PDA

View Full Version : Opinion please: Dap resourcinol vs Dap plastic resin glue

Fishpot
04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Rebuilding, repairing, and reoutfitting some of my boats(inshore commercial fishing). I have used bunches of epoxy and Dap resourcinol previously, learned to hate polyester 40 years ago. I am thinking of using the Dap plastic resin glue some. The parts/pieces, structures will be epoxy encapsulated. I think that should be OK for above the WL but how about below? How about that scenario on bait tanks and ice storage? Also on working decks, will the Dap PRG hold up OK? I would like something that is a bit easier and cheaper to work than the 2 part systems. I have several large project to do. Thanks all, Fishpot

Ron Williamson
04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
If it's encapsulated,it should be good for quite a while.
Constantly wet,not so much.
R

Thorne
04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Why not continue to use resourcinol -- other makers are still producing it. For wet locations or under the waterline I think you should avoid the plastic resin glues...

Bob Smalser
04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I am thinking of using the Dap plastic resin glue some. The parts/pieces, structures will be epoxy encapsulated. I think that should be OK for above the WL but how about below? How about that scenario on bait tanks and ice storage? Also on working decks, will the Dap PRG hold up OK? I would like something that is a bit easier and cheaper to work than the 2 part systems.

UF resin glue was preferred in masts and beneath brightwork because it blends and sands so much better better than other glues. Otherwise it is a furniture factory glue, marginal for marine use. The only reason it was ever used in boats at all is that it predates both resorcinol and epoxy. It deteriorates badly in UV light and is too brittle for applications involving thick stock and/or lots of seasonal wood movement from wetting and drying. Like bait tanks.

I'd go to the trouble of mixing epoxy or resorcinol myself. It's not much of an extra chore for the gain received, given your already heavy investment in labor and material.

donald branscom
04-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Too bad boatbuilders in California cannot get resorcinol glue anymore.

I did not mind mixing it.

Falcon500
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I like the plastic resin glue, for softwoods though, i had scarfed ash rubrails three times and they still let loose. I ended up scratching both faces with a chisel corner, they are still holding as far as i know.

It is so sensitive, you need warm water to mix and the temp needs to be above 70*F for twelve hours, hard requirments when your up north in an unheated shop;)

David Winnett
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I hope i am not taking this discussion in a different direction than the original intent but I am very interested in the possibilities of using these two glues in wooden boat construction, so far i have only used epoxy glue from one of the major suppliers and no matter how well i protect myself i almost always have an allergic reaction, face swells, red rash emerges, skin dryes and falls off, so i hope these glues will do as good of a job, thought about trying a different manufactures epoxy as i understand they use different formulas, any thoughts. Will the resourcinol hold the planks of the hull together under water?:confused:

Jay Greer
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
There was a time when Plastic Resin Glue was all we could get. Back then it was called Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue then Bordan's and finally Dap. It was used during WWII for construction of the PT Boats. It is still my choice for gluing spars and interior joinery. It is not suitible for gluing oak or teak but I have never seen a spar, I have used it on, delaminate. I have seen a lot of epoxy and and aerolite jobs, done by others, let go though. Resourcinol is less forgiving for temperature changes than is plastic resin. But, under controled conditions, it is bullit proof! It will hang oak and teak together and is my own choice for laminated timbers.
Jay