PDA

View Full Version : Arizona laws permit public carrying

Shang
04-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Man arrested after his gun goes off inside El Mirage Walmart

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/2010/04/08/20100408el-mirage-walmart-gun-fired-abrk0408.html

Yes, of course we're all tempted to shoot holes in the ceiling at Walmart...

Phillip Allen
04-11-2010, 10:22 PM
What a maroon!

Dave Wright
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
If the details of this story are true, I hope everyone of us can agree that this man should no longer be permitted to legally own a firearm. (I'm a gun owner).

boylesboats
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
just couldn't stop playin' with his pistol.. a dirty habit formed.. just wanted to shoot something, and can't wait til he get to the range...

anyone that couldn't control their nerves and fiddl'd with guns.. nope.. get the hell away from me..

boylesboats
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
If the details of this story are true, I hope everyone of us can agree that this man should no longer be permitted to legally own a firearm. (I'm a gun owner).

agree.. I own guns, and I don't play with 'em

boylesboats
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
What a maroon!

maroon?:D

you meant "moron"?

yup, in the site his photo shows that he looks like one...

Michael Beckman
04-11-2010, 10:45 PM
http://poietes.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg

Whidbey_One
04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Man arrested after his gun goes off inside El Mirage Walmart

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/2010/04/08/20100408el-mirage-walmart-gun-fired-abrk0408.html

Yes, of course we're all tempted to shoot holes in the ceiling at Walmart...

From the article it sounds as if this guy had more than one screw loose.

While, in general, I am of the opinion that (as they say in Texas) "an armed society is a polite society" there are exceptions.

peter radclyffe
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM
an armed society is anything but a polite society
for those who will never recognise the difference between fear & courtesy

boylesboats
04-11-2010, 11:43 PM
http://poietes.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg

Okay okay okay :D it okay for Bugs Bunny to say so...

ishmael
04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Hm. An argument for some form of licensure? Perhaps to include a psych evaluation?

I used to live just across the border from Vermont, and was surprised to learn they have an open carry law. With the exception of hunters with a rifle or a shot gun in the gun rack of their pickup I never saw anyone packing.

Fiddling with a loaded pistol in Walmart. Hm. Ah well, the guy got arrested and no one was hurt. It could have ended much worse.

Phillip Allen
04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I like firearms. I've had all kinds before. However, anyone who goes about scareing folks with their "open carry", machine gun look alikes and those infernal "knobs" on the ends of barrels is freightening little old blue-haired ladies...and those blue haired ladies have something vastly more powerful than guns...they vote!

paladin
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
When home I slide the carbine into a saddle holster and usually carry the Smith across my left side in a cross draw fashion as it's easier to get to when wearing a light jacket...but, like most folks, the first two are .38 special or .357 shot caps for rattlesnakes. If the local gestapo ever have any reason to think other wise they'll ask to see your weapon, and if it's rat shot usually just hand it back and say thanks, the carbine is for coyotes when out riding away from town.

Phillip Allen
04-12-2010, 09:13 AM
When home I slide the carbine into a saddle holster and usually carry the Smith across my left side in a cross draw fashion as it's easier to get to when wearing a light jacket...but, like most folks, the first two are .38 special or .357 shot caps for rattlesnakes. If the local gestapo ever have any reason to think other wise they'll ask to see your weapon, and if it's rat shot usually just hand it back and say thanks, the carbine is for coyotes when out riding away from town.

I've done the same thing with shot-caps for at least 30 years...for the same reasons

Paul Pless
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
i wonder if bigfella has any stats for how many male citizens of arizona die from a gunshot :p

Phillip Allen
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
41 (specifically males who are left-handed and right-eye dominant...keeps the numbers right ya know)

paladin
04-12-2010, 09:51 AM
17 to 24 firearms death annually from 1986 to 1996.
The 1996 Arizona firearm-related mortality rate was 55 percent higher than the national rate, and 44 percent higher than the Arizona 2000 health objective of 14 weapon-related deaths per 100,000 population.

Phillip Allen
04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
too many Californains in Arizona

RodSBT
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Too many illegals.

John of Phoenix
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Today a law went to Governor Jan Brewer for signature that allows citizens to carry a concealed weapon with no permit or training. Last week she signed a law that exempts guns made and purchased in Arizona from federal regulation, including background checks. (Strum Ruger has a plant near Prescott and semi-automatic rifles are manufactured by a Glendale company.) Not long ago our legislature & governor authorized concealed weapons to be carried into bars.

I expect this Walmart kind of mishap to happen more often in Target, Sears and possibly even in Saks.

htom
04-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Violation of all four of Cooper's rules. Prime example of someone who needs considerable more training in firearms safety.

Paul Pless
04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Holy crap. Well, I guess this is the state that keeps re-electing McCainFrom 1980 through 2004 would you have voted against John McCain if your were a citizen of Arizona? I think your criticism may be unwarranted.

Paul Pless
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I think he's a lying, opportunistic, privileged POS, and I think it's a shame for our nation he didn't die for it in the skies over Viet nam.

Yep, I went there.you shouldn't have, regardless of his or your politics:rolleyes:

John of Phoenix
04-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Meh.
The Urban Dictionary has 37 pages of definitions for "meh". Amazing.
-----------------

Prime example of someone who needs considerable more training in firearms safety.
And yet the new law allows concealed carry with no training at all. Got a gun? Pack it anywhere you want.

Oh, except the State Capitol and public schools, but they're working on a bill authorizing faculty to carry at schools.
I wonder why they exempt the Capitol? (Heh, heh.)

