PDA

View Full Version : NASA's Future

Paul Pless
04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Lots of talk about NASA this week in 'the news'.

My question are:

Is it time to decouple our space agency's funding and long range planning from our political process - especially presidential politics?

Is such a thing even possible?

As good and knowledgeable as our presidents are;)are they really qualified to be making long range planning decisions for our space agency? It seems much of the decisions they've made since about 1988 or so have been pretty whimsical.

jack grebe
04-16-2010, 09:45 AM
No, we just need a pres. that will cancel large programs for
NASA, then reinstate a small portion and praise himself
for "creating jobs".................Oh wait, we do have a pres.
like that:rolleyes:

paul oman
04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Going to the moon, Space Race, etc. was the pride of America - Almost priceless. We could use some more of that national pride. That alone makes it money well spent (especially compared to other gov programs).

Of course, proud to be an American, proud to be a member of a super power, being proud of our troops and their mission, is politically incorrect these days.

Nov. will fix that!

LeeG
04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Apollo was kind of whimsical, how about if we tie it to the military budget, just kidding. Space program is on the chopping block like everything else.

Paul Pless
04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Going to the moon, Space Race, etc. was the pride of America - Almost priceless. We could use some more of that national pride. That alone makes it money well spent (especially compared to other gov programs).There's some pretty good science comes out of NASA too. Just look to both the original and the now improved Hubble.

Paul Pless
04-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Apollo was kind of whimsical, how about if we tie it to the military budget, just kidding.hehe

I guess what gets me the most is the waste of money and the waste of vision and what certainly must be a blow to the morale of the folks that work at NASA, by a president coming along and setting the direction of research that will take twenty or more years to prove fruitful, then 4 or 8 years later the next president comes along and strikes that and gives the agency a new priority with less funds to accomplish it.