PDA

View Full Version : Trivia....no peaking/googling

paladin
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
What entertainer was a tech sgt during WWII and was a flight officer on B-24 transports flying the China/India/Burma hump and has the most stars on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Uncle Duke
04-16-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll guess: Gene Autry. He has five stars - one in each category - but I don't know much about his wartime experience.
?

paladin
04-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Crap! That didn't last long........Good guess you weenie. How'ya doin'?

Uncle Duke
04-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I knew the "stars on the walk of fame" part just because it's part of my stock of stupid trivia - and it's pretty impressive all by itself.

Doing OK - staying employed by virtue of out-working everybody around me. Getting down, this weekend, to turning the garage back to a workshop - but that will take a month, really. I want to make a specific clock, but that requires that I learn some about programming physical (robotic) devices, probably using an Arduino controller board. I'm actually looking forward to that - nice to learn something new.

paladin
04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I found some stuff from mom's that had her Gene Autry stuff. She and my aunt grew up around him as his dad was a local minister. Shipping this stuff to my sister. A couple of letters and some pictures from the 30's. I knew about the wartime stuff from Uncle Bill.
I'm gonna take a nap...a bit worn out from yesterdays mess. I need to trade this body in for a new one.

Uncle Duke
04-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I need to trade this body in for a new one. I think that one part at a time is all that's available... start in the middle and work out toward the ends...:D
Seriously - get better if possible, rested if that's all that's on the immediate horizon. People care. Don't ask me why, but it seems to be true.

Ian McColgin
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I thought it was C-47's, based on tales from Dad who was rotated into CBI soon after Sicily but rotated out to train pilots for D-Day. I had the impression the singing cowboy he so admired showed up a bit after he left.

Michael D. Storey
04-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Here's some Gene Autry stuff:
Back in the Saddle may be the most perfect song of all time ('where the only law is right...')
The composer was awakened at 3 AM with the request to write a song, after a depression-laced long-time-no-work deal. So he climbs back in bed, and sez to the old lady, 'well, I guess I'm back in the saddle again' She sed, 'what a great theme for the song. Now keep your hands to yourself an go back to sleep'
There you have it

paladin
04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Based in Ian's remarks...I googled Gene Autry WWII and this is what I found....

When World War II broke out, Gene Autry was determined to join the armed forces and do his part. On July 26, 1942, during a live broadcast of his radio show Melody Ranch and at the Pentagon's request, he was inducted into the Army Air Forces as a Technical Sergeant.
Gene Autry (above) being sworn in as Flight Officer by Capt. Herb Dailey, on 21 June 1944 in Love Field, Texas.

With a private pilot's license under his belt, Gene set out to earn his wings as a Flight Officer. After basic training at the Santa Ana Air Force Base, and serving at Luke Field, Thunderbird Field, and Phoenix Airport, he was eventually accepted for flight training at Love Field in Dallas.

On June 21, 1944 Gene earned his service pilot wings and was promoted to Flight Officer. He was assigned to the 91st Ferrying Squadron of the 555th Army Air Base Unit, Air Transport Command at Love Field. Flight Officer Autry served with this unit from July 1942 to October 1945.
Gene Autry, America's Favorite Singing Cowboy

The C-109 was just one of the many plane types that Gene flew. The C-109 tanker is a converted B-24 Liberator bomber.

During that time Gene performed duties as a pilot on cargo type aircraft including AT-6s, 7s and 11s, C-104s and C-109s. The C-109's were used to haul fuel in the China-Burma-India theatre of operations. Flight Officer Autry made one trip to the CBI theatre via the Azores, North Africa and the Middle East. Enroute to the Azores the plane he was co-piloting had to reverse course to avoid a typhoon, flying five hours back to Newfoundland, where it landed at Gander Bay with one engine out and low on fuel. Fog rolled in and the crew was grounded for two weeks. But they completed their mission.

Also during this period he volunteered his talents as an entertainer for numerous Air Force shows. His weekly radio show Melody Ranch was cut down from its usual half-hour to fifteen minutes and renamed Sergeant Gene Autry.

Gene willingly helped at war bond rallies and recruiting drives, lending his time and talents wherever and whenever it was needed.
At the end of the war, Gene transferred to Special Services at which point he took a USO troupe to the South Pacific. He was honorably discharged from the service in 1946. During the war, Gene was awarded the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

In 1955 Gene Autry received a letter from Headquarters, Continental Air Defense Command: George F. Smith, Major General, USAF, Chief of Staff. The letter closed; "The United States Air Force is proud to have Gene Autry as a former member of this organization." No one was prouder than Gene himself.

ishmael
04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Then there's Jimmy Stewart.

Check out his wartime service in this Wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_(actor)#Military_service