nutcases and the like. An interesting comment on modern society, I guess. I really can't see how anybody could be worked up enough by an internet forum to take actual action but I guess it could happen. Ish says it has and so have others, as I recall. If I were to sign up today, I might not use my real name, but, then again, maybe I'm not. How could anybody tell for sure?

seanz
04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Amongst other things........

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I am what I am
I can't help myself
And if you don't like it
Get with somebody else
I'll never change my ways
It's not a phase
This is how it is and this is how it's gonna stay
Because

Captain Intrepid
04-17-2010, 02:40 PM
There's a great number of people here with whom I would like to meet, but I would prefer there to be some separation between my personal life and my online life. Partly because I've seen people fired for what they've said online, and some pretty innocuous stuff too. I'd rather keep that risk down to a minimum. I wouldn't have any trouble with most members here knowing who I am, but I'd rather not broadcast it out to the world.

bobbys
04-17-2010, 02:46 PM
When i wandered in from the rain i stated who i was and what i did yet i was roundly mocked and accused of being Dutch and no body believed me.

Then people put me on Ignore proudly proclaiming the matter.

Perhaps i deserve it though.

However I do know i can be a wise guy yet theres a line i will not cross , That is If i say something bad i should be able to say it to someone personally or its sorta chickenpoop.

I know i never crossed this line as im sure theres more then a few people with there finger on the report button.

Given statements by some here that if one voted for Bush they would receive a severe beating if met one wonders although i do take into account moments of passion.

Still i would not feel welcome at any gathering because of my political beliefs..

A bit sad as theres no one here i can say i dislike and should like to meet.

paladin
04-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I welcome a nutcase or two...the barrels of my weapons need cleaning out.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I welcome a nutcase or two...the barrels of my weapons need cleaning out.

What Chuck said......LMAO!!!!

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after me.

Bruce Taylor
04-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I used to object to pseudonyms on the forum. At one point, eight or nine years ago, a few of us posted our address & phone numbers, and I had some nice calls from strangers in faraway places.

As the forum got bigger and meaner, some of the uglier political stuff began to spill out into people's real lives. A few forumites have received threatening phone calls. At least one ex-spouse received an anonymous package in the maill. One guy claimed to have reported another to the FBI, and threatened to have his army buddies rough up one of his political adversaries (empty threats, I'm sure, but creepy). There were other incidents, and they were enough to change my views on anonymous logins. I'm pleased to be here as myself, wearing the name I was given at birth, but I do understand why some people might want to preserve their anonymity.

htom
04-17-2010, 03:26 PM
I've been stalked. It doesn't have anything to do with the victim, really, it's usually a thing that exists solely in the stalker's mind. There isn't any real way to avoid one; some of them delight in finding people who are trying not to be public people. "HTom" was made up by a boss decades ago to distinguish me from several other people named "Tom", and it's stuck, with minor variations, since then.

ishmael
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
What Bruce said.

At the time I signed on here it was a small enclave of people who liked wooden boats, and chatting about this and that. It was more open. Now...I'm much more guarded about personal info.

I've lost a naivete about the web. These letters I scribble span the globe, and who knows? Sad, but them's the facts.

hokiefan
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I post using a pseudonym because of my kids primarily. The internet (and the real world) can be a strange place sometimes, and a little care is warranted. I've never had a problem, and my nature generally doesn't lead to problems, but again there are a small group of bizarre people in this world. I have seen a few unsavory things here on the WBF.

It turns out I knew one of the regular forumites before I joined the forum. We worked together several times in a past life. I have met several forumites for a meal or two, and thoroughly enjoyed their company. They know my full name. I hope to meet more over time.

If a person posts with a little respect for others, I don't care what they call themselves.

Cheers,

Bobby

Bill R
04-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm here (sort of) under my real name. My full last name isn't posted just to make it a little harder to find me, as my last name isn't very common. There are many on this forum who know me personally and who I have had the honor of sailing, building boats and bending elbows with. If anyone ever asks, I will gladly give my full name.

Also, I wouldn't ever say anything here I wouldn't say directly to someone's face.

Stan D
04-17-2010, 04:11 PM
I'll admit that in my earlier forum memberships, I didn't use my name. Not because I was hiding anything, but it seemed it was neat to use something that meant something in each interest. For example, in a motorcycle forum, I used the product code for the bike I have. I did use something weird in one Ham radio forum, but those folks are crazy(not Hams, just this one forum).

This thread has begged one question in my head: Is OrangeAfroMan here using a pseudonym?:D

johnw
04-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I have no problem with pseudonyms on the internet. I take as I find, treating people based on how they treat me, and if someone wants me to know who they are, we can chat away from the forum. I'm reminded of a line from P.G. Wodehouse:

"You gave him a fake name?"
"Just an ordinary business precaution," Ukridge said.

donald branscom
04-17-2010, 04:29 PM
I tend to agree... although it's not without risks. Some nutcase participant here might go 'postal' over your opinions, and track you down.... in terms of one participant here, I was actually a bit worried about that.

But, in general, I don't think the risks are more significant that the honesty engendered by using one's own name. In a few cases, there are folks here who do use an alias, but whose real identity is well known... I don't see anything wrong with that.

Obama checks in here occasionally.. Let me see that alias was?????? It will come to me hold on...

donald branscom
04-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Well I guess I'm dead meat.

PeterSibley
04-17-2010, 05:22 PM
One thing I never considered when I joined was the possibility of stalkers, nutcases and the like. An interesting comment on modern society, I guess. I really can't see how anybody could be worked up enough by an internet forum to take actual action but I guess it could happen. Ish says it has and so have others, as I recall. If I were to sign up today, I might not use my real name, but, then again, maybe I'm not. How could anybody tell for sure?

I did consider the possibility of nutters , but Australia is a gentler place than the good ole USA and I don't feel I give that much offence to fools ,I try to avoid them .

If I argue with someone with differing political views ,it's a sign of respect ...otherwise I'd laugh and walk away shaking my virtual head .

Bob Adams
04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
My info says it all. Name and hailing port.Then you have Gronicle-less folks like Ill Jay who will post neither.

paul oman
04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I keep trying to stay out of the bilge... this time I'm going to try a lot harder. The forum is a much nicer place in all the non bilge sections...
We right wingers are less than welcome down here.....

post a product or repair question and I will send a private email to you if I think I can help.... - I have been doing this for several years.... Hopefully I'm out of here!

sailboy3
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
IF you're content to stay out of the bilge, using your real name shouldn't be a problem. I use a screen name out of habit but anyone could easily find my real name in my profile info.

Lew Barrett
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I think there's a specific case or circumstance that is being referenced here;
namely making accusations about somebody else's integrity from behind a curtain of anonymity. That's punk in my view.

People have every right to do whatever they want, say whatever they want and either pretend to be whomever they want or protect their real identities however they wish, and I have ever right to make of that whatever I wish. If I am inclined to believe that somebody is using a pseudonym to avoid being pursued by a stalker, I can think that of them. If I elect to believe that they are unwilling to back words with face and personality and that their words therefore mean a bit less, I may think that as well.

But there is another thing I can say about WBF and anonymity. The anonymous in this crowd will never know what it's like to meet at Lefty's or at my place or anywhere else with the mates here and share some fun at an EBS in the clear. It can't happen if they wish to remain anonymous. Therefore most will relinquish the better part of a real and vibrant community in exchange for their anonymity.