Phillip Allen
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Today a law went to Governor Jan Brewer for signature that allows citizens to carry a concealed weapon with no permit or training. Last week she signed a law that exempts guns made and purchased in Arizona from federal regulation, including background checks. (Strum Ruger has a plant near Prescott and semi-automatic rifles are manufactured by a Glendale company.) Not long ago our legislature & governor authorized concealed weapons to be carried into bars.

I expect this Walmart kind of mishap to happen more often in Target, Sears and possibly even in Saks.

isn't that called arguing from the specific to the general?

Phillip Allen
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I showed the article to one of the local "arm and sword of the lord" types...he thought the guy was stupid too

boylesboats
04-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Almost every stores here in my town have these posted..
http://www.mydoorsign.com/companies/safetyxpress/detailed/k/k-2851.gif

LongIslandBoy
04-12-2010, 07:47 PM
What a maroon!
Larry, I believe Phillip was quoting the great American philosopher, thinker and statesman.......BUGS BUNNY! (What do I win, Phillip?):D
Sorry, just read a bit further. Things move pretty fast around here!;)

Rich Jones
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I never liked Arizona anyway. Another reason not to go there. I need a state with LOTS of boating waters.

boylesboats
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I never liked Arizona anyway. Another reason not to go there. I need a state with LOTS of boating waters.

Awwwwww come on...:D lotsa class 3-5 whitewater actions along the Nevada (http://vegasrafting.com/riverinfo.html) and Arizona (http://www.riverfacts.com/states/az.html) borders..

Rich Jones
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Awwwwww come on...:D lotsa class 3-5 whitewater actions along the Nevada (http://vegasrafting.com/riverinfo.html) and Arizona (http://www.riverfacts.com/states/az.html) borders..

No thanks. At my age, I want very flat, very slow water!

Pugwash
04-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Open Carry. (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-april-12-2010/open-carrier-discrimination)

You know it makes sense.

:)

James McMullen
04-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Someone should have dropped him the minute he removed it from it's holster in the store. . . . Of course you would need someone else carrying to do that.

Great. That's just great. One bozo brandishes a weapon in a Walmart and your solution for this is for another bozo to whip out another weapon and "drop him".

Well, if the first bozo is going to be tried, convicted and executed on the spot like that, at least he'll have been tried by a jury of his peers.

Lysander Spooner, WTF?

John of Phoenix
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
One bozo brandishes a weapon in a Walmart and your solution for this is for another bozo to whip out another weapon and "drop him".
But that is exactly what's going to happen.
The logic goes like this - "What's the point of carrying a pistol for self defense if you don't defend yourself."

htom
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
The problem is that David Walter appears to be an idiot. Shooting him is probably not an optimal solution, but -- since he's acting like an idiot -- almost any option increases the risk to the public. Walk up to him and ask him to please return the firearm to its holster, and you may be shot for bothering the idiot, or he may shoot someone in an attempt to comply. Dial 911, hand the risk to the LEOs, but meanwhile it takes time for the cops to get there and sort out what's happened and is happening. Delegate authority and take responsibility. Hurry up, law enforcement.

Would I shoot him? Don't know. I'd call 911 and be in condition Orange until they showed up and resolved the situation. If he seemed to actually point at someone I knew who wasn't threatening him with his finger inside the trigger guard ... I'd be praying for all of us, because condition Red had arrived. Draw, warn, and front sight squeeze front sight ... he finally points at the ceiling, I relax, and the arriving cops kill me.

There are no good options, not even poor ones, just bad, and even worse. Note that if the gun was laying there on the counter, there are not any problems. It's the idiot who's the problem, not the gun.

Things that I pray never happen to anyone I care about.

Phillip Allen
04-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Some of us are projecting fantasies
please keep your fantasies in their holsters...fondle them at home if you must

John of Phoenix
04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
And keep in mind, the bill requires NO training at all for concealed carry. We're going to have gang bangers, goobers and grannies all packin' their pieces at the mall. What potential!!

Great laws from great minds. Not.

Phillip Allen
04-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm wondering, John, driving requires no training does it?

htom
04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
John, do you really think that the gang bangers are going to obey the gun laws, while they disregard the rest?

(Phillip -- more of a nightmare than a fantasy.)

John of Phoenix
04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
No. But in the past LEOs could arrest them for unpermitted concealed weapons. No longer and that's been one of the major complaints from the police departments. Oh well.

John of Phoenix
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Of course driving requires training. It also requires a written exam, a hands on driving exam, a vision exam, proof of insurance and then you're issued a license that has to be renewed periodically and can be revoked if misused.

Concealed carry now requires nothing other than a weapon. Did you have a point?

Phillip Allen
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
okay...on the driver training

I can't speak for all states but training is not required...it is assumed...the test is all that's required. pass the test and no one is asked for a deploma or proof of training

Whidbey_One
04-13-2010, 11:32 AM

I can't speak for all states but training is not required...it is assumed...the test is all that's required. pass the test and no one is asked for a deploma or proof of training

Not quite true; many states require new drivers below a certain age to show proof of having taken drivers ed before they can get a learner's permit.

hokiefan
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM

In Georgia, a backwards place in many regards, a kid under 18 has to take a classroom driver's ed class. Then the parent or guardian has to sign off on at least 40 hours of driving instruction, covering a variety of different types of driving. That won't guarentee that every kid gets the 40 hours, but my kid was well over before she got her license.

Cheers,

Bobby

Dave Wright
04-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Right on there. Someone should have dropped him the minute he removed it from it's holster in the store. Sounds like brandishing to me. Of course you would need someone else carrying to do that.
This is not about open carry. It is about stupid people.

Just ran these phrases through a syntax comparison program.

At the 95% confidence level, Lysander is Tyler Durden.:)

Phillip Allen
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Just ran these phrases through a syntax comparison program.

At the 95% confidence level, Lysander is Tyler Durden.:)

maybe they just had the same teacher?