PDA

View Full Version : Stage Two, Part One: Forumite Yeadon to answer questions until 5 p.m. PST.

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:07 PM
My friends, you know the drill. I will answer any question, reasonable or unreasonable, with a reasonable or unreasonable answer.

I will not delete this thread. Promise, mostly.

John of Phoenix
04-15-2010, 05:15 PM
marginal canary

Now what?

leikec
04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Why is it bad to split an infinitive, and would Captain Kirk approve of your answer?

Jeff C

John of Phoenix
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Where's those pics of that freckled hottie you were telling Paul Pless about privately last week?

Phillip Allen
04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
which is it closer to Dallas or by bus?

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Now what?

I'm not sure. I just like how it sounds.

Why is it bad to split an infinitive, and would Captain Kirk approve of your answer?

Jeff C

It's funny you would ask as, according to wiki ...

A famous split infinitive occurs in the opening sequence of the Star Trek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek) television series: to boldly go where no man has gone before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_no_man_has_gone_before). Here, the adverb "boldly" splits the full infinitive "to go."

A two-parter:
How do you account for your obvious brilliance?...and...
How do your boating buddies put up with you?

I know who you are.

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Where's those pics of that freckled hottie you were telling Paul Pless about privately last week?

Pless got banned from WBF for a reason.

which is it closer to Dallas or by bus?

This question is soooooo Phillip Allen.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Pless got banned from WBF for a reason.

This question is soooooo Phillip Allen.

your answer is soooooo lj :)

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Let's talk about your relationship with your father, and how it relates to LJ.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Let's talk about your relationship with your father, and how it relates to LJ.

sure...I have one

switters
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm trying to match my canoe paddle blades to my aura, wtf does my aura look like and what color is it.

Signed,

Color blind in Colorado

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
sure...I have one

Great! Now, I have to admit that I haven't been following you two at all. Never read either of your stuff. So first, tell me about your friend, lj, and why he's on your mind.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
he's on my mind the same way other peoples' flatulance is (when ever he is on my mind at all)

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm trying to match my canoe paddle blades to my aura, wtf does my aura look like and what color is it.

Signed,

Color blind in Colorado

WHAT IS THE AURA?

The aura is the electromagnetic field that surrounds the human body (Human Energy Field-HEF) and every organism and object in the Universe.
The Human Energy Field as a collection of electro - magnetic energies of varying densities that permeate through and emit or exit from the physical body of a living person. These particles of energy are suspended around the healthy human body in an oval shaped field. This "auric egg" emits out from the body approximately 2-3 feet (1 metre on average) on all sides. It extends above the head and below the feet into the ground.

[/URL]

2. Find your aura color with [URL="http://www.gurl.com/play/quizzes/quiz/0,,625837,00.html"]this easy quiz (http://www.reiki-for-holistic-health.com/chakra-aura-picture.html).

3. Call George Kirby! (http://www.kirbypaint.com/)

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:44 PM
he's on my mind the same way other peoples' flatulance is (when ever he is on my mind at all)

This is why I don't read you boys.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
smells like a good answer to me

johnw
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
If they ask about...you know...don't tell them.

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 05:53 PM
If they ask about...you know...don't tell them.

It'll never even occur to them to ask. Haven't you met these people?

Incidentally, here's a photo of johnw about to leap off a sharpie.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2275/4513789104_e510d445f4.jpg

SMARTINSEN
04-15-2010, 06:31 PM
So why is it the if Joe's boat is bigger than yours, his is only a Tidbit, and yours is Big Food?

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Names are a reflection of a boat's soul, my friend. I'm sure Tidbit had a very good reason for choosing that name for herself, as did Big Food.

SMARTINSEN
04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Both exceedingly tasty, nonetheless.

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Also, I wouldn't go telling Big Food that she's not the biggest boat in the pond. A bit of a complex there about that sort of thing ...

I would certainly not mention that Tidbit is larger.

Captain Blight
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
So: How about those Minnesota Twins?!

Also, I am curious to know more about the lug-yawl rig. IF a person had a really well-shaped and -placed centerboard, do you think (say) an Arctic Tern would really give up that much windward ability?

Also, would you recommend birdsmouthed oars for this type of boat, and how long should oars be for this boat, wouldja say.

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 07:08 PM
So: How about those Minnesota Twins?!

Also, I am curious to know more about the lug-yawl rig. IF a person had a really well-shaped and -placed centerboard, do you think (say) an Arctic Tern would really give up that much windward ability?