I have had it said to me: "I have friends, I don't really need any more."
I feel sorry for the miserable bastards who feel that way. For them, friendship is a limited commodity.

wizbang 13
04-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Wizbang 13 is the name of one of my boats.Luv and kissus, Bruce.

Canoez
04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I post under a pseudonym for my own reasons. While here, I do, for the most part, avoid the political, religious and threads that I feel are there solely to attack or to run rough-shod over another person or their character. I try to treat others in the way that I would wish to be treated and as others have mentioned, I wouldn't post anything here that I wouldn't say to you in person. Sometimes, I do tend to post things that may be a bit tongue-in-cheek, and if that has offended anyone here, I apologize.

This medium is difficult to navigate for some and a smiley or two goes a long way towards clarifying that a thought or word wasn't meant with malice.

I'm here for the camaraderie, to learn more about wood and boats, and to share what I know and teach about with those who have an interest in those things. Should you appear at a boat show, school, Lefty's or other boat-related event, I'm more than pleased to shake your hand, introduce myself by my given name and to spend a great day.

Otherwise, if my posting under a pseudonym doesn't bother you or affect your point of view of me as a person, what's the bother?

I have to add that I think this is a wonderful community and to see people doing things like Norm Messier did, things that Lew and others did for folks like Meer, Margo, Ken and others that are really beyond the call of duty and impress me profoundly.

Duncan Gibbs
04-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Without looking it up on Google, who can tell me who this author really is?

Lord Charles Albert Florian.

Okay, here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Female_authors_who_wrote_under_male_or_ge nder-neutral_pseudonyms) to a bunch of others who have all written under either pseudonyms or gender neutral names.

Here's a bunch of artists who made their point by being anonymous.

http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/guerilla-girls.jpg

Here's another artist who also thrives on anonymity:

http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/photos/banksy_tesco_pledge_your_allegiance.jpg

Whilst I have no particular desire to be anonymous or known either way (although my first log-in name before Scot changed it was 'Duncan Disorderly' :D) I don't see why the validity of any particular statement made by any particular member should be contested purely on the grounds that that member uses a pseudonym.

I do, however, have problems with trolls and idiots who do hide behind pseudonyms in order to think they are somehow "getting away with it" since a stupid post still remains a stupid post whether the author's name is known or not.

Paul Pless
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Okay Dunc... out with it man, what's your real name?:rolleyes:

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 08:16 PM

But there is another thing I can say about WBF and anonymity. The anonymous in this crowd will never know what it's like to meet at Lefty's or at my place or anywhere else with the mates here and share some fun at an EBS in the clear. It can't happen if they wish to remain anonymous. Therefore most will relinquish the better part of a real and vibrant community in exchange for their anonymity.

And then theres lib-5, whom you've met, yet he's afraid of his real name. IMO he's a punk, not that my opinion means squat.

Duncan Gibbs
04-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I feel sorry for the miserable bastards who feel that way. For them, friendship is a limited commodity.

I'll disagree with you there Lew, and strongly too. There are a good number of members who, whilst remaining anonymous online have strong 'face-to-face' friendships with other members off-line. I don't really think on-line anonymity is automatically concomitant with a lack of friendship, either on-line or in the analogue world.

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Now c'mon, Paul! You might have suspected that a brother of mine might find that a hard thing to live down. :rolleyes:

I, Rowboat has never deliberately obscured his name, his place of residence, his occupation or nothin'! Ol' Chad is simply misanthropic enough to avoid most human contact unless provoked, that's all.

How so?

Yes he has James, and no I can't find the exact post , but he sure has bitched about you 'outing him' at least once.

I rank him right up there with Lib-5,,,,,,,, well I guess that would be "down there with Lib-5" :p

It's easy to see why , from his postings , that he's avoided human contact most of his life.

Duncan Gibbs
04-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Okay Dunc... out with it man, what's your real name?:rolleyes:

L Francis Nathaniel Herreshoff Atkin Strange Fiffe!

You may now bow down and wash my feet! :D

Lew Barrett
04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I think some of the pseudonyms are charming. I have always loved "Domesticated Mr Know it All" for example. You had to be there, eh? Or people who go by their boat names...or folks who simply have a pseudonym they like that stands in front of a character I like. Hi Canoez!

The ones that seem dodgy to me are the folks who come here mostly with a political agenda and very little by way of a boating purpose and then make a habit of being antagonistic or highly partisan without either identifying themselves or sharing anything of themselves beyond their snarkiness or pointed and jabbing 'humor" which in fact is rarely funny. Note how folks like that are rarely self effacing...always on the offensive and never conciliatory. That's the kind of anonymous persona I can easily live without.

Often people who start out anonymously make themselves known in both word and deed (and name) in time and I do understand the desire for a bit of caution when reputations and even jobs can be at stake if folks say the wrong things in public. Which might be the best reason of all to use your real name on the forum.

It makes you think twice before you throw something "out there" for the world to see. And that is an obligation not without benefit.

Lew Barrett
04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I'll disagree with you there Lew, and strongly too. There are a good number of members who, whilst remaining anonymous online have strong 'face-to-face' friendships with other members off-line. I don't really think on-line anonymity is automatically concomitant with a lack of friendship, either on-line or in the analogue world.

I mean this literally as written Dunc. It's for people who say "I don't need any more friends." Those who have pseudonyms but are prepared to engage in new relationships are not those by definition. Do you understand my meaning and get the difference?

Mrleft8
04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I will assume for the sake of a good saturday night guffaw. that you are referencing me, Lew...... :D

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I will assume for the sake of a good saturday night guffaw. that you are referencing me, Lew...... :D

It's not ALWAYS about you Doug! But in this case it may well be:eek:

Mrleft8
04-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, C'mon Paul! You know everyone wonders who I really am!....;)

Lew Barrett
04-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Paul, I know LJB's name (first anyway) but can't share it because he reserves that for himself.

I do appreciate that there really is a Paul Girouard however unlikely that last name's spelling is, and beneath your combative nature there rests a really decent person who is a good guy to have a meal with on at a small, remote town on a little island in Puget Sound! All we can do is be who we are. Everyone else gets to be who they are, and we are allowed to judge accordingly.

Canoez
04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I think some of the pseudonyms are charming. I have always loved "Domesticated Mr Know it All" for example. You had to be there, eh? Or people who go by their boat names...or folks who simply have a pseudonym they like that stands in front of a character I like. Hi Canoez!

Hi Lew! :::Waving from the cheap seats:::

Lew Barrett
04-17-2010, 08:36 PM

You are the one person I know who actually has enough friends!

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh, C'mon Paul! You know everyone wonders who I really am!....

No we wonder WHERE you are when they order a drink in the pub , thats what we wonder.:rolleyes: I guy could die of thirst in that place.

BTW nice china cabinet, a bit wild with the grain, but the work was great from what I could see.

Space those photo's by a few spacer bar clicks , spread-um out, thats what Plessner was saying , I think it was PP anyway.

Mrleft8
04-17-2010, 08:41 PM
you broke your tap pulling finger?....... pull yer own damn beer!

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Paul, I know LJB's name (first anyway) but can't share it because he reserves that for himself.

Wow he's that anal he didn't give his last name in a face to face meeting, weird IMO.

