PDA

View Full Version : Who's to blame for the political mess? You.

David G
04-13-2010, 04:08 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/233158

I don't mean to suggest that honesty vs. dishonesty is what divides the two parties. Increasingly, the crucial distinction is between the minority of serious politicians on either side who are prepared to speak frankly about our choices and the majority who indulge the public's delusions. I would put President Obama and his economic team in the first category, along with California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-01-06-schwarzenegger-address-legislature_N.htm). Republicans are more indulgent of the public's unrealism in general, but Democrats have spent years fostering their own kinds of denial. Where Republicans encourage myths about taxes, spending, and climate change, Democrats tend to stoke our fantasies about the sustainability of entitlement spending and the cost of social programs.

This is what I mean when I express my hope that Obama will be the first in a string of grown-up presidents (of whatever party).

Kaa
04-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Who took the cookie from the cookie jar?

Kaa

Keith Wilson
04-13-2010, 04:12 PM
It's true about Schwarzenegger too. While I may not always agree with him, he acts like an adult, despite the fact that he has an impossible job.

oznabrag
04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Hear! Hear!

Ian McColgin
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Not a bad essay. There is a national problem with political discourse but for every example of grand debate - like the Lincoln Douglas debates - there are dozens - Rum, romanism and rebellion - that are nothing more than vile sloganeering. The Bilge is interestingly different. Often things get somewhere past intense, but this is one of the few forums where people of quite divergent and strongly held opinions come back time after time to argue. It's a good thing.

leikec
04-13-2010, 04:31 PM
The Lincoln - Douglas debates had plenty of vile sloganeering...interspersed with moments of grand debate. I'm sure the entire series would have been great political theater....

Jeff C