PDA

View Full Version : plovers arrive on time, lay eggs early

elf
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
If the nests survive spring, the fledglings will be gone flying by July 4.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100415/NEWS/4150321/-1/NEWSLETTER100

shamus
04-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Interesting. What sort of plover. We had masked lapwings rearing two clutches here this year.

ishmael
04-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I lived for awhile at a place with the longest strand of sand in Maine. The Piping Plover nested there, it was a preserve, and it was at a time when the bird appeared to be in decline, maybe 1980. Lovely birds, delicate sea birds, elegant in the air.

I've heard that they've made a comeback, probably because of the efforts of people who protected their nesting areas from humans and dogs.

If you get a chance, Emily, try for some photographs. We'd love to see them.

bobbys
04-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Miss Elf, Thanks for the article, Here in NW Oregon we have the Snowy Plover,I am Chairman of our watershed committee{ They do not let me speak though:)} and some of our members are really involved with protection of the Plovers here.

When we went with the local Biologist he pointed out where there were on the beach.

A couple of people saw them after that and equated it to a religious experience, Thats how excited they were..

They got really worked up!..

Bird watching is fun with the right people that have the enthusiasm.

Well they work on informing people to keep there dogs leased,leaving them alone, etc.

That section is Closed to driving.

JimConlin
04-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Piping plover tastes like chicken. :rolleyes:

bobbys
04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I've rented dogs before, but never leased them..

Touch A!:)