I do appreciate that there really is a Paul Girouard however unlikely that last name's spelling is,

Blame it on the French, they must really like vowels :D

and beneath your combative nature

Combative , who me ???

there rests a really decent person who is a good guy to have a meal with on at a small, remote town on a little island

Little island, no way Whidbey's the longest island in CONUS , don't let Jim Ledger fool you with that "Long Island" BS , he lives on a peninsula:D

in Puget Sound! All we can do is be who we are. Everyone else gets to be who they are, and we are allowed to judge accordingly.

Tooter Turtle says , 'Be who you are, not who you wanta be.' or some such. :)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I think that if you really believe in what you say or write, then you should be willing to identify yourself up front. I'm definitely not talking about those who post here under a nickname but are open and upfront about who they are, I'm specifically talking about those who hide behind an online pseudonym and refuse to take complete responsibility for what they post.

If you're not willing to take personal responsibility for what you say, they why the hell should any of the rest of us believe a word you said?

Please show integrity.

I had a guy threaten me with survivalist/patriot visits a few years ago on here... so Norm is right about risks. I don't care too much, but it made me take certain preparations. As for the rest, I agree, but you won't change the net. It is a refuge for anonymous whiners and gripers and nutbars.

Duncan Gibbs
04-17-2010, 08:52 PM
So are the letters pages of most of the daily newspapers! :D

Typhoon
04-17-2010, 10:18 PM
I've had a nutjob off a motorcycle forum turn up at my work and try to wind me up into a fist fight, didn't work.
So, yeah, I'll just keep using a nickname, if people really want to contact me and know who I am, it's all just a PM away.

Regards, Andrew.

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 10:27 PM
It's really amazing how this guy gets to all y'all! Kinda funny in a way.

He doesn't really "get to" me Fred , but the conversation lead his way. I don't read very many of his postings these days.

JimD
04-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I've had a nutjob off a motorcycle forum turn up at my work and try to wind me up into a fist fight, didn't work.
So, yeah, I'll just keep using a nickname, if people really want to contact me and know who I am, it's all just a PM away.

Regards, Andrew.

So is it Typhoon Andrew or Andrew Typhoon? I Googled both and found two very different people.

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Fred Z;2565373]I think I have to call you on that one, Paul. The conversation was nowhere near him, until Bob felt the need to throw out an unattached insult. Then Brad and you picked it up, and kept it going. You don't read many of his postings these days, yet you still think he's a 'punk', and others can be ranked 'down there' with him? And you have to post that?

QUOTE]

I was responding to Lew Barrett's post as he's met LIB-5.

You can call me on what ever you want Fred, thats part of the Internet.

I've read enough of his posts to know theres nothing he's got to say that I want to read.

leikec
04-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Quote - "Just seems a waste of time and energy"

I agree....

Jeff C

Paul Girouard
04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote - "Just seems a waste of time and energy"

I agree....

Jeff C

Isn't that part of the whole bilge experience , wasting time and energy?

leikec
04-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Quote - "Isn't that part of the whole bilge experience , wasting time and energy?"

Yes, but I do learn a few things from time to time.

Jeff C

leikec
04-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Brad,

I will post on any thread that interests me, thank you.

Do you remember the thread on this forum where you threatened to go to my favorite restaurant and "tell them about me" because you were irritated with something I posted?

That sort of behavior is reason enough for me to keep my identity private.

Jeff C

leikec
04-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Your idea of "silly" is my idea of "creepy"--and at the time the tone of your post was anything but humorous.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about you...I guess time will tell.

Jeff C

downthecreek
04-18-2010, 02:40 AM

What a strange comment! I have been using internet forums for about 16 years and used my real name only in the early days, before I became aware of some of the crazy people lurking out there.

Nevertheless, I have made a number of long lasting friendships, both here and in America through sailing forums. They include an American woman who comes to stay and sail with me regularly and a New York lawyer and his wife with whom I have dinner every time I am over there. He has offered me the use of his boat on Long Island Sound, although I haven't had time to take up that offer yet. This is also how I met Andrew C-B, whom I have known for many years. There have been all kinds of gatherings of internet friends over the years - on and off the water.

It isn't a question of real names - it's a question of developing a sense of a person, trusting them and making contact. Not a problem. My American woman friend came over to stay for three weeks without ever having met me except online. I could have been a dirty old man in a raincoat or a mad axe murderer (heh heh heh - little does she know..) for all she knew - but we had got to know each other well enough online and by e mail to be confident of each other. And, of course, in the network there were people who knew both of us personally......

So I really can't agree with the notion that anonymity + miserable sod who doesn't want friends. :)

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 03:08 AM
I may be mistaken, but LJB is the only guy who has drawn flack here directly, and from a gang of folks. I call that punk.

I might draw down the wrath of the board's rule-keeper and coup counter (it's not Scot) but I believe we should properly keep this hypothetical and abstract. If I made mention of any names here draw them to my attention (I looked at my posts and think I didn't name anybody except in a friendly way, although I admit the temptation is overwhelming).

It has been a good question as posed by the OP.....James.

I, Rowboat is another one of those truly great handles that makes me smile.

shamus
04-18-2010, 03:53 AM
My real name is Shaun Cruickshank, but my full name is longer. When I first logged on here I used a nickname which has been applied to me for the last 40 or more years. I've posted enough information on here previously that anyone who wanted to could track me down if they felt like it, but I kind of want to stick with who I've always been here. I'm not scared of survivalist nutters- I always liked Mark actually- and I have a .300 Whisper in the cupboard as well. Paradoxically, given that I am these days mildly sceptical of global warming, I've always found that ljb5, if asked a question without sarcasm or agenda, will answer in an informative manner and improve my understanding.
Sorry Lew- mentioning names and all!

Duncan Gibbs
04-18-2010, 04:10 AM
Ya just a dirty Shaun incha!! :D

Oi! Gimme a call after Tess of the D'Urbervilles!... Or in the morning.

shamus
04-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Dunc did you get my PM?
I'll call you in the morning on my wholly deductible line(if I get time!)

seanz
04-18-2010, 04:20 AM
I despise the threads, I pate them with a hassion......where's the respect for a finely crafted Nom de Plummet?

Why do some people post under an assumed name? Because we can and because it's allowed under forum rules.....unlike some forums where you have to use your true (but not in a Le Guin way) name.

So there.

And besides, all sorts of fights could break out about the correct spelling of Shawn.

shamus
04-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Ha! I often wondered whether you were sea (NZ) or sean Z(appa)!
I never understood how you could get Shorn out of Sean until I worked for a American chap named Grote Reber (google him!) who addressed me as Seeawn. That made it clear. :D

Duncan Gibbs
04-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Dunc did you get my PM?
I'll call you in the morning on my wholly deductible line(if I get time!)

Yup! I'm a tellingbone sort of a guy... I hate the written word! :D

Captain Blight
04-18-2010, 06:02 AM
I might draw down the wrath of the board's rule-keeper and coup counter (it's not Scot) but I believe we should properly keep this hypothetical and abstract. I wish the sonofagun would let me know what his criteria are. This whole puppet-master, above-it-all mentality strikes me as pretty darned arrogant.

I, Rowboat is another one of those truly great handles that makes me smile.
Me too.

Ian McColgin
04-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Scot's criteria are simple and written in the terms to which we all subscribe by participation.