Also, would you recommend birdsmouthed oars for this type of boat, and how long should oars be for this boat, wouldja say.

Not sure about the Twins (are they amazing this year?) ... but I love baseball season for two reasons. 1) You get to sit outside and drink beer, and 2) It means horse racing season is upon us, and that means more opportunities to sit out side and drink beer.

Isn't I'Rowboat's Dragonfly an Arctic Tern? It's also a lug-yawl. Overall, a very solid boat. Seems like its windward ability whooped Big Food, which as currently configured "is a bit of a reacher."

I think Oughtred's plans probably spell out the correct lead between the spar and a centerboard on the tern.

Oars are like jeans, you just know when they're right. This means you'll have a few pairs that look fine, and should be fine, but are not comfortable in any way. Seems like you'd want solid looms on those oars, but I couldn't make a great argument for the exact reason why you wouldn't do it.

Nanoose
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Pless is banned?!!?? :eek: No way...

Captain Blight
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm picturing night coming on, the sea working up, wind dead on the nose, a leak coming from someplace I can't find, and me miles from home. I might appreciate the weight of inch-and-a-half ash looms then. I tend to forget my own strength when I'm panicked.

Now, for masts, the make a little more sense to me, though with a solid mast as short as one (two, I guess) for a Tern, all I'm really doing is spreading the ballast vertically a little.

Nanoose
04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Not sure about the Twins (are they amazing this year?) ... but I love baseball season for two reasons. 1) You get to sit outside and drink beer, and 2) It means horse racing season is upon us, and that means more opportunities to sit out side and drink beer.

Isn't I'Rowboat's Dragonfly an Arctic Tern? It's also a lug-yawl. Overall, a very solid boat. Seems like its windward ability whooped Big Food, which as currently configured "is a bit of a reacher."

I think Oughtred's plans probably spell out the correct lead between the spar and a centerboard on the tern.

Oars are like jeans, you just know when they're right. This means you'll have a few pairs that look fine, and should be fine, but are not comfortable in any way. Seems like you'd want solid looms on those oars, but I couldn't make a great argument for the exact reason why you wouldn't do it.

Hey! :mad: That was posted at 5.08, and you said you'd be answering until 5.00 :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Pless is banned?!!?? :eek: No way...

Yup, he's been out of control for way too long. Had it coming. Surely.

I'm picturing night coming on, the sea working up, a leak coming from someplace I can't find, and me miles from home. I might appreciate the weight of inch-and-a-half ash looms then. I tend to forget my own strength when I'm panicked.

Now, for masts, the make a little more sense to me, though with a solid mast as short as one (two, I guess) for a Tern, all I'm really doing is spreading the ballast vertically a little.

I just built a birdsmouth spar that is 15'3. It is spruce, and weighs a touch more than 12 lbs. That's not a lot of weight aloft, and not that much weight to heft around if you have to strike your mast quickly and get to rowing. My older solid doug firs spar weighs quite a bit more, and generally, striking the spar could be better described as a "controlled fall," which is no fun for your crew.

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey! :mad: That was posted at 5.08, and you said you'd be answering until 5.00 :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Keep it up, Nanoose, and I'll delete this thread. I don't want any trouble from the Great North. Anyways, that giant fireball over the midwest set Seattle's clocks back 94 minutes. Most people don't know this.

Nanoose
04-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Ya....you realize you can fall into error when you go past your time? ;) Pless is alive and well talking The Trinity in Hell. HA! :D

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I guess they let Pless back. Weird. If they'd asked me, I'd have Durden'd him for good.

James McMullen
04-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Okay. . .just got here. The quiz showed my aura came up as green and said that not only am I apparently "often motivated by a desire for power", but also that I am "a girl with a purpose who's willing to work hard."

Wait a minute. . . .It's 6:30! Dammit! Did I miss it? Will this thread resume tomorrow? I need to discuss these troubling revelations!

Yeadon
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
The thread must go on.

I, Rowboat
04-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Did somebody say my name?

switters
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeadon, still waiting for an answer to James. I have a green aura also, and I'm not sure which is more troublesome, having the same aura as Mr. McMullen or an aura that says "a girl with a purpose who's willing to work hard"

James McMullen
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Switters, maybe it's our shared Colorado heritage or somethin'. Us mountain girls gotta stick together, honey.

Yeadon
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeadon, still waiting for an answer to James. I have a green aura also, and I'm not sure which is more troublesome, having the same aura as Mr. McMullen or an aura that says "a girl with a purpose who's willing to work hard"

Hey girl! I'm confused. What exactly is the question at this point?

