PDA

View Full Version : Well this is interesting

Dave Gray
04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Just opened what I thought was junk mail. It is from a company called ECMC. They purport to be a guarantor of student loans and tell me that there was a data theft that may affect me. They discuss issues relating to a student loan, SSN, address, etc. The data theft happened on March 21, 2010.

At first I thought this was junk mail and an attempt to get credit information but the more I look at the letter the more I don't think so.

I helped my daughter with a student loan application but we were not qualified.

They recommend that I sign for Triple Alert online, look at my credit file, perhaps put a freeze on my credit file, and maybe talk to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

Having been a victim of fraud due to my own stupidity (I long ago recycled checks from a bank that had been absorbed by another - someone went recycle diving) I take such matters seriously. So I will be checking into it.

Others may want to see if they are similarly affected.

htom
04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
There appear to be such a company, at www.ecmc.org; whether they're real or just a sophisticated phishing thing I don't know. They want a lot of info for an email; I sent them one with mostly noise values asking why there wasn't a copy of the email on the front page.

(The Triple Alert on-line I've never heard of, credit freeze may be hasty, but you should be checking the three reporting services. Free report once a year, you can ask for one from A, wait four months, ask from B, wait four months, get one from C, so you're at most four months behind what they're telling each other every night.)

George Jung
04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Found this by 'google':

Beware of harassing phone calls

Complaint Rating: http://www.complaintsboard.com/img/rating/rating_15.gif

ECMC Educational Credit Management Corporation

1 Imation Place, Bldg 2 Oakdale, Minnesota 55128
Saint Paul Minnesota 5517-0848
United States of America
Phone: 800-780-7997
Web Address: www. ecmc.org

Category: Colleges and Universities (http://www.ripoffreport.com/Education--Instruction/Colleges-and-Universities/Search.aspx)

Submitted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

ECMC recently offset my tax return. I filed a Statement of Financial Status form with them stating my situation and requesting my Income Tax Refund. I spoke with Greg Connelly(manager) he was very rude and marked me. "He said, we are going to take your refund next year" then hang-up on me. Then I call to speak with another manager, Ms. Debbie. Thats when she informed me that my student loan went from $11,000.00 to $21,465.01. I think this is ludicrous. It's bad enough that we are in a Resection notwithstanding that i am a mother of three, one in college, having to have filed bankrupcty and i worked for a labor union. Most times i work less then 30 hours a week. I agreed to pay $50 a month on my original loan, which is $11,000.00 not 21,465.01. i am living pay-check to pay-check, I need my money.

Really doesn't tell ya much, does it? I'd check with your BBB or States Attorney General, before responding to this. Let us know.