PeterSibley
04-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Yep ,it hard to complain about something this good that is free .

McMike
04-18-2010, 07:30 AM
FWIW, I like the idea of not being searchable by folks I do business with; my opinion is going to conflict with at least some of the world out there. I have no problem with identifying myself to you guys on the forum and look forward to meeting all of you in person.

In the beginning I signed my posts with my real name until TD decided to make one of his points. I know the layer is a fine one but it's enough to insulate me from the more casual harasser. Unfortunately I have a livelihood to protect and am at the mercy of perception.

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 08:00 AM
I wish the sonofagun would let me know what his criteria are. This whole puppet-master, above-it-all mentality strikes me as pretty darned arrogant.

scot's commandments as posted when you registerd to the forum...

Don't be rude.
Don't sell stuff or services.
Don't post inappropriate pictures.
Don't whine at the Admin. He hates that.
Don't create a new user to come back in if you were temporarily or permanently banned. It's bad Karma.

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Well, this has turned out to be kind of an interesting topic. I guess I understand more now why some of y'all don't really want to have your own name freely bandied about. I had no idea there were so many creepy internet stalkers out there, really!

So now I'm wondering if I should feel self-conscious about never having had a creepy internet stalker of my very own. Whatsamatta? Am I not strong-willed, controversial and opinionated enough to warrant my very own obsessive creep-o? What do I have to do to get a little disrespect, huh?

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 08:38 AM
So now I'm wondering if I should feel self-conscious about never having had a creepy internet stalker of my very own. Whatsamatta? Am I not strong-willed, controversial and opinionated enough to warrant my very own obsessive creep-o? What do I have to do to get a little disrespect, huh?Doesn't kenjamin count, or are you his stalker???:eek: :eek: :eek:

htom
04-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Well, this has turned out to be kind of an interesting topic. I guess I understand more now why some of y'all don't really want to have your own name freely bandied about. I had no idea there were so many creepy internet stalkers out there, really!

So now I'm wondering if I should feel self-conscious about never having had a creepy internet stalker of my very own. Whatsamatta? Am I not strong-willed, controversial and opinionated enough to warrant my very own obsessive creep-o? What do I have to do to get a little disrespect, huh?

You really don't want one, I assure you. I suspect that you have a good balance in your karma account, and that's kept them away. Tempting the gods by asking for one might not be the wisest course.

(I still point at Eastwood's Play Misty for Me as the most realistic description of being stalked. Too close to reality.)

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Touche, m'sieur Pless! I feel more vindicated now.

Though come to think of it, Kenjamin and I are actually good friends behind the scenes so that doesn't totally count.

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 09:06 AM
htom, you're absolutely right! I don't really want a stalker. . . . . .groupies, however. . . . . . .that's different. A flock of hot boat girls milling around, hanging on my every word, that'd be okay, I guess.

TerryLL
04-18-2010, 09:06 AM

I am quite offended that you have forgotten me so soon. Here's a reminder:

"Well, I must say I have never before been more delighted and appalled and thrilled and horrified all at once from the response I've seen. I truly am touched* by the fact that my simple announcement of a break ran for the entire time I was gone, for well over 200 posts, especially since I just found out from Terry that I am apparently

'. . . .the bad boy of the WBF,'

and that because of this role,

'there's about 98% of the Forum who won't bother to take a look-see, figuring it's just another one of his rants.'

Of course, after stating this, he's himself responsible for three or four dozen disturbing posts filled with innuendo and thinly veiled hostility, so hooray. . . .:(. . . . .It's just what I asked for from Santa, my very own internet stalker."

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Jeeze, Terry, you're right! Yay!

So, how ya been? Winter's almost over, and it's time to get the boat out of the shed, eh?

TerryLL
04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Jeeze, Terry, you're right! Yay!

So, how ya been? Winter's almost over, and it's time to get the boat out of the shed, eh?

We had no winter here. A few rain squalls. I cranked up the snowblower just once to see if it still ran and then put it away.

Been working on the plastic tub. She goes in the middle of next month (gotta wait for the lake to fill up).

Spent part of the winter moving the shop to a bigger space. Staying way too busy making stuff for other people. I pull out my CY plans every once in a while, heave a big sigh, and then put them away. Maybe next year.

Mrleft8
04-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I tried stalking myself once, but I got caught....

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
urine idiot:p

Y Bar Ranch
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
When you post under your real name, you need to remember that it will be recorded forever and ever and available to every possible person who might ever want to look you up and see whatever it is you might have been chatting about. Forever. Ex-wife, future employer, someone suing you for something stupid and trying to prove you own a yacht, lawyers settling your estate after you've passed...everything. Until the end of time. Life spent wearing a microphone.

With that burden I'd either have to not care in the slightest, which is not the case since I have kids, or to continually measure my words so as to not prove myself stupid for posterity. Which I have done before. And you'd miss out on some funny jokes and asides.

Plan B is to post anonymously enough to fend off google-god.

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Y Bar, isn't that really the point, though? If someone doesn't have the guts to stand behind what they say, then maybe they shouldn't say it. I'll take my lumps for the stupid things I might have said along with the credit for the brilliant things I've said under my own name, thank you very much.

If I post something that I would later find out I am embarrassed by, then I will post an equally public apology and retraction. I don't like the lack of accountability of the anonymous, drive-by graffitti so often found on the web, and I choose not to be a part of it.

htom
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Not so much on this forum, but others, there are occasional discussions wherein an anon poster (who may be a regular user using the "anon post" option) asks questions about sex, drugs, mental illness, ... in a fashion wherein others can contribute useful answers without embarrassing the person asking (or themselves, if they choose to reply autonomously.) Some of these discussions have been very useful to the anon person, or so they've said. Some of them were doubtless trolling. You help whom you can.

(And yes, there are people who can usually break the anonymity for calls to 911 if a need for such is revealed.)

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 10:36 AM
credit for the brilliant things I've said under my own name,

We're waiting for that to happen James :D So you think there is still hope?

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Y Bar, isn't that really the point, though? If someone doesn't have the guts to stand behind what they say, then maybe they shouldn't say it. I don't much care one way or the other... its easy enough to judge someone's character whether they login anonymously or not by the quality of their posts. For every dork that comes along and post hatefull trolls under an assumed named there's at least as many anonymous individuals that post some truly worthwhile things here. Look to long time forum members like mrleft8, rbgarr, venchka, john b, erster, fred z, etc etc etc.... Hell most of the people that initially post anonymously that really matter to the community here end up coming out of the closet (so to speak) anyway.

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Staying way too busy making stuff for other people. I pull out my CY plans every once in a while, heave a big sigh, and then put them away. Maybe next year.

So the slow down for the economy has been a boom for your type of business?

I've read at least two of your posts recently saying you've been real busy.

Thats good. Well at least for you and folks in similar businesses.

Kind of a every dog has his day sort of way.

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Paul Pless;2565733

like mrleft8,

community here end up coming out of the closet (so to speak) anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Can't we force Lefty back INTO the closet? I'm not sure we can take another photo like that boob one taken at his ESB a few years back!:rolleyes::D

Mrleft8
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Can't we force Lefty back INTO the closet? I'm not sure we can take another photo like that boob one taken at his ESB a few years back!:rolleyes::D

Wait'll you see the one of me in the neon green bondage bikini! :D:eek:

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Sorry Lew- mentioning names and all!