More important, have you painted the tips of your oars green yet?

Ha ha! You girls have green auras? Mine’s orange. "Orange auras are the daredevils of the world. They love to take risks and crave the adrenaline rush they get from doing so. They live to push themselves beyond their physical limits and are often great strategists, planning how next to test their survival skills."

Mr. Yeadon, here’s a stumper for you. Who and where is our ‘Dutch’?

Dutch is a lot like the West Coast, in which he is always just off to the side while remaining a defining feature of all surroundings.

I would reveal the true name of Dutch, but then half of this forum would take their disability checks somewhere else.

Captain Blight
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around n-dimensional multiverse theory. Can you help?

Yeadon
04-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Doubtful, though I do know that you have to be open to answers that are otherwise unpalatable. Is this the crux of the problem?

Captain Blight
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
No, the problem is that I get confused by math that's much tougher than the quadratic equation. I was thinking maybe a pill, or a burst of gamma radiation....

Yeadon
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
No, the problem is that I get confused by math that's much tougher than the quadratic equation. I was thinking maybe a pill, or a burst of gamma radiation....

So this is a skill you have never had? And want? Or a skill that you had and lost?

Here's a picture of shoefly pie. Try that. I think the pill and/or gamma radiation will only offer disappointment.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/ShooflyPie2.jpg

I, Rowboat
04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, Cap'n. After all, it is just a theory.

Nonetheless, perhaps Yeadon can give us a brief proof of whether or not three positive intergers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for any integer value of n greater than two.

Please, show your work.

Captain Blight
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
So this is a skill you have never had? And want? Or a skill that you had and lost?Not really, I'm just asshatting.

Here's a picture of shoefly pie. Try that. I think the pill and/or gamma radiation will only offer disappointment.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/ShooflyPie2.jpg
PAH!!

Joe Dupere
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Where were you twenty years ago, when I could remember what questions I wanted to ask?

Joe, FFPoP

Yeadon
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Bummer. I was 17 and knew everything.

Captain Blight
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Is "needy woman" as much a redundancy as "crazy woman?"

paladin
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
How many shift register (flip flop) sequences do it take to make 8, 388,264 cycles before it repeats?

Yeadon
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
How many shift register (flip flop) sequences do it take to make 8, 388,264 cycles before it repeats?

Wouldn't you just divide by two?

S B
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Since time and space are related, this is the right time to submit a question. If the universe was created from a singularity why is the distribution of matter asymmetrical.God's will is not an answer.

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 01:04 AM
I find your question insightful. You have asked a question, yet immediately limited the possible answers that you will consider.

Here are two thoughts.

I read a while back something that suggested the universe is curved ever so slightly. To me, that means it is not linear, so it's hard to figure that anything that bends a bit one way or another for reasons that I can't explain would end up automatically symmetrical.
It was "God's will."

Both answers were researched equally.

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, Cap'n. After all, it is just a theory.

Nonetheless, perhaps Yeadon can give us a brief proof of whether or not three positive intergers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for any integer value of n greater than two.

Please, show your work.

Perhaps he can't.

Is "needy woman" as much a redundancy as "crazy woman?"

I don't know anything about women, but I do know that some of us don't do so well alone. Better just let her be, Blight.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-20-2010, 01:59 AM
...Nonetheless, perhaps Yeadon can give us a brief proof of whether or not three positive intergers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for any integer value of n greater than two.

Please, show your work.

There is an elegant proof (http://www.fermatproof.com/) - but too large for inclusion here.

Captain Blight
04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
There is an elegant proof (http://www.fermatproof.com/) - but too large for inclusion here.

If a is a multiple of 3; and b is a multiple of 4; then c should always be a multiple of 5, assuming a right triangle.

atmartin
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
If a is a multiple of 3; and b is a multiple of 4; then c should always be a multiple of 5, assuming a right triangle.

Uhh, it's to the n, not just squared

Captain Blight
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Still should work, right? With a right triangle, those proportions stay in proportion no matter how big the numbers get.

Harry Miller
04-20-2010, 01:30 PM
What's the penalty for impersonating a mensa?

atmartin
04-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I think the trick is that it doesn't work.

a^n + b^n = c^2 is invalid for integers greater than 2

Finding an actual proof for this took a lot of effort and some very smart people.

Yeadon
04-20-2010, 02:29 PM
What's the penalty for impersonating a mensa?

Apparently none, which I have found is the magic of WBF.