PDA

View Full Version : Best Teak Deck Coating

pcford
04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I have not worked on boats with teak decks. What is the current thinking regarding the best coating product to apply?

Thanks.

Lew Barrett
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
As a finish, not as a paying compound?

Larks
04-09-2010, 11:14 PM
air and sea water. Or are you looking for a cleaner to bring up the colour of faded teak? If so Teak Minus and Teak Plus https://www.sea-shield.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=86&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=74&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

pcford
04-09-2010, 11:18 PM
As a finish, not as a paying compound?

Yes, Lew as a coating...and before anyone says to leave it bare...it presently is not bare it has a coating.

Maybe I should just go ask Steve and Peter what they use.

Don Kurylko
04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
What kind of boat? Pictures? You know the drill! :rolleyes:

Tom Freeman
04-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes, Lew as a coating...and before anyone says to leave it bare...it presently is not bare it has a coating.

Peter and Steve will likely just send you to talk to Tom and Lester, so show up about 5:00 and bring a 12 pack of beer or more and you'll get all the advice you need. ;)

Larks
04-10-2010, 03:31 AM

Any reason why you wouldn't want to strip it back to bare teak?

xtiffer
04-10-2010, 06:03 AM

Exactly. If you look at the workload of putting anything on teak
compared to sanding it back to bare wood then you will be well ahead if you strip it.
As previously said the only thing to put on it is salt water.
Cheers,
Chris
P.S. Have you seen the mess when you spill booze or salad dressing on a coated deck
and how the stain remains even after cleaning?

pcford
04-10-2010, 08:10 AM

There's plenty to do on this boat without making more projects.

Believe me.

In the fullness of time, I will share more about the boat.

SV Papillon
04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
The Guy on Magic used something that for the life of me I can't remember, it was posted on here a year or so ago. I did some research and it was compatible with TDS but the only seattle dist was waste marine. Somebody will probably know, it was a uv resistant sealer, not quite teak oil or varnish something in the middle no turning black after a year or being a ice skating ring so it seemed a good application.

Jake

Ok found it

SEMCO (http://www.semcoteakproducts.com/)

KAIROS
04-12-2010, 01:29 AM
That SEMCO. I'm ordering some. It's also a hair tonic ;).

No really, I am ordering a sample. I'll try it on a spot of recalcitrant deck. Report back in 5 years.......