Done in good spirit, no problem with the rules! :D

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
.......It isn't a question of real names - it's a question of developing a sense of a person, trusting them and making contact. Not a problem........

Agree, very much so. I take it that you agree with me (from the odd comment I cited) that saying "I don't need any more friends" it is a very limiting way to approach life (or at least) the internet. Not disagreement, then?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]FWIW, I like the idea of not being searchable by folks I do business with; my opinion is going to conflict with at least some of the world out there. I have no problem with identifying myself to you guys on the forum and look forward to meeting all of you in person. .........

Although I worked (and will work again) for myself I understand your antipathy about expressing yourself in the clear on this. But have a
thought for you; most people who get to know you fairly well either in work or privately can surmise your thinking even if you don't spell it out for them. People are generally quite transparent even when being guarded. The act of being guarded in itself is telling.

In any case, I do understand your sentiments and the desire to keep some privacy and separation from work. Would you feel the same way if you were independently wealthy, or if you were retired?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-18-2010, 11:14 AM
It might be a good time to tell everyone who you really are.

I'm Spartacus!!!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Wait'll you see the one of me in the neon green bondage bikini! :D:eek:

Lefty is actually the Green Arrow. Lew Barrett is Ironman. This is a place where superheros chillax.

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
"Amphibious macroplankton". Says so right under my name.

L.W. Baxter
04-18-2010, 11:24 AM
When you post under your real name, you need to remember that it will be recorded forever and ever and available to every possible person who might ever want to look you up and see whatever it is you might have been chatting about. Forever. Ex-wife, future employer, someone suing you for something stupid and trying to prove you own a yacht, lawyers settling your estate after you've passed...everything. Until the end of time. Life spent wearing a microphone...

Forever? For reals? LOL. How long do you expect to live? How long do you expect your words to be consequential? Are your words going to be more important in the future than they are today? What's the worst case scenario, you'll be followed around by a bunch of dumb things you said like a politician or celebrity? Big whoop. To give an example of "life spent wearing a microphone": nobody has said more stupid things publicly than our ex-President G.W. Bush, and he's still taken seriously by lots of people. Anybody posting here think that their own foolishness is more important than that of a world leader? Get over it!

I've been easily search-able on this forum for 6 years plus. I'm still waiting for that to matter one whit. I don't believe it ever will. I think that as time goes by and new generations grow up with internet socializing, it's going to become obvious that speaking your mind publicly on the internet is no big deal. Search-able forever? Have at it, it's your dime. I'm no more concerned about the future than I am about today.

As far as your own words being used against you? I suppose that can happen, though I haven't really heard of many specific incidences in which it was done unjustly. If, for instance, you are talking smack about your wife here, you are out of line whether you are anonymous or not. If it comes up in divorce court you get what you deserve. If you get sued for a boating accident, you're going to tell the truth in court anyway, right? You want to hide that you own a yacht? What the???

Cripes, we only live once. Why would anyone want to spend thousands of hours socializing anonymously? Seems oxymoron-ical to me. I don't get it.

downthecreek
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Agree, very much so. I take it that you agree with me (from the odd comment I cited) that saying "I don't need any more friends" it is a very limiting way to approach life (or at least) the internet. Not disagreement, then?

No disagreement with that, for sure. :)

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I wish the sonofagun would let me know what his criteria are. This whole puppet-master, above-it-all mentality strikes me as pretty darned arrogant.

There's no puppet master above the puppet master, I had something and somebody else in mind, but if I wanna follow my own rules I can't say too much more. I am referring mostly to drop-in sniping by certain (frequently faceless) people who haughtily correct things as small as typos (but sometimes snipe on minor points of order, or argue interminably with the least important asect of a discussion) and then disappear back into the weeds. I see this as a form of attempt at control but it's not really a major thing, just a behavior I don't like. Pay it no great mind.

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I am referring mostly to drop-in sniping by certain (frequently faceless) people who haughtily correct things as small as typos and then disappear back into the weeds. I see this as a form of attempt at control but it's not really a major thing, just a behavior I don't like. Pay it no great mind.Elf!!!:p;)

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Paul Pless;2565770]

Elf!!!:p

/QUOTE]

No names or initials Plessner and it's elf , no capitals :D

Yanno oddly I attempted to have my log in screen name be PEG, but in the great forum shift of 2007 or so , my screen name got changed to my full name.

And a few others got changed at that time as well , like Domestic Mr. KIA was Imported Mr. KIA, I think Steven Bauer was Imported Steven Bauer for a while . So thats how I lost my anonymity .

Anyone else wanta share how they lost theirs?:D

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry, James, but I have been, pretty much, anonymous all my life even in places where my name was known and I prefer to keep it that way.
Rozumis'?

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Paul Pless;2565770]

Elf!!!:p

/QUOTE]

No names or initials Plessner and it's elf , no capitals :DEmily should be right along to you instruct on the correct method of closing a quote in the wbf editor.

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Y Bar, isn't that really the point, though? If someone doesn't have the guts to stand behind what they say, then maybe they shouldn't say it. I'll take my lumps for the stupid things I might have said along with the credit for the brilliant things I've said under my own name, thank you very much.

If I post something that I would later find out I am embarrassed by, then I will post an equally public apology and retraction. I don't like the lack of accountability of the anonymous, drive-by graffitti so often found on the web, and I choose not to be a part of it.

This point has been lost on quite a few, and is why we have an internet that frequently looks like the rantings of a bunch of mad people. So while anonymity can be a very valuable and useful shield, it also promotes a sense of reckless and feckless banter for many. Here where I take such pleasure in my life, I have no trouble attaching my statements to my name. Like PMJ, stading up with my own identity is a way for me to say "I understand there is some risk of exposure. I am willing to endure that risk."
I understand if not everyone feels the same, as long as they don't take undue liberties because they are now anonymous. People who do that; post wantonly without a face but hide without shame behind the notion that they are being stalked; those people are trolls.

People forget that they can be traced by their computer IDs
(device addresses), but I do suppose it makes it harder for casual recognition. If you post on the internet and they want to know what you said, they can find out with one set of keystrokes where your stuff is coming from.

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 11:37 AM
People forget that they can generally be traced by their computer IDs
(device addresses), but I do suppose it makes it harded for casual recognition. If you post on the internet and they want to know what you said, they can find out with one set of keystrokes where your stuff is coming from.

Just wait till the IRS is in charge of your health care payments , that will be scary eh :D

I, Rowboat
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes he has James, and no I can't find the exact post , but he sure has bitched about you 'outing him' at least once.

I believe your memory fails you, old man. I did object, however, to your use of overly-familiar diminutives and creepy faux-chumminess with me and other WBF members that you pretend to know more about than you really do. I don't like you. You don't like me. I can live with that.

Paul Girouard - I think you're a presumptive, thoroughgoing douche-nozzle and am happy to say so both here and directly to your face.

I rank him right up there with Lib-5,,,,,,,, well I guess that would be "down there with Lib-5" :pWhy, I can think of worse company to be associated with, right here in the Bilge even.

It's easy to see why , from his postings , that he's avoided human contact most of his life.I'm curious to see what evidence you have to support this conclusion. Please, do tell us. I'm sure your argument will be dizzying. My wife, children, family, co-workers, and members of the WBF community will be so glad to have you set them straight about what a truly reproachable monster I am.

