PDA

View Full Version : Albert Stranges Otter

Will
06-06-2001, 03:23 PM
Time to prune my Photopoint account but I did want to give this design from 1895 an airing in cyberspace before laying her up on CD .

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1241008&a=9181596&p=32564111

Thad
06-06-2001, 05:17 PM
Good choice, as any Strange wholesome small cruiser would be. With her narrow heavy iron plate raised by the arm and tackle off the mast, the cabin would be as open as it could be in a centerboard boat of this size. Accordingto the notes the boat was built in Canada and was last heard of in Montreal in 1921.

John B
06-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Neat. easy lines. Looks much more modern than 1895.

Will
06-06-2001, 07:35 PM
John I felt the shape of the ports had a contemporary feel .What were you refering to ?

John B
06-06-2001, 08:01 PM
I can usually pick age of design by general form. Sometimes you see boats ahead of, or behind their time . You could have said that boat was designed from the 1930's to 50's and most people would accept it.
You're right about the portlights. Hadn't thought about that.

Keith Wilson
06-07-2001, 09:08 AM
What a lovely thing! I'm a Albert Strange fan anyway, but this is a particularly nice one. That centerboard (centreplate, I suppose I should call it) gives me the heebie-jeebies , though. One grounding with any side force at all, and you'd never get the %$#@ thing back in the case. A lot of Strange's smaller designs have similar arrangements, (some even worse) where the CB is compromised structurally to open up cabin space. I guess it was just a compromise folks were used to at the time, much like how people today put up with ugly clorox-bottle shaped boats to get more interior volume. Sure does make me want to start clearing out the garage, though.

Will
06-07-2001, 01:51 PM
Seems like with modern materials like FRP the structural and foil shape problems of the "L" board could be solved pretty easily .Maybe this will be the wave of the future? Hope some of the boats in the future Look like this in any case .

Thad
06-07-2001, 04:39 PM
The way I read the plan the iron centerplate weighs 1000# and thus besides being strong would be a significant ballasting element.

Will
06-10-2001, 05:04 PM
Thad the 1100 lb. refers to the iron ballast keel .Strange doesn't give the centerplate wt. in many other profile drawings I've looked at either but my reference does give the specs. on another ( Somewhat similar ) boat with the same wt. keel which has a centerplate wieghing 235 lb.,just to give some idea of a likely wt. Wenda's listed with a ballast keel of 12,600 lb. and a centerplate of 180 lb., so I don't mean to imply that there's a fixed relationship between the two .

A 200 lb. plus plate seems daunting enough .I'm sure it was significant ballast , tho it seems the upper 20% or so not only can't contribute to the righting moment but actually subtracts from it .I wonder what this does to the boats motion ? Also ,if in steel , what effect on the compass? I gathered from ACB that in England this is considered history best not repeated .

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-11-2001).]