PDA

View Full Version : iPad - I got it and it's cool!!!

McMike
04-11-2010, 08:12 AM
My boss got it for me for work. There a few really useful app's that he deemed as necessary. Honest, I tried to talk him out of it but said if he must buy it for me thet I wouldn't complain.:)

The first app is "Thing's for the iPad". This is a task manager that really brings an element of organization and instant gratification to keeping track of all the projects and operations of the shop.

The second is "Numbers". This is a spreadsheet app that needs to be a little bit more powerful but I think will allow me to do pricing and quick proposals with some form like entry, I still have to play with it. . .

The third is "Sketchbook Pro". This one will allow me to create on the fly proportional sketches using a photo overlay to in order to illustrate design concepts.

There is still a learning curve in order for me to use these apps to their fullest but I think this will honestly make my job easer.

FYI, I'm typing this on the iPad and outside of missing spellcheck I am very impressed. LOL, I need spellcheck. . .

Paul Pless
04-11-2010, 08:24 AM
The second is "Numbers". This is a spreadsheet app that needs to be a little bit more powerful but I think will allow me to do pricing and quick proposals with some form like entry, I still have to play with it. . . .surely it will run excel?

The third is "Sketchbook Pro". This one will allow me to create on the fly proportional sketches using a photo overlay to in order to illustrate design concepts. now that sounds interesting...

McMike
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think it will run excel.

The idea that I could be positively impacted by a half baked tech is a testament to the tech. Mind you, I hate Apple. . . With that, I have to say the execution of this thing is wonderful as far as the UI and accessibility. I can't wait until the programmers fully realize the power of this thing and when multi tasking comes in to play . . .

As a sales tool this thing will push the craft by leaps and bounds.

I'll let you all know how it really works with my day to day tasks.

john l
04-11-2010, 09:01 AM
the ipad runs iworks, numbers and keynotes which are proprietary
programs that open, save and operate as your standard harder to use
MS office products. from my perspective using both iworks is superior
to word/ms office in every way.
i'm ducking

McMike
04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Problem is that you can't rebuild the entire infrastructure of the world's business computing. PC and Microsoft is the standard, I couldn't move to Macs in the office if I wanted to. Most of the software that is relevant to my business is and for the foreseeable future will remain PC/Microsoft based. Apple has a great product in the iPad but it needs to be able to play nice with others or it will never grow up to the business tool it can and should be.

Captain Intrepid
04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
One of the most interesting professional uses I've heard of for the iPad, is creative professionals using it to hold their portfolios. Sharing portfolios on an iPhone has apparently become widespread, but the iPad's screen size, plus the invisibility of the hardware takes it to the next level.

McMike
04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
One of the most interesting professional uses I've heard of for the iPad, is creative professionals using it to hold their portfolios. Sharing portfolios on an iPhone has apparently become widespread, but the iPad's screen size, plus the invisibility of the hardware takes it to the next level.

This alone will allow us to present a much more succinct sales offering to our prospective clients. The picture on this thing is fabulous and the UI is graceful. I think by October when the new OS update rolls out and the app community matures this thing will be a standard for presentation based business functions never mind allowing an organizational tool that will streamline management in all regards .

Pugwash
04-11-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.wimp.com/ipadblender/

:)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-11-2010, 11:44 AM
OK, so some people think it's cool.

Is it waterproof?

McMike
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs494.ash1/27014_117353651612644_100000140300678_320072_80661 67_n.jpg
A quick sketch I did using Sketch Book on the iPad.

McMike
04-11-2010, 12:11 PM
That was all with my fingers. This is a very powerful tool.

willmarsh3
04-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Yesterday at the marina I got to look at one of these things. A guy brought it to download a movie over the WI-FI for his kids to watch while they did an overnight sail.
Today I went to the Apple Store and saw a bunch of folks around the iPads that were on display.
It looks a lot like a really big iPhone but I don't really see any other devices out there that fit the niche it's taking. Netbooks come close and then there are laptops.

ron ll
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm starting to think it may be another Segway; a beautiful solution to a non-existant problem.

John P Lebens
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Problem is that you can't rebuild the entire infrastructure of the world's business computing. PC and Microsoft is the standard, I couldn't move to Macs in the office if I wanted to. Most of the software that is relevant to my business is and for the foreseeable future will remain PC/Microsoft based. Apple has a great product in the iPad but it needs to be able to play nice with others or it will never grow up to the business tool it can and should be.

It's true that Microsoft is the business standard, but the Mac versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint (not I-Pad) can use PC files seamlessly. Microsoft Office for the Mac is a good application. However, the mail programs in Office differ between the Mac and the PC.

George Ray
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Problem is that you can't rebuild the entire infrastructure of the world's business computing. PC and Microsoft is the standard, I couldn't move to Macs in the office if I wanted to..

Steve Ballmer was quoted when asked about the iPhone. "$500 toy, it may or may not sell well, We have a strategy with mobile windows on phones and I like it very much."
That's who's going to part the tech seas and lead you out of the desert. I wouldn't hold my breath. And I think you may be surprised how quick the computing landscape will change after a paradigm shift.