But you are correct about one thing: It is true that I am not, in fact, an actual sentient talking rowboat.

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Elf!!!:p;)

Yeah, sometimes, (OK, more than sometimes:D) but she's not faceless.

I, Rowboat
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
There's no puppet master above the puppet master, I had something and somebody else in mind, but if I wanna follow my own rules I can't say too much more. I am referring mostly to drop-in sniping by certain (frequently faceless) people who haughtily correct things as small as typos (but sometimes snipe on minor points of order, or argue interminably with the least important asect of a discussion) and then disappear back into the weeds. I see this as a form of attempt at control but it's not really a major thing, just a behavior I don't like. Pay it no great mind.

You're talking about Donn, no?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-18-2010, 11:48 AM
But you are correct about one thing: It is true that I am not, in fact, an actual sentient talking rowboat.

Damn - another illusion smashed.

There are plenty of handles around here that look like actual personal names - but for which we have no evidence of an actual physical person.

There are some groups of handles where, though there are many names, we suspect only a single real person...... still others where the existence of a sane individual is open to considerable doubt.

Like all forums - this place is what it is - like it or not.

TerryLL
04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
So the slow down for the economy has been a boom for your type of business?

Yes. And not just for me in particular. The entire textile arts industry is booming in a major way. Some of the uptick might be attributed to the Boomer Hippies retiring from the corporate world and reconnecting to their '60s interests. But I think most of the increase is that people are traveling less, staying home more, and looking for hobbies to fill their time.

downthecreek
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
People forget that they can be traced by their computer IDs
(device addresses), but I do suppose it makes it harder for casual recognition. If you post on the internet and they want to know what you said, they can find out with one set of keystrokes where your stuff is coming from.

Do they? I'm not so sure about that.

Some forums I know have experimented with the idea of showing IP addresses alongside each post. Not specific ID of course, but a bit of an indicator. Usually, it's a reaction to people using multiple IDs.

It's usually been disastrous - people getting flamed because their stuff was coming through the same server as a "baddie's", people making all sorts of accusations about who is who, who is impersonating whom etc.

I don't really know why it matters so much. My sense of the people I meet on the net comes from the content and tone of their posts, not the name they post under, whether that appears to be a "real" name or not. Indeed, if you use the net a lot, your screen name becomes as much a part of your identity as your "real" name. It's no less "real" than a nickname. Having spent most of the day down at the yard working on the boat, I can confirm that there are all sorts of people in my "real" life with whom I have the most frequent pleasant social interactions, even though I don't know their surnames, or even their forenames in many cases. I don't need to know in order to enjoy the chat and the jokes. If you want to muck around with multiple identities, of course, you can make up "real" looking names as easily as you can any other.

Why not just let people do as they prefer and ignore the posts whose content and tone is not to your liking.

Each tae their ane taste, as the auld wife said when she kissed the coo :)

I, Rowboat
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
While it is true that I am neither an actual sentient talking rowboat or (as alluded to in my current tag line) the homicidal mainframe of the 2001 Jupiter Mission, every one of my posts to the WBF has been under I, Rowboat. It is my WBF identity, I check in here often, and anything I say here can be identified as I, Rowboat.

Furthermore, I am open about who I really am if you ask, although if you're a creepy, hostile, overly familiar weirdo with an apparent predilection for internet stalking, don't be surprised if I'm less than enthusiastic about sharing particulars or giving out my phone number.

What I think is lamentable is someone posting objectionable opinions or statements under an alternate name to avoid being associated with those statements. We've all suspected that certain WBF members are guilty of this, and it really is a cowardly act to say something while trying to avoid ownership of the statement.

Rowboat has spoken.

Y Bar Ranch
04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Forever? For reals? LOL. How long do you expect to live? How long do you expect your words to be consequential? Are your words going to be more important in the future than they are today?...

Cripes, we only live once. Why would anyone want to spend thousands of hours socializing anonymously? Seems oxymoron-ical to me. I don't get it.

I could use my real name and you'd not know me a whit better than knowing me through my user name. So what's the diff? In fact, a lot of people's user names say more about them than their real names, since they get to pick their user name and put some creativity into it (I, Rowboat). And if we ever meet up for real, than you'll know finally know me.

I've never met a single person on here, and have interacted rarely, but feel like I know many of you through your words. I don't need to know who you "really" are.

I base my approach on experience, having been on the nets since 1992, back when WWW was unheard of and NNTP and Gopher ruled the world. We leave enough of an obvious trail as it is.

Y Bar, isn't that really the point, though? If someone doesn't have the guts to stand behind what they say, then maybe they shouldn't say it.
I'll completely stand behind what I say, but use an anonymous user name to say it. :rolleyes:

I gladly use my real name in private messages. Not in Google-able public.

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I believe your memory fails you, old man. I did object, however, to your use of overly-familiar diminutives and creepy faux-chumminess with me and other WBF members that you pretend to know more about than you really do. I don't like you. You don't like me. I can live with that.

Then of course theres the fact you don't know me at all , other than here on WBF. How do you know you don't like me?

Paul Girouard - I think you're a presumptive, thoroughgoing douche-nozzle and am happy to say so both here and directly to your face.

See now that is real progress, I. :D

Why, I can think of worse company to be associated with, right here in the Bilge even.

I'm curious to see what evidence you have to support this conclusion. Please, do tell us. I'm sure your argument will be dizzying. My wife, children, family, co-workers, and members of the WBF community will be so glad to have you set them straight about what a truly reproachable monster I am.

I'm sure they will. If they survive :D

You did bitch at James at least twice that I read about "outing" you. But you can have it anyway you want it, it's the Internet, you CAN be a talking rowboat here.

In closing I'd say this post of yours reinforces the opinion I have of you and your online persona.

Put me on ignore , thats your only hope.

Good day Mr. Boat.

Bob Smalser
04-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't much care one way or the other...

Me, either.

As I mentioned the other day, the only situation I can think of where I'd consider a screen name was if I was a dead ringer for Joan of Arc.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Joan_of_arc_miniature_graded.jpg/396px-Joan_of_arc_miniature_graded.jpg

S/V Laura Ellen
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I have made it very clear who I am.
I have met many of you in person, and can say there isn't one person that I regret meeting.
Although my choice of screen name has caused some confusion ( and for those that still don't know, Laura Ellen is my boat's name no mine) I've never attempted to be anonymous.

Because I post under my own name, I have to be careful about what I post, since it reflects directly back on my reputation. That is the way it should be. People should be held personally accountable for what they post. If you wouldn't say it face to face in a public it has no place on this forum.

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 12:39 PM
So what's my address, fella?

I didn't say I could find you....just that People can find you!

Somebody told me this once and I believed him. He said his name was Tooth Fairy!:D

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 12:41 PM
up "real" looking names as easily as you can any other.

Why not just let people do as they prefer and ignore the posts whose content and tone is not to your liking.

This isn't a brag, but I am probably as practiced at ignoring what I don't like as anybody else here who has 10,000 replies! And I don't use the ignore button.

