PDA

View Full Version : In an age hungry for genuine heroes, gotta bring this up

ishmael
04-17-2010, 08:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_(actor)#Military_service

Captain Blight
04-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I just love Jimmy Stewart. One of my personal heroes. A fine example of a true gentleman, and I wish there was some way I could have known him.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I once interviewed for a job in Indiana, Pennsylvania. There was a large Bas Relief bust of Jimmy Stewart on the wall behind the motel check-in desk, so i asked what the connection was.

I was told that Jimmy was born in Indiana, PA.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-17-2010, 11:45 AM
in an age when it seems everybody owns a collection of their own tape or CD films, I have only one, The Spirit Of St Louis. my favorite Stewart film, and my favorite true aviation story.

ishmael
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Who would have known, without some digging, that Jimmy skippered twenty bomber missions into Germany? The best part of this history, to me, is that he explicitely forbade the mention of it in his publicity squibs. Heroicism without histrionics is a rare commodity these days.

Being a great actor is icing on the cake. I especially like his work with Hitchcock: Vertigo, Rear Window. And whatever you think of it, Capra's It's a Wonderful Life defines something eternal.

John Meachen
04-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I am surprised that his war record is not better known.Locally,we have a memorial library dedicated to the memory or the Second air division and at significant anniversary gatherings the veterans used to visit the area and return to their old bases.We had lots of these as there was an airbase every five miles or so throughout East Anglia and Tibenham is still in use as a recreational airfield.The command centre for the Second air division is four miles down the road and the veterans,of whom there are few left,were frequent visitors when they showed their families the region where they spent a portion of their lives.A low key James Stewart was a returning veteran and never a Hollywood star for these visits.

Paul Pless
04-17-2010, 05:43 PM
In an age hungry for genuine heroes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_%28actor%29#Military_service)What in the world are you talking about? Hungry for heroes indeed!:rolleyes:

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/nicolekcnw/ObamaComics1.jpg

peter radclyffe
04-17-2010, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35zBSQt67ZU

peter radclyffe
04-17-2010, 11:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft_kY5KgCnE

ron ll
04-18-2010, 12:14 AM
"Flight of the Phoenix"

andrewe
04-18-2010, 12:23 AM
The command centre for the Second air division is four miles down the road and the veterans,of whom there are few left,were frequent visitors when they showed their families the region where they spent a portion of their lives.A low key James Stewart was a returning veteran and never a Hollywood star for these visits.
John,
A friend from the 70s runs his aviation business from an old Command centre at New Buckenham. It was used by JS and it is is still possible to see the 'Readiness Board' painted on the wall. Is this the one you talking about?
Andrew

John Meachen
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM
New Buckenham is one of the wartime airfields that has found a role in civilian life.So have Shipdam,Tibenham and Seething.Hethel became the headquarters for Lotus and Ketteringham Hall which is just down the road was the headquarters I referred to.The former Horsham St Faiths base is now operating as Norwich International airport,volcanic dust permitting.

Tom Montgomery
04-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Yep. Jimmy Stewart was an exemplary movie star , patriot and hero, no question.

But may I mention a largely forgotten hero, patriot and movie star?

Audie Murphy.

purri
04-19-2010, 01:32 AM
New Buckenham is one of the wartime airfields that has found a role in civilian life.So have Shipdam,Tibenham and Seething.Hethel became the headquarters for Lotus and Ketteringham Hall which is just down the road was the headquarters I referred to.The former Horsham St Faiths base is now operating as Norwich International airport,volcanic dust permitting.

Norwich? You a chartered accountant or actuary perhaps? (apols but John Cleese made me do it) :D

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-19-2010, 01:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_(actor)#Military_service

Absolutely! My dad always championed that John Wayne was such a great American, and while he may not have been a bad person, I always felt he didn't hold a candle to Jimmy Stewart, nor Ted Williams, nor any of the others that served, and served by choice.

martin schulz
04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Absolutely! My dad always championed that John Wayne was such a great American, and while he may not have been a bad person, I always felt he didn't hold a candle to Jimmy Stewart, nor Ted Williams, nor any of the others that served, and served by choice.

I saw a documentary about Marlon Brando last week.
In it they showed those parts dealing with Brando's refusal of the Oscar he got for the Godfather. He sent an Indian woman while he was at Wounded Knee to demonstrate for the rights of the American Indians.

John Wayne however was backstage at the Academy Awards and was furious. He even tried to get on stage to get the Indian Woman of it, because he felt Brando's decision to not accept the award as affront.

Now - who is the real hero?

Bob Adams
04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Eddie Albert belongs to the elite group of TRUE movie star heros also.

paul oman
04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Jimmy Stewart was an American hero, but I rather liked his buddy, Harvey the Rabbit, a bit more. Haven't seen Harvey for a while......

ishmael
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Harvey is a favorite of mine. The film was a reprise of a Broadway stage play, also starring Stewart. Talking the entire two hours to an imaginary six foot white rabbit must have tested anyones skills.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
RIGHT-ON, Tom!

When I was teenager I thougt Audie Murphy walked on water! Red Badge Of Courage was a noteworthy film for me. Buit I also enjoyed his B-Westerns.

Even thought I should change my name to Audie Murphy. Nobody can ever spell my real surname, and Nicholas was a rare name in the 1950's.

Moby Nick

Iceboy
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Yep. Jimmy Stewart was an exemplary movie star , patriot and hero, no question.

But may I mention a largely forgotten hero, patriot and movie star?

Audie Murphy.

Absolutely! As I sit here I am looking at a picture of Audie Murphy's grave in Arlington. Medal of Honor among others. One of the most decorated men in WWII.

ishmael
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Cap doffed to all of them.

It doesn't happen only in war. I think the capacity, which is largely defined by action, is in all of us. Late brother Bill of Rolex fame was standing in a small crowd waiting for a ferry boat. A child went into the lake. Before anyone else got past "Oh my, look at that!" Bill had his jacket off and dove in.

Heroes. I really miss my brother.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I saw a documentary about Marlon Brando last week.
In it they showed those parts dealing with Brando's refusal of the Oscar he got for the Godfather. He sent an Indian woman while he was at Wounded Knee to demonstrate for the rights of the American Indians.

John Wayne however was backstage at the Academy Awards and was furious. He even tried to get on stage to get the Indian Woman of it, because he felt Brando's decision to not accept the award as affront.

Now - who is the real hero?

I have to agree. I consider a hero to be someone that performs an act of courage for the sake of others. Brando's stance may have ruffled feathers, and some may have thought it was not the time nor place, but other native protests were falling on deaf ears and it was definitely a good cause.

purri
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Wayne didn't ever like native Americans.

Gerarddm
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Wayne didn't ever like native Americans.

The Searchers.

The term 'hero' has so been overblown recently that it has practically devalued the word. I have always been struck by the typical answer from a soldier who is asked about some scary Battle of Something he was in, and usually the response is something to the effect of 'I'm no hero, I was just doing my job'. That's why it angers me to hear reactionaries slather the word around like it was I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

Happens outside the military too. When Bush gave Brenner a medal I nearly puked.