PDA

View Full Version : Primer for Alaska Yellow Cedar

Mark Giegel
04-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Looking to paint the bulwarks which is yellow cedar. What is the best primer to use . Should I stick with the recomended primer for Easypoxy enamel ? Someone has suggested that I use the Awlgrip 545 as it will bond better than the Petit product and offer a good base for the finish enamel.
Thanks in advance
Mark in Nyack , NY

Gold Rock
04-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Half my boat is AK yellow cdr. and I've had perfect results using mfr. recommendations, be it one part PU's or oil based enamels. The only reason I've ever imagined deviating from the mfr. recommendations is if said recommendations have failed to produce satisfactory results. They never have. G'luck.

Bob Cleek
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Since you're asking, I'd stay clear of the 'poxies entirely. They can be tricky to use and finickey. They are also sometimes a bugger to sand when it's time to refinish.

Seal the bare wood with CPES. Apply a standard sanding base coat, Interlux, ZSpar, Petit. Do your surface prep and apply a quality alkyd enamel, such as, again, Interlux, ZSpar, Petit, Kirby's... or even Rustoleum, if you're really on a budget. Frankly, I wouldn't want to put Awlgrip on a wooden boat at all. Pick your own poison, though.

Jay Greer
04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
My own choice of primer under oil based paints is very thin red lead. Thin so that it will soak into the grain of the wood is the ticket. Two thin coats are better than one thick one.
Jay

wizbang 13
04-10-2010, 12:17 PM
interlux 404/414