I'm pretty sure if they want to, they can find....well....most if not quite all of us. The rest of us they can't find would be those with very advanced computer skills, not your average hack registering under an assumed name and posting from his usual ISP at home.

paladin
04-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I figure that if I can find a guy hiding on the hinterlands of Honduras under an assumed identity with a "built in family" that would vouch for him being a local, after a few years of on the run activities across the U.S., I figger I should have no trouble tracking down a miscreant that likes to blab on an anonymous site. The last couple of guys that Pi$$ed me off and said I'd never get them are presently spending a few decades behind bars in California/Texas.

Ian McColgin
04-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Have gun.
Will travel.

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I have made it very clear who I am.Yup... some chick from Canada that owns a schooner.:p

S/V Laura Ellen
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Yup... some chick from Canada that owns a schooner.:p

Yes, the unfortunate side effect of posting under an aliased name. I guess a few people failed to read my signature line. It did make a good running joke for a while.:)

paladin
04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
That is extremely easy...one phone call and youse is hacked.

L.W. Baxter
04-18-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't have anything against anybody who chooses to remain anonymous or semi-anonymous, so long as they don't start naming names or criticizing the public lives of full-disclosure posters, from the comfort of their hiding place.

I have enjoyed the wit and wisdom of many anonymous posters here. And some people really know how to do it, without ever bragging about their (absolutely unverifiable) accomplishments or attributes, without vulgarly provoking or making absurd physical threats, without dog-piling on somebody whose real life is under scrutiny only because they post here without disguise. I don't understand posting anonymously, but as long you understand your limited position morally, have at it.

I posted to this thread in objection to the idea that it's a "bad idea" to post openly on the internet, revealing personal details. I feel just the opposite. I think it's a waste of time wearing a mask, here or anywhere else. There is danger, of course, but the dangers here, to yourself or your family, are no greater than a day at the beach. And what of the danger of a life impoverished by anonymity?

I'm thinking of a party where some people show up with open faces and sharing stories, maybe even pictures of themselves, their friends and loved ones. And then another group of people who show up wearing masks, wandering around and eavesdropping but talking only about impersonal subjects. No matter how interesting their point of view may be, the folks in the second group will disappear at the end of the night. If they decide to pull off their mask at the end and say "tada! It's me!" who is going to care? I didn't know you. You were a phantom and now the real person that you were in hiding is headed out the door. That's mostly your loss, ultimately.

Think about the people who have passed from this forum as they have passed from life, whole and real. It is interesting to me that the names looming largest are simple, full-name logins. Norm Messinger. Dave Fleming. Ken Hutchins. "Meerkat" too was pretty well known by name, life history, and in the flesh before his passing. If you don't care about being anything to anybody, so be it, but I don't understand you.

It is a bad idea to spend any significant time of your precious life covered by a mask. If you've spent 20 years socializing on the internet without showing your face then you've just been playing a game with yourself. When you pass away, somebody may say, "oh that was such-and-such's real name, he died, this was his family, this is what he cared about, etc." It will be like reading an obituary of someone I never met. A moment of morbid curiosity and then nothing. That's the way I see it.

bobbys
04-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Please show integrity..

I see one person posted another persons Photo Bucket, I was hoping people would take Responsibility to decry this but i suppose there was enough anti Certain poster to consider it a good and fun lark..

On the Other hand i should commend all the peeps that rebuked a Anonymous person bringing theft charges up against one not here and unable to muster a defense..

That was a shinning moment as i knew those peeps did not agree with the banned fellow.

I forgot who they were, I should like to know to put a mark next to there name as honorable lads..

Unless of Course there Red Sox fans, There is no good in there black Hearts:)

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Well that does it bobbys , your on my ignore list now!:D

varadero
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I might not agree with what you say, but will fight to the death for your right to say it.

Lew Barrett
04-18-2010, 03:15 PM
You may be able to do this if I send you an email. If you want to find out who I am/where I live from my posts here, you'll have to hack the WBF server. Of course, I ain' no computeer, so I may be mistaken. :eek:

;)

As I understand it, disabling cookies goes a long way towards maintaining your privacy during web sessions. You know all the pluses and minuses. You just strike me as a cookies kind of guy! Oreos, Famous Amos, Mallomars or easy access to WBF features?

Disclaimer: I am not a geek, really a bit out of my element here.

Paul Pless
04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Unless of Course there Red Sox fans, There is no good in there black Hearts:)They sure were a lot easier to take before they started winning world series titles again, that's for sure.

yzer
04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I've been on the internet since '92 and have always used a pseudonym for posting on public forums. I also register on forums using an online email service for an additional layer of security. This gives me a degree of separation from spammers, pfishers, bots, trolls, etc. that inhabit the internet. Yes, I'm on some public forums where I have face-to-face friendships with other members.

After 30 years in broadcasting and having dealt with threats and stalking I've grown to value my privacy. I have social networking under my own name on Facebook, but that is accessible only to people that I know.

Public forums, PM, Skype, social networks and email are all fine but I use each communications channel appropriately.

pefjr
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Please show integrity.Hmmm..........You might say the same about someone that puts you on ignore but keeps his freedom to take pots shots at you. Not naming anyone, those that are guilty of that know who they are.

Also, if you label those that are serving or have served in the military of our country a "hired gun", then maybe both should use an assumed name. Again, no names mentioned here.

Course a person of integrity would not do such things.

Bobby of Tulsa
04-18-2010, 04:10 PM
So what's my address, fella? I dont know, but I have a gallon of Tequila and if I ever find you and that Glen guy look out. :)

pipefitter
04-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I've been on the internet since '92 and have always used a pseudonym for posting on public forums. I also register on forums using an online email service for an additional layer of security. This gives me a degree of separation from spammers, pfishers, bots, trolls, etc. that inhabit the internet. Yes, I'm on some public forums where I have face-to-face friendships with other members.

Same here since about 92. It used to be considered appropriately hip to have a user name. That's the habit I followed and never knew it would be considered unacceptable.

As far as validity of what one posts on internet forums, I don't see forum setups as a good indicator. Why? because it isn't real time. You have those of us who may have an hour at most to spend with such endeavors and it doesn't always come out exactly right, as compared to those who seemingly have 12 hours or more in which to posture themselves to fit the bill. If you really want to see what someone is made of, point them off-the-cuff, commando style, where there is no time for google and wiki and vast amounts of premeditation for a more accurate measure.

My information is available. If someone wants to know me, it takes a little work, as it should. People like Dave Fleming(who's constant harping about smoking persuaded me to quit) and Erster seemed to figure it out without much bother and thankfully for me, they didn't put much stock in what I posted here. Although, as a weldor/fabricator in all of my blue collar glory, perhaps they didn't expect much to begin with.

I find it somewhat odd, that even though my posts may be somewhat inflammatory and even ignorant at times, which is usually via the air that the 'residents' of this place have created, my propensity to uphold the underdog in lynch mob situations, that I have never said anything untoward enough to be banned, regardless of the shield of a fabricated username and this carries through with my real life as well. Yet some who hold such high criteria for others can't seem to control themselves long term. What does that say about them? Yet they get a free pass because they are up to date with chosen current events and in seeming boot lick agreement with certain, redundant, political ideals and use their real name?

It comes down to. . .'you might me spending too much time on the internet if. . .'

Better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not.

purri
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I believe there's a time and place. For instance I have had access to information that if made public under my name would see my business go under quick smart. (and I am well known in my own way). For NSW posters decisions under part 3A of the state planning act may spring to mind.

Some of this info and decisions is NOT in the public interest, but there is a means of mitigating some of its effects if I post it or indicate that it may be investigated by others.

The Watergate matter would be the best example of how such info can influence the future for the public good

Canoez
04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
I will say that it is extremely easy for the folks who manage this Forum to be able to track your IP address which ultimately can lead to a unique identifier. There are some methods that will let you "anonymize" your web browsing that will for all intents and purposes render you invisible, but that's pretty extreme if you ask me.

Frankly, I'd like to see more of these anonymous faces at Lefty's and places like the Maine Boat Builder's Show and the WBS. :cool:

purri
04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I always wonder if there is such a risk to anyones business why even take the chance.??

Conscience.

James McMullen
04-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I went for a paddle around the west edge of Fidalgo Island today, under my own real name! :eek:

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/42542/2094261340105767272S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2094261340105767272ICUHlN)

paladin
04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm just another guy with a gun, dunno nobody know who I am.....
Hi yo Silver....AwAAAAAAAY..

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Like Lew, I get a kick out of some people's pseudonyms.

My anonymity comes from an early caution in the internet age that has recently become more publicized, i.e., information that is viewed not only by members of a particular forum, but from those outside a forum. I speak of Facebook, et al, where information was gleaned by a non-acquaintance and used against a person. Examples are pre-employment screening (and during employment), house burglary (when you post or twitter that you are away from home), and many other issues. Unless I am able to control, and screen each person that has access to my posts, (which would be impractical and I would be exposed to fewer opinions, a big downside), I will post anonymously.

Even my email account does not contain my name or accurate contact information beyond the email address. It is an email mailbox. That's it.

None of the above restricts my ability to make friends. When you post a personal ad online, do you post your real and full name? If you do, you shouldn't. Does that prevent you from meeting a person? No, it doesn't. Anonymity in these sorts of endeavors is considered so important, that, in order to control spam, rather than make people use verifiable identities, most systems use that test...oh...I can't think of the name...that requires you to type a word in a box to verify that you are a humanoid.

SMARTINSEN
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM

That was a shinning moment as i knew those peeps did not agree with the banned fellow.

I forgot who they were, I should like to know to put a mark next to there name as honorable lads..

Thank you.

I take it back:)

Michael D. Storey
04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I happen to like my name, and use it everywhere except in bed.

I will say that one of the things that I had to get used to when I started reading here is that I was reading fingers, not voices. Some of the things said are just ugly, childish and untrue ( and known to be so by the authors ).
They border on heckling, they stand as a platform for some to try to show off, and in some cases, they seem to be written by people who should not be let out alone.
When they are delivered with a fake name, they are no more than writings from a restroom wall.

That sed,if this is no more than a place where people with no sense of worth can come to make ugly in the mouth, as my mother used to say, then I would leave you to it.

But on the other hand, I happen to like the boats, the experiences, the now & then artwork, the humor. The politics stinks on ice. The personal attacks on people that I do not know and have no interest in ever meeting is shameful.

Jusayin

skuthorp
04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
My name is available in my profile, my pseudonym is the name of a one-time famous Aussie horseman and story teller, his name has been my 'alternative name' since I read about him at about 12. There is a song about him.

Chip-skiff
04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Isn't Kaa just using his initials? I see that's also how he signs his photos.

P'raps. But Kaa is the name of the wise and sardonic python in Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. Which makes a kind of sense. ForkÚd tongue, etc.

Captain Intrepid
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
I will say that it is extremely easy for the folks who manage this Forum to be able to track your IP address which ultimately can lead to a unique identifier. There are some methods that will let you "anonymize" your web browsing that will for all intents and purposes render you invisible, but that's pretty extreme if you ask me.

Frankly, I'd like to see more of these anonymous faces at Lefty's and places like the Maine Boat Builder's Show and the WBS. :cool:

It's fairly easy to figure out who a poster is, the thing with not mentioning your name though, is it's much harder to find someone via a search without mentioning the name. To figure out who I am would be a matter of a phone call for the right person, but to figure out that who-ever I am is Captain Intrepid, that's a different story. Not too difficult to do still, but it requires more than a casual google.

I'd love to come over to the WBS or similar, alas it's a bit far for me at the moment. Even Port Townsend would be hard for me to make it too, right now. I'll be there some year in the future I'm sure.

skuthorp
04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
P'raps. But Kaa is the name of the wise and sardonic python in Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. Which makes a kind of sense.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/T2JB159_-_Jungle_Book_capital_K.JPG/220px-T2JB159_-_Jungle_Book_capital_K.JPG (http://forum.woodenboat.com/wiki/File:T2JB159_-_Jungle_Book_capital_K.JPG)
http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/wiki/File:T2JB159_-_Jungle_Book_capital_K.JPG)
Kaa from the the 1895 edition of The Two Jungle Books

bobbys
04-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Well that does it bobbys , your on my ignore list now!:D.

Well then you wont have the pain of seeing this again my Red Sox friend:D.

http://infieldfly.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bill-buckner-makes-an-error.jpg?w=450&h=450

bobbys
04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
I had to change my name because bobbys didnt drink Tequila Or beer or live in Texas. :) Just kiddin dude..

Actually not a bad point:)

Y Bar Ranch
04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
There's a saying somewhere that honor & integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Posting anonymously essentially means no one is watching, so in some ways you probably learn more about a person when they post anonymously than otherwise.

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 10:15 PM

Well then you wont have the pain of seeing this again my Red Sox friend:D.

http://infieldfly.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bill-buckner-makes-an-error.jpg?w=450&h=450

Bucky's image has been erased by these bobbys,

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/10/22/sports/22redsox.xlarge6.jpg

http://www.after5catalog.com/cocktailblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/baseball-bean.jpg

So there,,,,,,,,,,, , or as you'd type it "their". As you aways seem to error to the wrong "there". :D

But hell I ain't much better:o

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 10:17 PM
There's a saying somewhere that honor & integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Posting anonymously essentially means no one is watching, so in some ways you probably learn more about a person when they post anonymously than otherwise.

Do you work for any political party? Or have you worked for any political party?

Cuz thats some darned good spin, sort of a Jamie Moyer / Bugs Bunny curve:D

bobbys
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Bucky's image has been erased by these bobbys,

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/10/22/sports/22redsox.xlarge6.jpg

http://www.after5catalog.com/cocktailblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/baseball-bean.jpg

So there,,,,,,,,,,, , or as you'd type it "their". As you aways seem to error to the wrong "there". :D

But hell I ain't much better:o.

Ouch, Right trew da Heart!!:D

Paul Girouard
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Ouch, Right trew da Heart!!:D

Hopefully they'll deal the final fatal blow to you Red Sox haters this October. :D

As I pretty sure the Mariners won't be playing any post season ball AGAIN this year. Although they have a pretty good team on paper. To bad the games are played on grass. :D

Ian McColgin
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Rent "Fever Pitch." They were making it that summer and had to remake the ending to keep up with history, which is why the suspense builds so well.

Typhoon
04-19-2010, 06:28 AM
So is it Typhoon Andrew or Andrew Typhoon? I Googled both and found two very different people.

Nothing searched under either of those terms is relevant to me. So it works!

Regards, Andrew.

Lew Barrett
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
This may mean something to somebody, then again, it may not:
bellsouth.net